Tire reccomendations?

shawn.t

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Need some new tires and hoping for some suggestions. I mostly ride mclean creek and nordegg areas, ie. rocky/hardpack with a bit of mud. I have Maxxis Maxxcross ITs on right now and they work well but i'd like to try something different

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you riding? RM250?

Pretty hard to beat the Maxxis Maxxcross IT, I have a near new one sitting on the shelf as a back up. I just gave away a new Maxxis EN as I am very happy with my Michelin Trails Tire that I recently swapped to. The Maxxis EN is a wider tire than my stock 100/100 as well. I actually traded it for a MotoZ Tractionator. If you don't mind a wider tire the EN is a decent tire, grips more than the IT.

Many people like the M12 XC's though. The S12 is a little hard and doesn't grip as well on rock. Very minor difference though. The S12 might wash out a little more on loose rock as it is slightly harder.

For now, I have about 6-7 hours on my Trials Tire, running 7-8 lbs with heavy duty tubes. Very impressed. I think you have to actually try one to really see how well they work. Followed a few people in some super tight rooty, snotted up single track last weekend, they would wash out in several sections and the TT just stuck and climbed. So if any single track at all is in your riding, its worth a look. The only downside so far is loose down hill. It tends to want to lock up quickly. I don't see myself going back to a knobby anytime soon.

shawn.t

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
What are you riding? RM250?

Pretty hard to beat the Maxxis Maxxcross IT, I have a near new one sitting on the shelf as a back up. I just gave away a new Maxxis EN as I am very happy with my Michelin Trails Tire that I recently swapped to. The Maxxis EN is a wider tire than my stock 100/100 as well. I actually traded it for a MotoZ Tractionator. If you don't mind a wider tire the EN is a decent tire, grips more than the IT.

Many people like the M12 XC's though. The S12 is a little hard and doesn't grip as well on rock. Very minor difference though. The S12 might wash out a little more on loose rock as it is slightly harder.

For now, I have about 6-7 hours on my Trials Tire, running 7-8 lbs with heavy duty tubes. Very impressed. I think you have to actually try one to really see how well they work. Followed a few people in some super tight rooty, snotted up single track last weekend, they would wash out in several sections and the TT just stuck and climbed. So if any single track at all is in your riding, its worth a look. The only downside so far is loose down hill. It tends to want to lock up quickly. I don't see myself going back to a knobby anytime soon.

Unfortunately still on a little RM125, hoping to pick up a KTM 300 in the near future though. Definately interesting with the trials tire, I mostly ride tight singletrack so ill have to consider trying one for sure. How do they handle if you end up on faster trails or logging roads etc?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was surprised at how well it handled the high speed stuff. One of the recent rides I did had about 12 km of transition road which climbed a few thousand feet on loose gravel and rock with hard packed. Speeds were over 70 mph and I felt confident in every corner. I thought for sure I would have chunked the back tire and it still looks new.

With the smaller bore size on the 125 it might climb like a 250 with a trials! The downside is you have to learn how to brake again on larger loose down hills. 2 strokes already have the lack of compression braking so now you just need a little more control.

I have been hearing people are having luck with the Shinko trials tires. They are cheaper so its not a huge investment if you don't like them. I haven't tried them but they look almost the same as my Michelin. The biggest issue is I am not sure you can get them in a 19".

A 300 is a world of difference from a 125. It's like going from a 150 air cooled 4 stroke to a 505.

sent from a top secret location

shawn.t

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Wow ill have to see about trying a cheap trials tire, thanks! Any reccomendations for the front as well?

Cant wait to get that 300, honestly im riding the 125 way past what it should be doing on the trails and i should of moved up a few seasons ago. Spent a day on a 300 may long, and it was the most fun ive had riding in a long time! Now i just need the money :(

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a MX51 front now. The trials tire pushes it around quite a lot. I think I will swap to M12 xc or the Motoz Tractionator. Some guys run trials front and rear as well if they do a lot of single track I still like the knobby.

sent from a top secret location

Top Bottom