Time for a new one??? What to get???

ANDY SAIGER

Reaction score
Hey there. So i'm in the market for a new sled. I have an 08 154 Summit X. I loved this sled from day one but I have been looking at the Polaris Pro, the Cat HCR and the Free Ride and can't make up my mind on what to go with. I like the deep stuff, trees, climbing. I'm not much on hitting huge jumps or drops.
Anybody want to throw in a little imput? I just need to be convinced one way or the other
Thanks

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Doo is on a 5 year old chassis already, this years Doo will be next years M8, big drop in value. If you want to stick with Doo you should wait for the new one. The most popular mountain sled for the last couple of years is the Polaris Pro, if you try one out you will understand why.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't hit huge jumps or do drops, then don't look at a Freeride. 30lbs of bracing for a riding style you don't do.

A 2012 Summit Etec is a great sled. The SP model has the updated gauge package now as well. Good Value.

I won't comment on a Cat, haven't ridden the new chassis. Seen lots of them around, haven't heard anyone riding one saying its awesome. Rather reserved comments. I'd love to try one.

I don't think you could go wrong with a new Pro 155. I am not a fan of them though. I love the feel of my XP chassis, 5 years old or not there is a reason the other manufactures used the XP for inspiration. If you haven't rode a Pro, you need to. Quite a bit different steering. You will over compensate very quickly on one. The people who ride them, love them. They do have a great sled out of the crate, gearing is good, clutching always nice, maybe down a few ponies on power but you don't miss it much for tree riding and such. Good sled for techinical riding.

If you are serious, get out and try a Pro, give it more than 15 minutes in terrain you normally ride in. Then jump on a new Doo.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also would go with the SP over the Freeride for your riding style. but ya like bounce said, try a pro, you might love it, most do. I do love my XP, and i did ride the new M8 for about half an hour, feels nice. cant go wrong in todays market

ANDY SAIGER

Reaction score
Im hearing way to many stories about the Cats. People not being 5 k from their trucks and having the motor lock up. So I guess its down to the RMK pro or another Doo. Decisions Decisions? Hard one to make!!!!
What is Ski Doo changing for next year model?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My 2012 SP163" with the Etec is sweet. I'm riding trees like never before. Each year has been better (2008 XPX154 and 2010 Everest 163").

If Doo is coming out with something new next year, then you should be able to get some discounted pricing on the left over 2012's.....just saying :xmas2004_15:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you really want to be the guinea pig for the first year of a new chassis? I'd try a pro and see if you like it otherwise see if you can find a 2012 summit. Couldn't hurt to ride a proclimb too, they should have most of the first year bugs worked out if you buy for next season. I rode my pro for the first time yesterday. Coming off of an 06 rev I thought that the steering was going to be an issue but after a couple of hours I got pretty comfortable with it.(mind you I was only riding in 1-1 1/2 feet of snow).

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As has already been said......cant really go wrong with either sled. All three are making pretty awesome out of the box sleds.

New etec I think is going to be the best out of the box sled. Been refined for five years and they just flat out work. But, if a new model comes out in the spring they probably will lose more value than others.

Pro rmk......Havent really heard a bad thing about this sled. A little underpowered but they just flat out work. Even with less power they will be right there with any other brand. My last couple of sleds have been XPs. Not a bit brand loyal......I just like them. I HATE the M series chassis, and I find the pro rmk feels alot like an M. Had two turboed Ms and just couldnt get on board with them. For the time I spent on a pro I did not like it at all. But with enough seat time Im sure you would get used to it.

Proclimb.....I think this is going to be one awesome sled. Awesome engine capable of some good power, but doesnt sound like they are all that out of the box. Gonna take some setup and aftermarket goodies from the sound of things.

Just my humble opinion.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
climbing,trees,deepstuff = xp 163

dont go pick up a new pro or cat and expect to b impressed with it in any of those situations. a 15 inch wide track with a terrible lug design isnt helping anyone in the steep and deep. so right out of the box you need to ditch the track. 1200$. skidoo comes with the new 2.5" 16 wide right from the factory. and its working awesome. the new etec and new front end will feel like a huge upgrade from your 08. but please dont look at a freeride. that is the opossite of what your looking for even though they are a badass looking machine. dont be scared of a 163 upgrade either. you would be supprised how numble they are. i was!

spent a few hours on numerous pros. my response is MEH at best. the real reason people buy them is because they are cheaper but you get what you pay for.

haventridden a new cat but glad you counted that one out. blowing motors, rear suspensions collapsing, intakes falling apart, a-arms crumbling, poor build qulity, the list goes on. no one wants that. if you cant pull the rope, ride, and be impressed your getting ripped off.

Last edited:

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was actually impressed with the PRO RMK for a stocker it was impressive, was out performing the etec and the cats. I'm a cat guy and it made me take a second look

ANDY SAIGER

Reaction score
f&*K I can't decide. So why not a free ride. Whats the major difference between the SP and the Summit X. My 08 Summit treated me great. I like the fact that it feels little, easy to throw around. I never thought about getting a 163. I heard in the past that they are just to long and not worth it.
As far as the pro goes I like the look of them but thats all I know. Never ridden on.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
f&*K I can't decide. So why not a free ride. Whats the major difference between the SP and the Summit X. My 08 Summit treated me great. I like the fact that it feels little, easy to throw around. I never thought about getting a 163. I heard in the past that they are just to long and not worth it.
As far as the pro goes I like the look of them but thats all I know. Never ridden on.
difference between sp and x are shocks and decals, maybe gauge cluster. Freeride is beefed up for the sledneck wannabees so its quite a bit heavier than the other 2.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im hearing way to many stories about the Cats. People not being 5 k from their trucks and having the motor lock up. So I guess its down to the RMK pro or another Doo. Decisions Decisions? Hard one to make!!!!
What is Ski Doo changing for next year model?

I wouldn't put to much stock in the motors blowing up. Seems like it has been narrowed down to a pdi issue. As far as the 2013 Doo...............you should know sometime in the new year.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The "X" has the race controls on Freeride style bars, the black painted tunnel, which snow sticks to less, and upgraded KYB's. The SP - standard aluminum tunnel, standard bars, not so great shocks, but good for many people. You probably wouldn't find an X mid season. I am not even sure I would spend the extra cash on an X again. I do like the painted tunnels. I could vinyl wrap it for a 1/4 of the price difference though. SP and X have same gauge package now.

If you haven't ridden a Pro, don't run out and buy one. Either find someone who has one and try it for half a day, or rent one before you drop thousands of dollars on something you won't like. I can't stand how they feel. If you have to ride any amount of trail system in to your riding areas I wouldn't get a Pro either. No front coolers (as far as I have seen), run much to hot and I find they are unstable if you ride fast.

I'm not a big guy and I strongly considered a 163 this year. I am comfortable on my 154 and stayed with it though. I could have flipped a coin to make that decision and been happy on either one. Its only 4" of over all length to move around, take a little more effort to get the track to spin in tight areas but its going to float much more.

You can't even compare an '08 to a 2012 etec. Sure its the same chassis, but they are completely different sleds.

ANDY SAIGER

Reaction score
what are the chances of finding a 2012 Summit X 154? i like the white and black one. the black tunnel is sick

Top Bottom