The downside to an AWD car

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
AWD and traction control are two separate systems, depending on the design of the system.
There are Full AWD systems and part time AWD systems thats incorporated the AWD into the traction control, with different levels of traction control.

Than there is skid control.

So look at a 4WD truck with bigger tires. Sometimes the spare tire is not upgraded to the bigger tire. If the person puts the spare tire on the driveline is going to hate life, especially if 4wd is used.

I have a curious question.... My truck comes with factory 20's and the spare is a 17" Why would a manufacturer do this?

I have to book an oil change at the dealership as well this week and I will ask the same question

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
The TPMS didn't give a warning?

I wasn't in the car, Daughter said she heard a loud noise but thought it was the semi beside her, by the time the car felt funny and she realized the noise was from our car the sidewall was shredded from the rim.

The wife will keep this car for the next 10 years and we still have 4 years of warranty on it so I don't want to bugger anything up and give them an excuse not to cover any transmission or differential parts if something goes wrong.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a curious question.... My truck comes with factory 20's and the spare is a 17" Why would a manufacturer do this?

I have to book an oil change at the dealership as well this week and I will ask the same question

It’s not the rim diameter that matters as long as the tire diameter is the same. Which it will be .
They do it to save money is my guess ?
All my trucks have all came with a cheap steel wheel and most times it’s a 17 inch with high profile tire to match the ones on the truck .

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You need to look at the outside diameter of the tire and compare. The rim diameter is irrelevant.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Same outer circle size buddy lol

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still call BS. More likely problem is that most of the awd systems use components that are sealed (cheap + shop time) and have no manner of checking for routine maintenance. The system has to allow for slip otherwise it would lock up and not be able to turn. The wear difference between tires is effectively the same as slip - one tire travelling a further distance than another for a given period of time ....
Taken to the extreme it could pose an issue if it exceeds the design limits and capabilities but not likely in this case.
Well I can attest to it lol

Vehicle with no issues, swap over summers worn 4/32 different front to rear and 2 days later and 200 km and rear diff is fawked

2016 gmc terrain that's awd all the time, kept coming up rear diff over temp, client tried to baby it back home from a trip

That's what happens, computer thinks front is spinning and adds more to the rear, and cooks the diff

2018 and newer terrains have 2 wd and awd nob, so most of the time till asked its now front wheel drive

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To cheap to buy a proper spare but willng to carry two wrong sized spares.....
Dude you get dumber every day.

A 35 won't fit under and short box is small. I need the room. I carry one stock spare. I don't get many flats, thanks for your concern tho.

I guess that makes me dumb. I'm thinkin I'm not the only dumb guy around here if that's the case.

Cheap? those tires were about 400 ea.

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 35 won't fit under and short box is small. I need the room. I carry one stock spare. I don't get many flats, thanks for your concern tho.

I guess that makes me dumb. I'm thinkin I'm not the only dumb guy around here if that's the case.

Cheap? those tires were about 400 ea.

Nope , but you’re winning by a lot !!!!

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I can attest to it lol

Vehicle with no issues, swap over summers worn 4/32 different front to rear and 2 days later and 200 km and rear diff is fawked

2016 gmc terrain that's awd all the time, kept coming up rear diff over temp, client tried to baby it back home from a trip

That's what happens, computer thinks front is spinning and adds more to the rear, and cooks the diff

2018 and newer terrains have 2 wd and awd nob, so most of the time till asked its now front wheel drive
Rest my case - likely uses same type sealed diff ... can't check the fluid and not designed to be changed ....
Is the requirement for acceptable wear tolerance between tires clearly stated in the owners manual????

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rest my case - likely uses same type sealed diff ... can't check the fluid and not designed to be changed ....
Is the requirement for acceptable wear tolerance between tires clearly stated in the owners manual????
Has gear oil and drain plugs in rear diff and t case

Oh I'm sure it does

But who reads the manual??? No one, and I can a test to this also, on the stupid client complaints on stuff not working, that they switched off lol

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Take the tire size off the sidewalls trashy and plug them into a tire size calculator... you'll be surprised at how similar the dimensions and circumference are between the 2.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slight tire circumference being to much can still cause issue, think of the tire rotation difference when driving for 100 km for example. larger tire will be pulling and smaller tire will be skidding, like Tex has been saying clearance in t-case dosen't allow much difference in circumference of tires.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slight tire circumference being to much can still cause issue, think of the tire rotation difference when driving for 100 km for example. larger tire will be pulling and smaller tire will be skidding, like Tex has been saying clearance in t-case dosen't allow much difference in circumference of tires.
Yep try and buy 2 tires for a 4 wheel dive or AWD vehicle at a dealership or tire store. They will fight you tooth and nail that you need to buy all 4 at a time.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not nearly as big of a deal for a 4x4, also depends a lot on time of year, if you have an entire summer to run the new ones on the rear to catch up to the front also. I've ran rears at 50% and fronts at 75% no issues, all 4 put on at the same time, rears just wear that much faster. A few 32's tread difference even run at highway speed for 30-40km at a time isn't a big deal. A lot of it comes down to how long they are getting run like that. Even side to side is a concern as it will turn the diff and eventually take it out.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not nearly as big of a deal for a 4x4, also depends a lot on time of year, if you have an entire summer to run the new ones on the rear to catch up to the front also. I've ran rears at 50% and fronts at 75% no issues, all 4 put on at the same time, rears just wear that much faster. A few 32's tread difference even run at highway speed for 30-40km at a time isn't a big deal. A lot of it comes down to how long they are getting run like that. Even side to side is a concern as it will turn the diff and eventually take it out.

Why not run all your tires to 0% tread if you're not going to use trailer brakes?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the new 4x4 's, does cause issues

Makes it take longer to unlock and lock in

Most new 4x4 trucks also have auto mode, which makes t case slip all the time until it see' s wheel speed differences

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we had a AWD Dodge Caravan. i rotated them every second oil change. about 100,000 would put 4 new ones on it..at about 300,000 Trudy had a flat 500 miles from home and put the donut spare on the back..when she got home. the transmission was done.. she didnt know.felt bad. so i removed the built in transfer case and rear drive shaft and she got another 120,000 out of it.. finally gave it awat at about 500,000 to young man who delivered newspapers with it for another year or so.

Top Bottom