Think We'll See a 1000 ETEC In The Next Couple Years ?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol can you just pay it twice for an 800? Stupid insurance companies, probably a rule made up by a damn accountant.
They are blaming higher displacement motors for increased accident claims down east I guess. It is a serious threat to the future of big cc engines they say.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are blaming higher displacement motors for increased accident claims down east I guess. It is a serious threat to the future of big cc engines they say.
I would imagine the numbers support it. I was shocked when I saw a comparison between snowmobiling deaths in the east compared to the west. We get all the media attention due to avalanches but far more people perish back east due to collisions on trails, with trees, and with fences. I don't imagine the insurance company differentiates between two and four strokes though. Can you imagine having a higher rate on a 900 ACE than an 800 Etec?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would imagine the numbers support it. I was shocked when I saw a comparison between snowmobiling deaths in the east compared to the west. We get all the media attention due to avalanches but far more people perish back east due to collisions on trails, with trees, and with fences. I don't imagine the insurance company differentiates between two and four strokes though. Can you imagine having a higher rate on a 900 ACE than an 800 Etec?
maybe the novice that should be on the ace goes to an 800 for cheaper insurance. I read somewhere that the popularity of the 600 trail and Ditchbanger's has taken a back seat to the 800's in spite of higher premium's

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the insurance companies had there way the 600 would be the biggest motor the manufacturers could build.

Yeh because a 600 only does 20 Kms per hr??!!
It's just horse **** and a excuses to up premiums .
What cc is selling more #s ? I wonder ? 800 is my guess.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doubt you'll see a 1000 ETEC the manuf been there done that. The 1000 will be a bigger block therefor added weight, and I don't think they will go down that road.

Maybe 880cc max. Heard a rumour that doo was fooling around with a 858cc etec. Hope doo does bump the power to the bb builders hp range, lots of those engines getting 3000 mtn miles on them. So it is possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 1000? what do you think the weight difference would be? Im thinking that it would be close to 25-40 lbs. What about this... a taller sled (just stretch it up about a foot or two) similar to a bike and leave the motor under the steering post back from where it is now by 8-10inches. lowers the center of gravity and makes it react somewhere between a snow bike and sled with a triple driven by a shorter belt between clutches and final gear drive with no chain or belt. This sled would handle like a dream even in the pow but might be a nut buster to flip over when stuck

The changes need to be made to handle the extra weight or it will be a tank like the blizzard 9500 of the 70's

Just a thought guys. What do you think?
Rich

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 1000? what do you think the weight difference would be? Im thinking that it would be close to 25-40 lbs. What about this... a taller sled (just stretch it up about a foot or two) similar to a bike and leave the motor under the steering post back from where it is now by 8-10inches. lowers the center of gravity and makes it react somewhere between a snow bike and sled with a triple driven by a shorter belt between clutches and final gear drive with no chain or belt. This sled would handle like a dream even in the pow but might be a nut buster to flip over when stuck

The changes need to be made to handle the extra weight or it will be a tank like the blizzard 9500 of the 70's

Just a thought guys. What do you think?
Rich
The old 1000sdi was 30# heavier than the 800ho.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah BRP will offer a turbo 4t way before they would offer a turbo 2t. Interesting that triples are widely credited with going away because of the packaging in the new chassis's but they introduce a triple 4t.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah BRP will offer a turbo 4t way before they would offer a turbo 2t. Interesting that triples are widely credited with going away because of the packaging in the new chassis's but they introduce a triple 4t.

I think it's easier to pack a 4T triple in since you don't need 3 big expansion chambers in the exhaust. Triple exhausts could be a pain to put in sometimes even when the chassis were huge. And no one wants a 2T triple running a single pipe lol

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to see that. 200hp light 4 stroke I would enjoy

I am surprised we have not seem a 900ace mountain build yet. As I said in there mxzx sleds, the ace is only 20lbs heavier than a 800etec. MCX makes a kit for the 900 bumping power to 175-180hp and 165trq. Not outstanding compared to a t2stroke, but I bet the reliability is much better. Personally I'd buy it if they made it.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am surprised we have not seem a 900ace mountain build yet. As I said in there mxzx sleds, the ace is only 20lbs heavier than a 800etec. MCX makes a kit for the 900 bumping power to 175-180hp and 165trq. Not outstanding compared to a t2stroke, but I bet the reliability is much better. Personally I'd buy it if they made it.

180hp at elevation would be nice! I try anything once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ive gone back and forth on building one a dozen times. had a deal in place to buy a expedition with a 154 in the spring but bscked out. its debatable on whether the internals are stout enough to take boost. Eriks told me the 170hp kit feels stronger than the 1200's 180 kit. keep in mind, MCX usually tests with a stoxk muffler. better flow usually turns up another few horses.I would to build but didnt want to try unload the next boosted phazer if it didnt work out. 1200 is planned for upgrades this coming season I understand. power wouldnt be mind blowing but with power holding better at elevation compared to a etec it would be nice. when I planned the build, I estimated with boost I could be at the identical weight to a 154 xm stock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom