Thoughts: Aftermarket Turbo Kit or New Doo Turbo!?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My next ride will be another non-current, and an aftermarket turbo. $22k plus is crazy for new a sled. My last turbo sled once set-up never needed anything other than normal wear items that any sled needs.

My current ride is a stocker with pipe/head. Took one day to dial in the fuel (wideband/Boondocker). Adjusted clutching once engine was fueling properly. It is way better on fuel than the stock tune and is pull and go. Any sled could benefit from dialed fueling with a controller, no two engines ever run the same.

Your missing that big power are you, I ride plenty of non turbo's and low boost turbo's during the season.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Exactly and if you want it set up to pull and go and you are not good with wrenches get a shop that builds turbo sleds to do the install and setup.
Depending on what brand you ride Mountain Majic and Parkland can get you set up.
Nothing but success from both shops.
Wrenching was 10 years back.
Just a myth some cling to.

and what is the cost for that? Consider the drive(time), gas/diesel to drive, cost for them to do the install and set up on the 5 grand turbo you just bought. thanks!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and what is the cost for that? Consider the drive(time), gas/diesel to drive, cost for them to do the install and set up on the 5 grand turbo you just bought. thanks!

The kits are just repeat installs.
Do you actually think each sled is taken to mountains for tuning by the shop.
Doo defiantly has a great thing going with the T-850.
But all the associated BS spread to tear down everything else is simply just BS.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The kits are just repeat installs.
Do you actually think each sled I'd taken to mountains for tuning by the shop.
Doo defiantly has a great thing going with the T-850.
But all the associated BS spread to tear down everything else is simply just BS.

You guys are kinda agreeing to disagree.
The 850T is finally a step away from the on going year after year BRP gimmicks in mountain sleds to real improvements. There is no one single improvement that will be better then flat out POWER in the mountain's. And finally an OEM is starting to see it. 165hp at elevation is a huge improvement over the typical NA 800-850 of the past. Even with power add on these still lost 3% for every 1000ft gained. The majority on this forum most likely never experienced a sled pulling 165hp all day long at their favorite riding area so to them this is awesome...WOW...dream come true.
But in the same token the after market kits offer bigger power and in the same manner even more peeps have never thrown a leg over something pushing over 200hp.
165hp at elevation is an accomplishment for an OEM and will put smiles on a lot of peeps out there.
200hp at elevation is 100% attainable with todays aftermarket set ups reliably, most issues are caused by operator first. Either way an extra 35-40hp or 70-80hp over a NA 850 will make ANY sled dominate the elevation scene.

165hp for 21-22k or 28-29k for 200hp. HP cost either way

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 850T is finally is a step away from the on going year after year BRP gimmicks in mountain sleds to real improvements. There is no one single improvement that will be better then flat out POWER in the mountain's. And finally an OEM is starting to see it. 165hp at elevation is a huge improvement over the typical NA 800-850 of the past. Even with power add on these still lost 3% for every 1000ft gained. The majority on this forum most likely never experienced a sled pulling 165hp all day long at their favorite riding area so to them this is awesome...WOW...dream come true.
But in the same token the after market kits offer bigger power and in the same manner even more peeps have never thrown a leg over something pushing over 200hp.
165hp at elevation is an accomplishment for an OEM and will put smiles on a lot of peeps out there.
200hp at elevation is 100% attainable with todays aftermarket set ups reliably, most issues are caused by operator first. Either way an extra 35-40hp or 70-80hp over a NA 850 will make ANY sled dominate the elevation scene.

I agree 100% on what you say except one thing.
You should not be at 28K for an aftermarket 200hp sled unless you have done far more for mods.
One year carryover with a kit installed should be about the same as a stock T-850.
A person should only be trading warranty for more power.
Extra $ should not be invloved.
Just depends what you want.
Both are at a level well above any NA for sure.
Both are at a level of $ above an NA.

The BS mud slinging - well insecure people need something to hide behind.
Slightly different market and I might get a T-850.
They are the future of stock power - just not a power king without aftermarket help.
Not yet.
And yes I agree with most things Norona says - Max and the minions is a different story.
lol

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 850T is finally is a step away from the on going year after year BRP gimmicks in mountain sleds to real improvements. There is no one single improvement that will be better then flat out POWER in the mountain's. And finally an OEM is starting to see it. 165hp at elevation is a huge improvement over the typical NA 800-850 of the past. Even with power add on these still lost 3% for every 1000ft gained. The majority on this forum most likely never experienced a sled pulling 165hp all day long at their favorite riding area so to them this is awesome...WOW...dream come true.

Well said

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
remember Lunds pricing is brand new based
not really much used stock 850t to compare for pricing still
You can buy slightly used 2019/2020 na sled and add a turbo for well under 18 gs

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is something to think about. I have an 1160 in a wedge and an M8 turbo running 7 lbs of boost. The 1160 will spank the turbo at elevation.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is something to think about. I have an 1160 in a wedge and an M8 turbo running 7 lbs of boost. The 1160 will spank the turbo at elevation.
You know how you been saying that you don't need to do any wrenching on an aftermarket turbo? You need to do some wrenching on your aftermarket turbo. Lol

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Humm, lets see.

Approximately 6g delivered for a aftermarket kit. Approximately 10 hrs of installation time labor, that can be sped up over repeatedly installing the same kit. Im OCD on routing wires and oil lines, btw.

3hrs labor for a pump gas head install than $500 approximately for the turbo head, to avoid running race gas.
With the Boondocker sidekick, I personally feel running a concentrate with 91 is sufficient with the stock head to get by at lower elevations.

Throw aftermarket kits clutching in the garbage, purchase stuff that work better. $500-$3000 depending on the flavor of the day.

$2000min for shock revalve to handle the 200+ hp. Again thats the builders and customers preference.

Will the aftermarket kit be pull and go, IMO no not at first, and will still need to be maintained and watched closer.

Numbers based on a doo 850 BD turbo kit.

Loving this Doo 850T from the factory, even tho its 165hp, over a NA sled its a pretty decent bang for the buck if you ask me.
No matter how someone wants to split hairs and compare whats what, argue till they are blue in the face.
There is no denying that doo has set the bar very high out of all the manufacturers.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Humm, lets see.

Approximately 6g delivered for a aftermarket kit. Approximately 10 hrs of installation time labor, that can be sped up over repeatedly installing the same kit. Im OCD on routing wires and oil lines, btw.

3hrs labor for a pump gas head install than $500 approximately for the turbo head, to avoid running race gas.
With the Boondocker sidekick, I personally feel running a concentrate with 91 is sufficient with the stock head to get by at lower elevations.

Throw aftermarket kits clutching in the garbage, purchase stuff that work better. $500-$3000 depending on the flavor of the day.

$2000min for shock revalve to handle the 200+ hp. Again thats the builders and customers preference.

Will the aftermarket kit be pull and go, IMO no not at first, and will still need to be maintained and watched closer.

Loving this Doo 850T from the factory, even tho its 165hp, over a NA sled its a pretty decent bang for the buck if you ask me.
No matter how someone wants to split hairs and compare whats what, argue till they are blue in the face.
There is no denying that doo has set the bar very high out of all the manufacturers.

WTF where did you come up with this? Are you Maxwell?

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Humm, lets see.

I'm not sure if you know this but turbos don't like compression.

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the wedge 1160 would need to have 210 n/a hp at sea level... From this point On the wedge would lose 3% for every 1000ft...So by the time the wedge and the 850t reached 8000 ft they both would have 165 hp ...hmmm ... Question does the wedge 1160 make 210 n/a hp and how reliable would this motor be ... So if brp went from an 800 wiT 160hp to an 850 wiT 165 hP ...5 hp for every 50cc ...does this mean brp needs a 900 for 170hp ... And so on ... Now does this mean the wedge 1160 then needs 215 n/a hp and 220 n/a hp to keeP up to a 950T wiT 175 hp... DiSRuPTiVE by DESiGN

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% on what you say except one thing.
You should not be at 28K for an aftermarket 200hp sled unless you have done far more for mods.
One year carryover with a kit installed should be about the same as a stock T-850.
A person should only be trading warranty for more power.
Extra $ should not be invloved.
Just depends what you want.
Both are at a level well above any NA for sure.
Both are at a level of $ above an NA.

The BS mud slinging - well insecure people need something to hide behind.
Slightly different market and I might get a T-850.
They are the future of stock power - just not a power king without aftermarket help.
Not yet.
And yes I agree with most things Norona says - Max and the minions is a different story.
lol

Yes i'm sure there are always deals to be had somewhere, but to compare reasonably both have to come ready to ride out of the dealer. The 850T comes ready then the "other" needs to come ready to ride.
Maybe you can build your own but there are some that can't or won't or don't have the time to do so. So in fairness both need to be ready to ride as NEW units to compare.
I might be out buy 1,000 or 1500 but not by much.
I charge $1500 for a basic NEW install of a Sidekick, plus kit, plus clutching. Any custom work is extra such as intercoolers, gearing work or suspension modifications.
So 8k is not out of line for an aftermarket turbo install ready to go.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
see if I am not mistaken a trygstad 927 was 200hp at sea level. at elevation it might be 10hp down from the turbo, be a good match without the weight penalty. could be horrible wrong on that HP number though.

Have you ever rode one? The 927 is far from
Impressive. Factory Boost will walk all over it

Top Bottom