Tim's?

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd challenge that by saying that most Tim's franchise owners are not my peer group or neighbours. Take a good look at who's working the counter for minimum wage next time you're there, not the owner that's for sure. Tims takes a cheap to produce commodity, adds in low cost labour and then has a huge markup. The return on investment is pretty high, and therefore there's a reason the buy-in to the franchise is HUGE. Lots of owners have more than 1 location. Let's be clear - Me boycotting Tims isn't putting a dent in anyone's pocket. Its about principle on my level, on many levels that have already been pointed out, at what point will we stop being so nice stand up for ourselves as a country. I'm not expecting this to go national, and I'm sure it will be over once the next Ebola or NPD budget or whatever makes the news next week. There's like a dozen coffee shops on the way to my office, just as easy to hit another brand though.

As mentioned, most of the sigs on the petition were from people who don't live in AB. How do you know that most of the sigs on the petition didn't come from out of work oilfield labour in the US, where they don't really have Tim Hortons anyway? Probably not, but its silly to allow people who don't use/support your business to impact your business decisions with simply an uninformed OPINION. If someone in Louisiana signed a petition to ban sled sales in Canada, or to close a certain riding area (maybe like...oh....Jumbo?) wouldn't you like to know that folks here wouldn't allow uninformed foreign OPINION to dictate our domestic policy? Its easy to say that it won't happen, and then all of a sudden it just did.

I won’t argue the signatures, I think it is all a load of BS and the Tim’s should not have pulled the ad. Majority of the people who have signed the petition were not likely Tim’s customers anyways, they are probably the Starbucks or the independent coffee shop crowd.

Having met you in the past at suds nights and when you helped with my sled once, I would say we probably run in the peer group, and personally knowing 3 owners (all brothers, but close friends with one of them) I would argue that ‘some’ Tim’s owners are in ‘our’ peer group. My close friend has rented a sled before and spent days in Golden, and who knows, maybe somebody reading this may have even helped dig him out of a snowdrift! They have all had to enter partnerships to get into ownership as the investment to get into a Tims is, as you say, HUGE, but that wasn’t cash money they put down. I don’t know of anybody who starts a business with cash, it is all loans, and they work to live just like the rest of us.

Personally, I don’t drink coffee anyway, I just have a vested interest where it effects my friends.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know some good hard working people who own Tim Hortons franchises.
But the food sucks and I don't wait in line for a hour for Coffee, so I don't go there.

Not sure what fast food has to do with oil any way.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myself personally....I usually couldn't give a rat's fat a55 less about some corporate wiener yankers and their quest for publicity, but good, bad, or indifferent, Enbridge has supplied me and my family with a pretty good life style over the years. Tim Horton's has supplied me a mediocre coffee and sh!tty doughnuts served by some TFW that can't speak English. For me, it's a no-brainer where my loyalties lie. I think I'll stop at 7-11 and pick up a coffee from somebody else who can't speak English.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won’t argue the signatures, I think it is all a load of BS and the Tim’s should not have pulled the ad. Majority of the people who have signed the petition were not likely Tim’s customers anyways, they are probably the Starbucks or the independent coffee shop crowd.

Having met you in the past at suds nights and when you helped with my sled once, I would say we probably run in the peer group, and personally knowing 3 owners (all brothers, but close friends with one of them) I would argue that ‘some’ Tim’s owners are in ‘our’ peer group. My close friend has rented a sled before and spent days in Golden, and who knows, maybe somebody reading this may have even helped dig him out of a snowdrift! They have all had to enter partnerships to get into ownership as the investment to get into a Tims is, as you say, HUGE, but that wasn’t cash money they put down. I don’t know of anybody who starts a business with cash, it is all loans, and they work to live just like the rest of us.

Personally, I don’t drink coffee anyway, I just have a vested interest where it effects my friends.

Fair enough, you are probably the first person I know (of anyone that I know that knows people who knows people) that has any affiliation to the ownership of Tim's, so I can accept your comments without prejudice if you know people who this would affect personally. Its not a vendetta against any owner personally, everyone knows it was corporate PR or posturing, and any owners affected should gladly be passing along comments to the District Managers/Board of Directors/etc who made the decision.

Like Goodngrubby though, Enbridge is a client of ours, and they treat us very well. This spring they came through with significant work, when so many others were cutting wholesale. That work helped us to keep staff through a downturn and not a have single lay off, a success we are proud of in today's economy. Our staff kept food on their tables, and that is reason enough for me to support them.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, but in his interviews, does he let his guests get a word in edgewise? There is a reporter on CHED, who called Levant out on public radio the other day...

I don't think Ezra could honestly handle being interviewed without total control of the microphone..

I will lookup the radio archive.
\

( I can't remember his name, and
Geeeez I always felt Ezra was pro west and pro oil? He is anti Islam and anti occupy movement as well. I kinda like the guy. He sensationalizes everything but he gets your attention doesn't he?

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ezra is Ezra, a bit shock drama. All that being said his foundation roots are in the right place. He totally supports Canadian/Alberta rights. We need him. However his Tim's coverage is a bit over the edge.
That being said, we need a voice to over-rule these green peace/ tide foundation propaganda!

I personally do not support Tim's or A&W anymore because their just jumping on the organic marketing theme!

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does the average donut eater buy directly from Enbridge anyway? Are they not a midstream commodity transport company delivering the resources EVERYBODY needs? Its like hating Telus or Bell. You gotta pay the bills. Also who cares??

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe they should kiss and make up and then pipeline hot double doubles right to my kitchen

ChillySeven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The lineups at tims sucks,my main reason for staying away.But the jalepeno bagels are awesome!!!!Never heard the news of tims going against oil ill have to look it up dont have tims in some of the big camps up north?
It's not actually Tim Hortons but their new owners (Burger King) who are against oil.

ChillySeven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geeeez I always felt Ezra was pro west and pro oil? He is anti Islam and anti occupy movement as well. I kinda like the guy. He sensationalizes everything but he gets your attention doesn't he?
The fact is that you will not get that type of news from the Main stream media since they are owned by progressives who hate western Canadian oil, live down east and import a large portion of their oil from other countries who are run by despots (blood oil). I suppose though that we will feel their ire here in Alberta soon enough with our new anti oil government.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, but in his interviews, does he let his guests get a word in edgewise? There is a reporter on CHED, who called Levant out on public radio the other day...

I don't think Ezra could honestly handle being interviewed without total control of the microphone..

I will lookup the radio archive.
\

( I can't remember his name, and
Yeah he is like Notley was in the leadership debate. No one could get a word in edgewise. HaHa. He has flustered the best of them with his no bull relentless attacks on interviewee's. Like I said I like him, Notley not so much.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally do not support Tim's or A&W anymore because their just jumping on the organic marketing theme!

Whats wrong with organic? You prefer chemicals and hormones in your food? lol

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
There's no such thing as organic. The same acid rain falls on all crops and the wind blows chemicals all over.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the organic business and spend thousands of dollars in lab test every year and I can tell you there is such a thing as organic. We get audited not only by independent companies as well as CFIA/USDA/EU. Sure there can be some overspray/acid raid etc but overall the in-depth lab results we perform consistently show non deductible levels.

There's no such thing as organic. The same acid rain falls on all crops and the wind blows chemicals all over.

ABOMB177

Reaction score
keurig has spoiled a guy, hot coffee of your flavour choice in a minute or two. be awesome if they made a 12v model

I've never gone to a timmy's for coffee but I do like the odd ice cap.

You should but a new truck they all come with a 120V plug....... just have to make room in the glove box to store the keurig

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should but a new truck they all come with a 120V plug....... just have to make room in the glove box to store the keurig
I'd like to see a travel specific type, smaller with no reservoir. plug a water bottle into it, a k cup, and brew a mug in the KW. I'm forced to sometimes park loaded where there's no coffee in the morning. that's never a good start to the day

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Top Bottom