Time has come again! (Polishing)

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use jewelers rouge and a 4" buffing wheel on a drill, you will get dirty. After you finish with rouge then use mothers and a small power ball to clean the surface it will shine like chrome. After all that then use Zoops protector and it will shine like chrome for two years just be gentle applying zoops because the shine is so bright even a light rub will scratch the finish. Using just mothers will brighten the tunnel but when you look directly at it you don't get the depth of shine that jewelers rouge will give. If you want to shine the rails I found that you have to sand them first to remove the extruding marks then rouge and mothers and zoops. Yes this is a serious time commitment but you get what you put into the job. dont forget the :beer::beer::beer::beer:and filter the air that you breath through a good cigar you don't want rouge and mothers dust in your lungs.

Where do you get the jewlerrs rouge and zoop?????

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
where do you get the jewlerrs rouge and zoop?????

i got all mine at princess auto.... They have assortments of finishing grades of jewellers polish in one package..... I fine polish using the jewellers polish after my son uses the mothers polish and balls to clean and polish the tunnels.

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use this product and it works amazingly well with little effort. We do the sprintcar with it and the mud/clay seems to remove easier also as it actually coats the finish.

Protective Coating Systems

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It dosnt matter what you use,It's the effort you put into it.It is a lot of work to do a good job.The tunnel I just finished on the 144 has never been done before so the way I look at it it will take two good poishing to get it to where Im happy with it.I have done my Kingcat every year since it was new and could replace my bathroom mirror with it,I will post pics when It is finihed but that the last one Im doing.If your looking for the easy polish product it dont exist.Will see if I can find any pictures of the big kitty tunnel from past years!
catmando!

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooo... I'm assuming the polishing compound cleans as well as polishes right? Asside from a really good powerwash, is there any other sort of cleaning that should be performed before polishing?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just take the shop vac and get all the dust and crap from sitting all summer and then take windex to it,Wipe it off let it dry and get at it.A couple tips,first of all apply whatever you decide to use(mothers is as good as any)A circular motion when applying is important to avoid making it look like you have a bunch of different shades of square's.When applying use rubber gloves or just you fingers,using rags soak's up what your trying to apply to the surface,If the polish isnt on the surface your creating a lot more work.As your working the pollish onto the surface it will slowly turn black,after going over the surface evenly.Take a dirty rag and wipe off the excess,it will look like dull metal.Lastly take a clean cotton rag and go to work on that spot,the harder you polish the better it looks,If it isnt good enough,Repeat untill it is shinny and even,I also use a Led Worklight to make sure it looks even.When your all done the big test is roll er out on the garage pad in the sunlight,You will find out how good of job you did!
OH YA,for you first timers.......After about a completed area of about 2 square feet,You will think,What the hell did I start this for.Garenteed.
Good Luck!

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking Good catman....:d:beer::beer:

Here are a couple I did this fall, the Dragonator and Nytro..

I also use mothers liquid and powerpolisher then cap it off with a carruba wax, gives it the ultiment shine..

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG00026.jpg
    IMG00026.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 42

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow,nice job,wish I could have got the 144 that clean.Thanks for the pics!
catmando!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is mine after about 10 hours of work, and Lots of :beer::beer::beer::d

Attachments

• 100_0714.jpg
    100_0714.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_0716.jpg
    100_0716.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_0718.jpg
    100_0718.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_0720.jpg
    100_0720.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 48

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks great fellas. The running boards look like cheese graders. How are your knuckles?

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
Where do you get the jewlerrs rouge and zoop?????

Rouge and wheels at Greggs dis. Zoop at Mopac 780-486-6900. The people that polish mags from the factory use rouge. I was at Motts today and they have some kind of vibraiton machine with polishing beads in it and it did a great job on the parts that came home with me. the wife started to give me grief on the bling so I pointed out that her bling habit is larger than mine. :eek:

DiggsNWt

Reaction score
Great looking sleds guys...never seen a polished tunnel before! I never gave polishing up the tunnel a thought.

Sharkhide is a product line that is well recommended by aluminum boat owners at riverjetmagazine forums. The line includes a protectant that keeps the finish for a good length of time on aluminum boat hulls. Polish and cleaner products are available too.

Diggs

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Finished sled number two tonight,One more to go!Lucky for me the last one gets done every year so it should be a lot less work.The other two were first timers!
catmando!

Attachments

• PB020007.jpg
    PB020007.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 42
  • PB020011.jpg
    PB020011.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 35

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice job Catmando. :thumbsup2:How many cat's have you got in the litter box now?

Top Bottom