Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe but I would not be a bit surprised that this is not far from the truth. We already know the Chinese have been investing heavily in the oil sands. No different than supporting Walmart, money goes south.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would say its pretty damn close to the truth.fact is the majority of companies drilling today are only doing so because of chineese investment. we have the supply and the have the demand. would have to be a blind fool to see that we are not dependant on outside investments.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
the corporate profits may be going foreign however the majority of the work is being done by canadians who are paid well and the tax from that pay funds a large portion of our provincial/federal government, so to state that the majority of the profits are leaving the country may be correct however the bulk of the revenue remains local.

jimman77

Reaction score
Not only are there Chinese investors in the oil sands but Korean Oil companies are buying up land up there as well. KNOC Oil is up there and has a very large piece of land. Another note as well is that a south Korean oil company bought out Harvest Energy as well. I don't think we have anything to worry about as the only thing it is going to do is bring more jobs into Alberta which means more money for all of us as well as more money for the province, and for Canada at that.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant believe you guys all think because you are working at high paying jobs today it is ok to have such a high percentage of foreign ownership. What about losing control to our resources or have some "foreign power" decide to push their weight around because our oil is their "best national interest". Would not be the first time this has happened. Bottom line is that we will become puppets to the purse string holders and they only do things to benefit themselves.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't for foreign investment and shareholders of these companies, a lot of us would looking for work. There's not enough spare money kicking around Canada to have 100% Canadian ownership of these organizations (or even more than 50%)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
if it wasn't for foreign investment and shareholders of these companies, a lot of us would looking for work. There's not enough spare money kicking around canada to have 100% canadian ownership of these organizations (or even more than 50%)

add logging and mining to the foreign ownership ring.......

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I cant believe you guys all think because you are working at high paying jobs today it is ok to have such a high percentage of foreign ownership. What about losing control to our resources or have some "foreign power" decide to push their weight around because our oil is their "best national interest". Would not be the first time this has happened. Bottom line is that we will become puppets to the purse string holders and they only do things to benefit themselves.

You explain to me then how we can recover billions of barrels of oil from these oil sands on our own??? As LID says we do not have the means to do it on our own. It's keeping us ALL working in one way or another.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You explain to me then how we can recover billions of barrels of oil from these oil sands on our own??? As LID says we do not have the means to do it on our own. It's keeping us ALL working in one way or another.

I am not saying no to foreign investment but do not like such a high percentage of foreign ownership. Two different things.

PonyboyCurtis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you wiki "oil sands" or "tar sands" it has a list of the mines and the country the ownership belongs to.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a Global world........lol See how protectionism is working for our friends down south.............

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

UMMMM... we are doing it on our own. The fact that the companies are foreign owned doesn't mean we are not their slaves. Look at the Saudi's. They hold the oil and sell it at top $$$ were as we allow the companies to pay us penuts and take the oil.
Im all for the work as yes it is providing us with a good life but if you look at the bigger picture we are getting the shaft for our resources. My vote is to turn the taps off to the lumber, minerals and oil/gas and make them pay for it. increase our gdp. we provide the resources and do the labour so we should be compinsated for it. Why are we selling our oil and paying some of the highest price's world wide at the pump?

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
UMMMM... we are doing it on our own. The fact that the companies are foreign owned doesn't mean we are not their slaves. Look at the Saudi's. They hold the oil and sell it at top $$$ were as we allow the companies to pay us penuts and take the oil.
Im all for the work as yes it is providing us with a good life but if you look at the bigger picture we are getting the shaft for our resources. My vote is to turn the taps off to the lumber, minerals and oil/gas and make them pay for it. increase our gdp. we provide the resources and do the labour so we should be compinsated for it. Why are we selling our oil and paying some of the highest price's world wide at the pump?

X2!!!

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure our prices aren't among the highest in the world. All of Europe is way more expensive. In fact, other than the States, where is gas cheaper than here?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine worked in Venezuela afew years ago,and the most expensive tank
of gas he got there was less than $6 canadian.It's not totally fair to compare their
standard of living to our's,but they export their oil at market value and sell it within
the country for much much less.
It only makes sense that a product should be cheaper where it is,then where it is going
to.Anyone that see's it any other way,think's different than I do.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it`s only fair to point out a rather large part of our fuel costs includes tax !! We drive on nice highways,have state of the art healthcare,amentities to die for........ETC ETC.
If you want cheaper fuel, move to a cheap gas country ;with the certainty of living in grass huts with no police ETC ETC..........

I am quite happy with our system.......................

Top Bottom