Thinking about a big move.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you like living in Sparwood? Thinking of moving the family to BC

Wife and I have been talking about the Alberta economy, and what the future housing market in our area (Stony Plain) might do. I was born and raised here, my wife is from Rocky, and both our boys were born here. We've been batting around the idea of me getting a full time job and its a conversation that pains me at times. I've been working for various contract companies doing shutdowns, maintenance, and construction for the past 13 years working 5 to 8 months a year and being able to dictate when/where I work, as well as when I don't want to work. She would like us to retire in BC and I'm on board with it, so I've suggested that if I'm going to look for a full time career I might as well start looking in BC. I am a journeyman red seal millwright with 13 years in the trade, 34 years old, and my boys are 7 and 9. Looking at the long term, if I'm going to start a new pension (I have a DB now), now would be the time. If I wait any longer I wouldn't be able to maximize a new pension (if it happens to be another DB). What worries me is the forestry industry. I know CANFOR is looking for a millwright in Vavenby but I'm not sure if living in Vavenby or Clearwater would be a wise family decision.

The most appealing prospect I have seen is Teck Resources in Sparwood. I have never been to Sparwood, and know nothing about the town, what it would be like to live there, the school system, what its like to work for Teck, and what the sledding is like there.

Does anyone have any insight on Sparwood that they could pass on. Is the town big enough without needing to do a monthly trip to Cranbrook? Is Teck a good employer with long turn stability for a millwright? How is the employee morale and comradery? How are the schools? (I know there is a K-6 and 7-12 with approx 300 students each). And whats the sledding like??? lol. Does it compare to Blue River or Revy???

The most important aspects of any move we do would be: 1) School system of the kids. 2) Employee morale and comradery along with job security and pay/safety. 3) The town itself. Friendly, good upbeat atmosphere with nice neighbours.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone could provide.

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Do you like living in Sparwood? Thinking of moving the family to BC

I live in Sparwood with my family now for 22 years. The property taxes are cheap to say the least. The streets are cleaned in the summer months about 3-4 times. Winter snow clearing in really good and any berms left behind are taken care of by the district too. My wife works in the daycare system so there is plenty of daycares here in Sparwood and Fernie. I worked at Finning my whole life and have lots of friends that work at Teck. They need trades people and lots of them. They pay great and have lots of perks that helps out. Sledding is also great with Elkford Sparwood and Fernie having lots of honey holes. Summer is lots of camping at the kook. lots of other sports to do in all 4 seasons. fernie has more tourists too. Fernie has more stores like Crappy tire and more places to eat but the housing cost i would say 40% more and their taxes are stupid. For me if we need more stuff we go to Lethbridge (2 hours away) for a costco run. Cranbrook is 1.4 hours away and they have lots to offer. if you need more infor pm or call me. Back to my love for sledding, if you need to see around call me and I will take you out, also join our fernie club.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

another thought is Teck takes care of their employee's so in lean years they will get the contractors off the sites before cutting their own staff. Which means companies like SMS and Finning and a few other outfits will have to cut staff as they have done many,many times since I have been here. Teck has 5 mines but one(coal mt) is shutting down this year.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Those are great points LUCKY 7. Are all 5 mines close to Sparwood?

I think the only way I could do a move like this would be working directly for the large company (not a contractor). I haven't changed my occupation (I work for a building trades union) since I started my apprenticeship, and have lived in Stony Plain all my life. Uprooting the family feels like a huge risk with a lot of possible upsides to it. Teck being a union employer is an upside as well. Job stability/security is a big worry for me. The mining industry in Sparwood looks stable but not too sure with one of their mines closing as you said. They are also getting into the bitumen extraction business. They own 21% of the Fort Hills site in Fort McMurray with Suncor and also have a 100% ownership in a smaller extraction mine not to far from Fort Hills. I am going to try to avoid the forestry (pulp/saw mills) industry as the fluctuation is huge in BC and directly affected by external factors, mainly the US government policies and global trade partnerships. All that being said, I could always do the move and continue in my current employment structure. Only difference would be out of town work all the time instead of 10-40% of the time as it is now.

You mentioned that they need trades people and lots of them, is there a lot of vacant positions in the Sparwood area? And with one of the mines closing, are they moving their employees around to accommodate them and using retirement packages to entice the older work force to allow the new up and coming workers a chance for employment?

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the one mine closing is due to its all mined out and that was always the plan. any coal mt person was moved to the other 4 mines or is helping out with the closure. Greenhills is the only non union mine. they get a wellness cheque every year as well as a bonus package that normally over 12 grand. Most guys work 4x4 shift but there are other shifts too. There is busing for the Line creek mine but the Greenhills and Fording river mines are north of Elkford so the busing starts in Elkford. Lots of guys carpool which helps. Check on the Teck internet site to see if there are any jobs that might suit you. Also trades people get a special retention bonus every year...

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

if you need more infor pm or call me. Back to my love for sledding, if you need to see around call me and I will take you out, also join our fernie club.

I wish I would have started looking into this in Dec/Jan. I would have hit you up for a tour of the hills. Theres a 97% chance that my sledding season is finished for the year. I start a month long shutdown tomorrow. If late April conditions are still good you'll be my first pm if the wife will let me go. Might need to use a checking out the town for research excuse.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the one mine closing is due to its all mined out and that was always the plan. any coal mt person was moved to the other 4 mines or is helping out with the closure. Greenhills is the only non union mine. they get a wellness cheque every year as well as a bonus package that normally over 12 grand. Most guys work 4x4 shift but there are other shifts too. There is busing for the Line creek mine but the Greenhills and Fording river mines are north of Elkford so the busing starts in Elkford. Lots of guys carpool which helps. Check on the Teck internet site to see if there are any jobs that might suit you. Also trades people get a special retention bonus every year...

I've been on Teck's website, and trying to research the company and town as much as possible from the keyboard. They do have a posting for a position that would suit me. I've been working on tailoring a resume and cover letter to send in to them today. It lists Sparwood as the location but not a specific mine.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I just looked and there is a millwright job posted. Throw your name just because. if anything comes of it then you two will have to decide is its the right move or not.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I just looked and there is a millwright job posted. Throw your name just because. if anything comes of it then you two will have to decide is its the right move or not.

For sure. I don't think Teck has the quickest hiring process either so there would be time to make a decision and learn a lot about the town.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you are so right. It will take months for the process to work its way through
For sure. I don't think Teck has the quickest hiring process either so there would be time to make a decision and learn a lot about the town.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No one moves to Alberta for the scenery. What are you waiting for, pack your bags. Think of all the money you will save on sled trips.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you might spend that saved money by going out lots on your days off.
No one moves to Alberta for the scenery. What are you waiting for, pack your bags. Think of all the money you will save on sled trips.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I totally agree with your statement S.W.A.T.

Lot's of options. I'm going to apply with Teck in Sparwood and going to continue to look at what else is out there. I like the smaller town feel. Sicamous is beautiful, Revy is nice (although I'm not sure if I could live there). Vernon, Kamloops, Kelowna and PG don't really appeal to me. Wife likes the idea of living close to a big lake and I want to live by a great riding area. I would love to up my riding days from 21 to 60+ a year.

Worse case scenario is moving and then coming back here for work doing shutdowns or getting a 7 on 7 off gig in Fort Mac.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This thread hit the nail on the head. I'm 31, new boy this year, 10 year red seal jman millwright as well. We went to Kamloops the other weekend and spent 4 days with great friends there. 6 months of summer, 6 months of sledding... and there's work. They've been working on us for a few years to relocate and drive a hard bargain...

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ive been trying to convince my wife to move to the mountains, it is a huge choice but so far everyone we have talked to that has moved from an Alberta city to BC has loved the choice they made. Im trying to get her to move to Valemount, so a really small town but we have property there so it just makes sense. I work overseas so finding a job wouldn't matter it would just be the choice of up rooting and being a 5 hour drive from our family and friends.

Worst case scenario you can always move back if its a disaster and you hate it. But if you don't take the chance you might end up always regretting not giving it a go.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

they don't list the specific mine on the posting but will let the person know during the interview.They may not even know which mine when they posted the job but they know they need tradespeople. teck is a typical big company so do your job keep your nose clean and don't get caught up in the crap and life will be good. Lots of sledders work at teck and with the wellness cheque new gear is easy to buy.
I've been on Teck's website, and trying to research the company and town as much as possible from the keyboard. They do have a posting for a position that would suit me. I've been working on tailoring a resume and cover letter to send in to them today. It lists Sparwood as the location but not a specific mine.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This thread hit the nail on the head. I'm 31, new boy this year, 10 year red seal jman millwright as well. We went to Kamloops the other weekend and spent 4 days with great friends there. 6 months of summer, 6 months of sledding... and there's work. They've been working on us for a few years to relocate and drive a hard bargain...

Love the idea of summer being summer and winter being sledding. Nothing worse than leaving the family at home for 3-6 days to head to the mountains to ride.Both me and the wife being 34, we're not getting any younger. I think the boys (7&9) are at a young enough age that making a move would be easier on them now then in 2 or 3 years if I wait. I'm sure it will take a few months to make a decision. It's also getting to be the right time of the year to list the house for a summer transition.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you might spend that saved money by going out lots on your days off.

The money saved on house price would be 50-60K if we moved to Sparwood. That combined with not paying for fuel and hotels would pay for a spare 850 and upgrading the boys sleds. Maybe a pair of modded out 200's may be in store for them.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I've been with Teck for a year now and moved from central Alberta after 15 years there. I don't regret it at all.
I've lived all over the northern hemisphere and worked all over it as well and the biggest thing i like about it here is job security, a schedule, and stability. Pay is good, bonuses are good, and your pension if your union costs nothing outside of your dues. Not sure how GH pension works or their bonus structure but I heard it is decent also.

Housing costs are comparable to central ab but taxes are much less. Especially in Elkford.

Other than Costco or maybe Wal-Mart I don't find a need to go farther than Fernie for everything else.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you can get a nicer house in Sparwood for about 350.
Love the idea of summer being summer and winter being sledding. Nothing worse than leaving the family at home for 3-6 days to head to the mountains to ride.Both me and the wife being 34, we're not getting any younger. I think the boys (7&9) are at a young enough age that making a move would be easier on them now then in 2 or 3 years if I wait. I'm sure it will take a few months to make a decision. It's also getting to be the right time of the year to list the house for a summer transition.

Top Bottom