Time has come again! (Polishing)

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Every year around now I like to polish the tunnel and pipe and whatever aluminuim I can find.This year I got Three tunnels to do,finished the first one today along with my new crossbones for my Kingcat(thx Twinturbo).
catmandio!
Let see your polising pics and tips for doing it!
Power balls suck,I do mine by hand!
Before and after on the tunnel!
Crossbones,One finished.

Attachments

• PA280003.jpg
    PA280003.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 60
  • PA290005.jpg
    PA290005.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 47
  • PA280001.jpg
    PA280001.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 48
  • PA280002.jpg
    PA280002.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 46

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Holy ,Catman i just used to wash mine HAHAHA.( Looks great though)Have you ever polished the tanks on a Kenworth?

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing better than polishing around those sharp pieces....good for the knuckles eh Catman

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Holy ,Catman i just used to wash mine HAHAHA.( Looks great though)Have you ever polished the tanks on a Kenworth?

I used to own a few sets of those tanks your talking about....No Thanks!LOL!
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing better than polishing around those sharp pieces....good for the knuckles eh Catman

Definatly hard on knuckles but very satisfying when complete!
catmando!

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice reminder, Iv'e put this elbow grease job off for way too long :( I'm way over due for a good polish. My tunnel looks like an old Coal Miner truck. :eek:

Catmando... you don't like the powerball, I agree. But what polishing compound are you useing? I would like to find a really good one. Your imput would be appreciated :)

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking good.I have also been toying with the idea of polishing the tunnel on Dragon, I know its alot of work, but I have no idea what to use.

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use mothers...it does not require alot of elbow grease...all the truckers use it to shine their wheels an tanks....easy to find at Napa or any auto part store...

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use mothers...it does not require alot of elbow grease...all the truckers use it to shine their wheels an tanks....easy to find at Napa or any auto part store...

Mothers... What do you use to polish with? Feel free to give as much detail as you can. What are you using as far as polishing tools?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I know some of you have seen my son(jr. Highmark) and my little project....... Here's the before, during cleaning, and after results.... We used mother's aluminum polish and powerballs(big and small)......... Excellent results!!!

Attachments

• '04 BEFORE 2.jpg
    '04 BEFORE 2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 583
  • '04 DONE 3.jpg
    '04 DONE 3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 571
  • SKID 3.jpg
    SKID 3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 567

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I polish the wheels on my Kenworth 2-3 times per year. I have tried at least 4 0r 5 types of polish and the easiest I found to work with is called PDQ, it is made by ALCOA (the makers of the aluminum wheels). I have tried the Power Ball and it sucks,, they just spray everything else in sight with polish. The best way to get the best shine is to go out to your local hardware, buy a package of 0000 grade steel wool,,,yes I said steel wool, go to your garage,put on some latex rubber gloves,, pull out one ball of steel wool and tear it in half,, saturate the wool with PDQ and start rubbing. Do a small patch to start so you know how much scrubbing is needed. Wipe most of polish off with one cloth then finish with a good clean terry cloth. The only place I have found this polish is at Traction , 18051-111 ave Edmonton, 780-444-4334. Mothers alum. polish would be my second choice as it was a little harder to work with, but works just as good. I started doin my 08 XP a few days ago, once you start there is no going back!! Keep a few :beer: close by, you will need it!:d

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do it Right or Dont Bother...Take it to a Proffesional Polisher...the side by side results are substantial.

Lost

RIP Fallen Angel
Reaction score
I use jewelers rouge and a 4" buffing wheel on a drill, you will get dirty. After you finish with rouge then use mothers and a small power ball to clean the surface it will shine like chrome. After all that then use Zoops protector and it will shine like chrome for two years just be gentle applying zoops because the shine is so bright even a light rub will scratch the finish. Using just mothers will brighten the tunnel but when you look directly at it you don't get the depth of shine that jewelers rouge will give. If you want to shine the rails I found that you have to sand them first to remove the extruding marks then rouge and mothers and zoops. Yes this is a serious time commitment but you get what you put into the job. dont forget the :beer::beer::beer::beer:and filter the air that you breath through a good cigar you don't want rouge and mothers dust in your lungs.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
Do it Right or Dont Bother...Take it to a Proffesional Polisher...the side by side results are substantial.

do u really think they do that so much different ?

great input guys
i think mine will shine too just depends when i fend the time

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you find this Zoops product??? Sounds like something I could use!

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

great input guys

yes they make a difference, have you ever seen what someone who knows, i mean knows how to polish can do, they know what to do and what to use!!

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know some of you have seen my son(jr. Highmark) and my little project....... Here's the before, during cleaning, and after results.... We used mother's aluminum polish and powerballs(big and small)......... Excellent results!!!

your son emailed me, sorry i never got back to him, too amny emails in a day, but what would he charge, i pretty much have the same sled as him, and he did a fantastic job on that sled. way to go for the young feller. probably shows all his girlfriends his bling!!!!

lol:specool::specool::specool:

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

great input guys

Well in my opinion it's like comparing a proffesional car paint job compared to a paint job done a home with a roller and brush.

Not knocking anyone that does their own polishing......it's a great way to draw blood and kill 6 hrs and get all black and grungy.

It all depends on what you want the end result to look like.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Well in my opinion it's like comparing a proffesional car paint job compared to a paint job done a home with a roller and brush.

Not knocking anyone that does their own polishing......it's a great way to draw blood and kill 6 hrs and get all black and grungy.

It all depends on what you want the end result to look like.
Wax on...Wax off!!:d:beer:

Top Bottom