thinkin about buying a gps unit but need help

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I just did a camping trip with a couple of buddies that had their 655t's with them as well. we left Onoway and travelled to the shuswaps and talked all the way down while driving as well as when in the boat on the lake, then travelled to Osoyoose for another 4 days of camping/boating then the drive back. My entire trip on one charge and the radio was at 35% when I got home.
they're not cheap, but IMO you really do get what you pay for in this case.

and that was with the re-chargeable Li-Ion battery?

When I bought ours (a 530, a 110, and a 120) I bought a spare battery and I have never used it! They last all day and more through anything that I've thrown at it (and most of that is in the winter time).

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple 650's and i can get a few days outta them before needing charged with normal usage. Lithium ion batts.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And here i thought batteries where just batteries, i am going to have to get some of those for my camera. Is the voltage the same though 3.6v? Maybe that what was wrong with mine it needed more power...ha ha.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
And here i thought batteries where just batteries, i am going to have to get some of those for my camera. Is the voltage the same though 3.6v? Maybe that what was wrong with mine it needed more power...ha ha.

When I bought my camera, Canon SX30IS, that was one of the criteria. A Li-ion rechargeable. I go for days with the camera shooting video and taking pictures. Quite a bit of footage on most days. Never run out of power.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get some out of china for about a dollar each

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just run a standalone GPS. I use it 12 months of the year be it sledding, biking or hiking and fishing. It is the Garmin Oregon 450. Ultra portable, loaded with topo Canada as well as other GPS track like the Southern Alberta SRD trail maps and some other maps which lay over the topo maps. With a small SD card I have almost all over Alberta and BC loaded on it.

With a RAM mount on my bars I can swap it between the sled and bike. The touch screen works fine with gloves on. It works well enough in cold temps with lithium batteries. I have several hundred way points and tracks saved on it.

I could have went for a Rino and gained some tracking ability for some of the guys I ride with who have Rinos for sledding but during the warmer months it just wasn't needed.

Garmin Oregon 450

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i guess that will be my next step find out if any of the people i ride with have the rinos or not, or if their intrested in getting one. if not maybe i will be better off with two, two-way radios and a stand alone gps

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i guess that will be my next step find out if any of the people i ride with have the rinos or not, or if their intrested in getting one. if not maybe i will be better off with two, two-way radios and a stand alone gps

it's all up to you, if you buy the rhino, maybe your buds will buy as well then everyone wins. real pain having to fumble in pockets to get gps or the crappy 45mile walmart radio specials. all the radios are line of sight, and distances given are optimistic at best. why not buy the rhio now and have it for the next few years, and you can also meet up with other rhio users in your adventures.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing with any of this stuff is like some else said,
Learn how to use it. I have buddies that buy them and then have no clue how to use them.
Start using it around home and get comfortable with what it does before you head out and need it.
Any GPS or the Rino are great but it needs a operator.
You tube is a great place for info when learning.
Good luck and buy the Rino.
Charging lasts a long time on these new ones.
Cheers

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found I learned the most about my GPS through Geocaching. Lots of hardcore geocachers in town and have some challenging caches that you need to know your unit inside out, stuff like projecting waypoints, combining GPS and dirctional coordinates and also the different GPS formats. Lots of info at www.geocaching.com or www.geocachingedmonton.com .

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you might as well be speeking in spanish there lol
I found I learned the most about my GPS through Geocaching. Lots of hardcore geocachers in town and have some challenging caches that you need to know your unit inside out, stuff like projecting waypoints, combining GPS and dirctional coordinates and also the different GPS formats. Lots of info at www.geocaching.com or www.geocachingedmonton.com .

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be great if someone could make a GPS/walky talky/Sat phone combo unit.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the Garmin Rino touch screen. Have had the 590s for a few yrs now and checked out Rene and Geoffs new touch screen last yr at our back country free ride camp and they worked great. The find me button is a great function for when ur buddy gets seperated from the group. cheers good luck with the GPS hunt.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the touch screens don't work that great in the cold.
My Montana doesn't work as good as the button ones but they might have fixed the brand new ones.

Top Bottom