tips for repairing/rebuilding Travel Trailer wheel well????

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Had a tire seperate on me on the way home from camping yesterday and completely demolished the cheap aluminum wheel well that used to be there.

Looking for tips on what to use to rebuild it, or whether to just find another one that can be screwed down in place of the old one?

This is looking through the drawer that was blown out from the tire(1).jpg
Looking thru the cupboard

This was hanging off the trailer after the tire blew(1).jpg
the inner fenderwell

Here is what is left of the drawer(1).jpg

the drawer that was destroyed in the act.....

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that's a bad one LOL.

Dunno but new tin on either side plus something to seal it up.

Otherwise if it rains or from dust u will be mad

sent from my htc

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Well that's a bad one LOL.

Dunno but new tin on either side plus something to seal it up.

Otherwise if it rains or from dust u will be mad

sent from my htc

I've done a bit of googling today, it looks like I need to build a new "frame" if you will out of 1x2 or 2x2, then sheet it with either tin, or some people say to just use 1/4" plywood and spray the chit out of it with that spray on bed liner crap.

Step 1 is going to be investigating whats wrong with the axles, whether its bearings or the axles themselves.... paid $1500 for the trailer used it for 2 busy seasons, really can't complain, but man is this part a piss off!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I've done a bit of googling today, it looks like I need to build a new "frame" if you will out of 1x2 or 2x2, then sheet it with either tin, or some people say to just use 1/4" plywood and spray the chit out of it with that spray on bed liner crap. Id consider doing that...or Princess auto sells prefab trailer fenders see if one of them would work then seal real good around it

Step 1 is going to be investigating whats wrong with the axles, whether its bearings or the axles themselves.... paid $1500 for the trailer used it for 2 busy seasons, really can't complain, but man is this part a piss off! Good thing it happened near the end of the season.....My vote is just crap tires....If i didn't sell my old tires/rims for smirnoff you coulda had them lots of life just I don't trust trailer tires cause they do so much damage...and how can trust a name like ...power king

My $0.02....when you get new tires get something with a "R" for radial no D or H they are bias tires

Last edited:
  • Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My $0.02....when you get new tires get something with a "R" for radial no D or H they are bias tires

it has P series 245/75/R14's on it, the bearings are worn I can move the tires side to side, which of course doesn't help with tire wear.... so I know there is bearing/axle wear it will be apart in my dads yard in about 4 hrs.

I was also just looking at these at princess Auto, might be the way to go, just have to rebuild the vertical on the inside for it.....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U mean 215 75 14 right.

No such thing as a 245 in 14

sent from my htc

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Thats chitty luck TG,,I would rebild the wood inside and get some tin from a RV shop and make it as close to good as you can..

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thats chitty luck TG,,I would rebild the wood inside and get some tin from a RV shop and make it as close to good as you can..

that's what my dad and I talked about last night as I said above, 1/4" ply, 2x2's 1x2's and I think we have sheet metal in the garage still at his place..... it doesn't have to be perfect, just needs to last another couple years till I can buy a newer trailer.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I had a 1750 lb axle made with all the brackets pre-welded to match the original for $122 and that included the new hub assembly, I think the 3500lb one would have only been about $175...

I'll have to look up the name of the place.

When it comes to a trailer your axle is the most important piece and $175 is cheap insurance...

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How old we're the tires trailer tires are only good for about 7 years regardless of mileage on them probably even less as most trailer tires are Chinese junk ( china bombs) now

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've purchased quite a few axles and trailer parts from Custom Axle and Trailer Parts over the years. They build their own axles, so you get exactly what you order...cheaper than anyplace else too. Great folks to deal with. 12605, 66st (780) 413-3102.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah if there is any play in your axles, the tires are literally being dragged sideways and will not last long. you might try that rubber dam seal that they put on roofs to give the wheel well some extra strength after you rebuild the box around the wheel.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
The axles are good, it was the bearings. Its got "drop axles" on it. Also found 1 broken spring shackle, with the opposite side horrible worn, so those need done as well. Might flip the axles while I'm in there if I decide to fix it.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had to rebuild 1 side of mine this spring due to the tin rotting out, i used 3/4'' treated plywood made the wheel well box and then sprayed the crap out of it on the outside with the undercoating stuff to seal it. then on the inside made another box over top of it and spayfoamed the crap out of it to seal it, think it cost me $100 total and it is 10X stronger then the tin ever was new.

Top Bottom