Throttle Cable Replacement

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to replace my throttle cable on a 2012 XP?? It is easy to unhook from the throttle itself, but do I need to take the clutch off to be able to get the other end off?? I can't seem to reach it very well, and I can't seem to wiggle it out. I also want to make sure I can get the new one on easy enough before I remove the old one!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do a search, lots of info in the XP section on this topic. it's no small job

JTT800

Reaction score
I just changed my throttle cable on 2012 summit x with the etec. Took me 15 minutes and was super easy. Slide out the air box behind the secondary clutch. Remove the plastic piece that holds the air box to the throttle body's. Then you can easily see how the throttle wraps around and connects. I was careful and tried not to move the top nut on the cable so I could reinstall the new one in the same position. You need two 10mm wrenches. You have to make sure there is a bit of slack in the throttle when done so the throttle position sensor will let the sled move. You should also take it to the dealer when done and have them hook it up to buds and adjust it so it's opening 95-100%. I tried to set the top nut on the new cable in the same position as the old one and the dealer said it was at 95% open when I brought it in. He fine tuned it to 99.8% open.

Hope this helps.

Also if it's a ptec it's a different process and I can't help you any.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
JTT800 - did you pull your gas tank and some plastics off first? not sure how I can squeeze my air box out without doing that.... (yes, it is a 2012 summit x etec)

JTT800

Reaction score
No. The air box slides out toward the clutch side. There's a tab on the box about 3" from the bottom and then the 3" tube connecting box to the main air box rotates apart. It's above the secondary. Once that's done you pull towards you and it slides out. It's tight but does come out.

If you google it I'm sure someone has pictures of how to do it. It's real easy once you see how.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the tips!! I was missing the lower clip on the airbox. All done now! Best tip, keep some slack on the cable so the sled still moves, first time I put it back together I had it too tight.
Last question, local shop is closed today so I can't attach it to buds, will I do damage riding it tomorrow, or just may not get full throttle?

Top Bottom