Thinking of starting to build custom quads.

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im thinking of maybe starting up a shop afterhours and doing custom sport quad work....from big bores, suspension,to frame up builds. Custom powder coating, chroming, and polishing. Just wondering how many people would need work and if you guys think this is a good idea!!!

Thanks S&Mers

ghglenn

Reaction score
I like it. I think it could fly. The key to the success is the knowledge you can bring to the table, both in product and set-up. How to get from point A to point B.

To have all the services you mentioned under one roof would be cool. I think catering to MX bikes, SxS, and Sleds also, would be a good idea. Custom graphics, dyno runs, port work and carb boring....you could go nuts.

DO IT!!!

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you address all the problems people seem to have with the local shops around Edmonton, I'm sure you would be ROLLING in the amount of customers you'd have.

Shops that wont adjust their prices for the good dollar, terrible manners, A$$ raping on service prices...

Don't use some Cheezy name for your shop. Insane Customs is about as Cheese as it gets i think. "Wow!!! Those customs are INSANE!!!" hahahaha
if you have "X-treme, or quad traxxx, or anything childish like that.... gross!

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
its not a bad idea but after meeting and knowing many contractors and sub contractors (not in the atv industry....but) the one thing you have to watch is not to venture to far into too many fields suddenly you lose your efficiency when you take your scope to broad....maybe doing the high performance mods and build up but source out the PC'ing ect. might be a better way to go.......i'm no expert or anything and not saying it wont work just know alot of guys who got into working for themselves and got in over they're head trying to do "everything" rather than specializing in certain aspects, and then after learning a bit found one area they preferred to focus on.......the more you try to do the less proficient you are at what you do.......jmo.....i think a good mod shop in edm is a great idea i know when i had my 400ex i would have loved to find someone around with decent prices......but if you can find someone who is interested in powder coating/decals/wraps/painting that you can hook up with and work hand in hand it can keep you focused on the build and still get a top quality job done on the rest........

besides that, great idea man

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its not a bad idea but after meeting and knowing many contractors and sub contractors (not in the atv industry....but) the one thing you have to watch is not to venture to far into too many fields suddenly you lose your efficiency when you take your scope to broad....maybe doing the high performance mods and build up but source out the PC'ing ect. might be a better way to go.......i'm no expert or anything and not saying it wont work just know alot of guys who got into working for themselves and got in over they're head trying to do "everything" rather than specializing in certain aspects, and then after learning a bit found one area they preferred to focus on.......the more you try to do the less proficient you are at what you do.......jmo.....i think a good mod shop in edm is a great idea i know when i had my 400ex i would have loved to find someone around with decent prices......but if you can find someone who is interested in powder coating/decals/wraps/painting that you can hook up with and work hand in hand it can keep you focused on the build and still get a top quality job done on the rest........

besides that, great idea man

Plio you are 100 % right about the efficiency stuff........i won't be doing the powdering or port work takes too long and too hard to learn(would be cool to know how tho). Im gonna leave that to the experts and outsource that stuff. What i want to accomplish is being able to get customers options of new or used parts and a cheaper shop rate this whole 100.00+ dollars an hour is just way to much.

Top Bottom