thundercat axels why do they break?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definately not rider error, too much power i would guess......;)

I was in a big skeg hole,,and had it pinned all the way then caught a tree with one front wheel:beer::beer:

Drove it back to camp so really buggered axle then..

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a cat and ride with a t-cat.Depending on the year,the biggest problem believe it or not is in your rear diff.Cat uses a spike load dampener in the rear diff and it is designed to slip when too much torque is applied to the diff.The problem with this system is if you are on the throttle, in the mud and she slips, ALL 950+cc's are transferred to the front. You put that much torque on your front axles alone, on any big bore and you are going to snap axles.There is a very easy fix for the 08-09 years.You weld the SLD solid so no more slipping and no more abrupt transfer of power to the front axles.I can send you a link with detailed instructions on how to do this.As stated above ,never use diff lock in reverse and don't be thumb happy when in diff lock.There is also a very simple fix for the blown oil cooler lines called the the burp bottle mod which relieves excess crankcase pressure. That being said,when you combine large aggressive tires with huge amounts of low end torque your chance of breaking things goes up dramatically.My buddy has not broken an axle since the sld weld.He has 29.5 outlaws and runs the 2011 1000 axles.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think no one here is saying Cat is the only one that breaks axles. We all agree, an over zealous thumb and big heavy tires are the #1contributor. However all things being equal, it just seems there are more cats breaking axles than some of the other brands.

I have talked to so many riders lately that have gone to other brands because of this, honestly when was the last time you heard someone leave a Canam/popo/brute ,etc for a Cat ?I have owned 5 cats (300,400,500,650) all were solid bikes,the new fully cat bikes i am not so sure on.....imo

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt the 08 and 09 T-cat's had problems,to the point that Cat has actually dropped the t-cat name for the 2011 model year.They are going in the right direction though.The torque from cat 1000 engine is crazy and the biggest contributor to broken axles.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have a LOT riding on there new side/side.....Betting the farm you could say! I think now a days if you don`t have UTV as well as an atv you are done.....
Polaris sells about 10 rzrs for every quad they sell right now and are six months behind in production.....

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have a LOT riding on there new side/side.....Betting the farm you could say! I think now a days if you don`t have UTV as well as an atv you are done.....
Polaris sells about 10 rzrs for every quad they sell right now and are six months behind in production.....
If there new sxs comes in a 50" maybe. If it hits the dealership looking anything like the proto type we saw at the unveiling then Kudos to cat.There is talk that they are coming out with some pretty cool new stuff in the quads as well.Now that they are doing all there own manufacturing and building they should have a lot more control.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully ,they learned from Canam`s mistake: You need 2 kinds of utvs SPORT and UTILITY and no they can`t be the same.......The days of the rhino with alloy rims and stripes don`t cut it for sport anymore...lol

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a cat and ride with a t-cat.Depending on the year,the biggest problem believe it or not is in your rear diff.Cat uses a spike load dampener in the rear diff and it is designed to slip when too much torque is applied to the diff.The problem with this system is if you are on the throttle, in the mud and she slips, ALL 950+cc's are transferred to the front. You put that much torque on your front axles alone, on any big bore and you are going to snap axles.There is a very easy fix for the 08-09 years.You weld the SLD solid so no more slipping and no more abrupt transfer of power to the front axles.I can send you a link with detailed instructions on how to do this.As stated above ,never use diff lock in reverse and don't be thumb happy when in diff lock.There is also a very simple fix for the blown oil cooler lines called the the burp bottle mod which relieves excess crankcase pressure. That being said,when you combine large aggressive tires with huge amounts of low end torque your chance of breaking things goes up dramatically.My buddy has not broken an axle since the sld weld.He has 29.5 outlaws and runs the 2011 1000 axles.

I would take some links to these fixes his t cat is a.09.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too funny, if you go to the mud nationals in the U.S., they have trash cans that say gorrilla axeles only... yes, even they break.... not a joke.

as of now, there is not a cv made that will not break with big aggressive tires.. if you choose to run tires like that you can't complain.. you will never be repair free any more.. some have better luck then others, some know how to drive better than others, whatever it is..

now, of course a aftermarket one will be somewhat stronger but i don't know what you have seen, but i have seen many aftermarket cv's go south fairly fast..choice is yours.

there is in the works a proto- type cv being tested for can-am at this moment.
if they pan out, they will be grantueed impossible to break, but then the next weakest link goes, and so on. i have not heard of anybody else that is making a indestructable cv for other brands. the ones for can-am won't be cheap. 6 to 7 hundred a side. yes 2400+ for indestructable cv's..

maybe eventually there will be cv's for other brands that don't break or are 98% indestrucable but they will cost the same, i would think..

you know what they say.. you want to play.. you have to pay! bottom line = money. lol

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully ,they learned from Canam`s mistake: You need 2 kinds of utvs SPORT and UTILITY and no they can`t be the same.......The days of the rhino with alloy rims and stripes don`t cut it for sport anymore...lol
you are right there!

Seen you out at the mud bog! i don't think i talked to you but i was there with quadboy55. he came down from edmonton. you did really well in the bog, eh?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw your bike there,way too nice to get dirty....I met 55 and i believe you were talking to my buddy Steve ,he had the black popo that did well.....

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw your bike there,way too nice to get dirty....I met 55 and i believe you were talking to my buddy Steve ,he had the black popo that did well.....
yes you are correct..

i have been battling my knee for a week here.. i have a full ripped ACL so when it pops it stretches the museles and tendions some.. hurts like hell for a week or two, till it heals..

i actually wanted to race.. it does get very dirty, most the time when we ride.. can't avoid it where we live.. but.. it was just that when i got out there i did'nt feel it. i just drove it around a bit, watched the action and drove home. not what i wanted but at least i got out of the house. lol

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Got a cat and a rhino and the only problem I had so far is the cat don't like deep water (go figure) and the Rhino blew a cv joint joint but my fault cause i pinned it in a hole with the diffs locked up! Finnese is the key ...... you got to know when to hold em and know when to fold em. :beer::d:beer:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a cat and a rhino and the only problem I had so far is the cat don't like deep water (go figure) and the Rhino blew a cv joint joint but my fault cause i pinned it in a hole with the diffs locked up! Finnese is the key ...... you got to know when to hold em and know when to fold em. :beer::d:beer:

x2 the long n short is they can all break,,,, we sell more cat atvs and side by sides, than yamaha- suzuki combined.... atvs are about 3-1 in fav of cats and side x sides are about 6 to 1 in favor of cats.... so i guess its no surprise
that we sell more cat axles,,,, probably cause everyone drives like me....lol

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's true but my buddy with thundercat takes it easy on his and still breaks the axles easily when both my quads go through the same hole with bigger tires and probly harder on the throttle then him. I have broke axles but usually my own fault. He ordered some rhino axles for his thundercat and were hoping that will help.

Weird I haven't broken anything on my T-Cat.:confused: Terry must have sold me an Invincible, Unbreakable Everything, Only one ever built in the history of quads model. Thanx Terry.:d:d But I just mounted up a set of 27" Outlaws yesterday, (thanks Curtis), hopefully I can load it into the truck before the axles both snap and the diffs fly off it.:rolleyes::rolleyes::beer::beer:

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 the long n short is they can all break,,,, we sell more cat atvs and side by sides, than yamaha- suzuki combined.... atvs are about 3-1 in fav of cats and side x sides are about 6 to 1 in favor of cats.... so i guess its no surprise
that we sell more cat axles,,,, probably cause everyone drives like me....lol

The 11 axles look a lot stronger and they fit.Also cheaper than gorilla or turner.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat's don't like water????? 07 700 2" lift outlaws and silicone,09 mp 700 stock with silicone
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqRA8hDyCM[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAMI3fkNWJw[/media]

Top Bottom