Tire/Rim Question

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are stock rims on a atv's the same width front to back, especially on a 2009 brute force? I know the tires are usually different widths.....

I am tying to figure out if I can put 28x12x12 Zillas front and back or do I need to buy after market rims? Thanks:beer:

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually they are the same width front and back however I would suspect you are going to need a set of wheel spacers to run 12's on the front. Inho I would opt against running 12's on the front and maybe run 9s or 10s. It would probably float good but with wheel spacers and the big rubber on the front I would be worried about cv joints.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are stock rims on a atv's the same width front to back, especially on a 2009 brute force? I know the tires are usually different widths.....

I am tying to figure out if I can put 28x12x12 Zillas front and back or do I need to buy after market rims? Thanks:beer:

You'd need spacers for sure and maybe a different set of rims. It would be harder than he'll on your front end but damn would it chew.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually they are the same width front and back however I would suspect you are going to need a set of wheel spacers to run 12's on the front. Inho I would opt against running 12's on the front and maybe run 9s or 10s. It would probably float good but with wheel spacers and the big rubber on the front I would be worried about cv joints.

are cv joints weeker front as to the back, they look the same to me???

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There would be added stress on the front cvs from the force required to turn the 12" wide tires on the front. The rear cvs don't turn and rotate like the front ones do. Plus without power steering that brute would be a pain to maneuver in tight spots

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes 12's are too wide for the front with out spacers or offset rims..... but just cause the front tires are 12 wide won't be the problem [ won't make it much more on the front ] its the out side size to turn is the biggy.... plus the extra steering effort , plus the room to turn both ways to full lock with out rubbing

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most stock rims on quads have a wider rim on the rear than the front, although i know cowastucki likes to be different. can't see the front tires turning any different than the rear, last i looked they all are round? you have to realize the drive train is made to withstand a certain amount of stress. with larger tires etc you will find that limit in a hurry, get a big fat wallet, you will need it.

Last edited:

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah you guys are probably right, 12's are too wide for the front, there is a set on kijiji, for a good price, the guy has them in the west end today, but there 28x12x12 all four...oh well, maybe rapid revolutions will get 28's in stock one of these days......they seem to have the best prices....they are available at other places in town....just more $$$$

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah you guys are probably right, 12's are too wide for the front, there is a set on kijiji, for a good price, the guy has them in the west end today, but there 28x12x12 all four...oh well, maybe rapid revolutions will get 28's in stock one of these days......they seem to have the best prices....they are available at other places in town....just more $$$$

if i didn't get the 30 xxl mud lights i bought used for cheap i would have bought 28 zillas..........

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

your front CV joints just take a lot more of a sh1t kicking cause you're constantly turning, There is only so much articulation before they bind and wont spin anymore without going through a horrible hopping direction. That's when one would break. Or with a ton of torque spinning a wheel that suddelnly makes contact with something solid like a root or a rock

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never go more than a 10 inch front tire without power steering. Also wide tires/offset are really hard on all front end parts......

Top Bottom