Theft

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
Had my truck broken into a few months ago quadding at Mclean Creek . Cops say that thieves really like staging areas now . They know they have a few hours before the crime is even reported . Time to set up a game camera at the gates taking pictures of plates ... pretty sure they didn't walk there . It sucks replacing all that ch!t !!

We may have been there that day, October 02nd if I recall. A group of 11 had gone out and two of our group spent the majority of the afternoon trying to pack up a quad with the front wheel broken off. Two guys told them they had their truck B&E'd and to check our belongings. Our two guys hung around to keep an eye on our vehicles for us (it was a nice day too) as some of our group had equipment of various sorts in their truck's open boxes. These itchy fingered little shats could really start trouble if they get bold enough. The staging area was as busy as I've ever seen on that day too.:mad:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately lots of times it is the locals.......
no different than a punk who lives in Calgary and steals the neighbours stereo... bad people everywhere.
why is it the "locals" responsibility to keep your ch!t safe?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why is it the "locals" responsibility to keep your ch!t safe?
wow, you sure read a lot more into that post than I did. maybe not so much the locals responsibility as it is the local sled club. signs are cheap to make, maybe a few fake "video surveillance" signs posted here and there....someone in the area is benefitting from the sledders, sure isn't the guys getting their "ch!t" ripped off.

Reaction score
had my brand new rmk stolen in whistler a couple months ago, thank god the cops got it back that morning... the other sled they stole was pretty banged up. My bro was more choked about it than I was. He was gonna park his truck and sled in the same lot as bait and camp in the bush with a shotgun haha...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just park yur shat in a Mirage trailer....with all the bad press that there getting, nobody will steal it!!:cool:

the mirage trailer may have a $100 on the door, all locked up ready to be stolen.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not saying it's the locals responsibilities, just saying that if I knew of a local causing trouble, I'd want to help everyone out by stopping the spree. If you are running a business in, lets say - Golden, would you want someone rubbing your customers the wrong way...?!

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh. After seeing u singing with Dave and Jeff I can't comprehend u being a comish. Kind of like larrys azz crack.. can't comprehend that either.

I can be professional............summer, quadding and shooters make me do silly things............such as sing with Dave and Jeff............video tape larry's crack etc lol !!!! He should get that azz insured for sure !!!!

And in all seriousness..................having copies off all your ID, credit cards etc, and having it commissioned as originals...........if your wallet is stolen it's easier if you have copies when dealing with credit card companies and less likely for idenity theft

Chiebert

Reaction score
had my brand new rmk stolen in whistler a couple months ago, thank god the cops got it back that morning... the other sled they stole was pretty banged up. My bro was more choked about it than I was. He was gonna park his truck and sled in the same lot as bait and camp in the bush with a shotgun haha...

Does Sheldon even have a shotgun?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, you sure read a lot more into that post than I did. maybe not so much the locals responsibility as it is the local sled club. signs are cheap to make, maybe a few fake "video surveillance" signs posted here and there....someone in the area is benefitting from the sledders, sure isn't the guys getting their "ch!t" ripped off.
I know it sucks to get ch!t ripped off, been there lost a truck and 2 sleds one time but clubs are maxed out in what they can do these days, all your examples would help a local club or area they just need someone or a group to step up and help out. Locals included.

Two Blue

Reaction score
Everyone should play a part in the prevention and deterrence to theft and other stuff. The locals, clubs, cops, and individual groups need to take every step they can. Catch the little punks and make their respective lives miserable.

Two Blue

Reaction score
Basically, before we point fingers at anyone or group...... What have you done to reduce the the likelihood of theft. It is like leaving food out at a campsite that will attract a bear. You are only asking for problems. Then when the bear attacks, the question should be.... What the f were you thinking?

BCPOW

Reaction score
Honestly, I would pay a few bucks more on my daily & yearly trail passes to feel comfortable that my belongings would be safe in my truck in a staging area operated by a club. Staging areas that aren't operated by clubs, the game camera would be your best line of defense. Never thought of that one. Its a good idea. I've had my truck broken into in the summer when out at a fishing hole, and also when sledding last winter in Revy, good thing each time it happened I had so much useless junk in my truck that the thieves probably got so overwhelmed that they didn't dig down to the goods. haha Stupid petty thieves

Two Blue

Reaction score
I would pay a few more bucks as well...and I totally get the useless junk deterant.. Cheers

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically, before we point fingers at anyone or group...... What have you done to reduce the the likelihood of theft. It is like leaving food out at a campsite that will attract a bear. You are only asking for problems. Then when the bear attacks, the question should be.... What the f were you thinking?

Totally disagree. A bear is acting on instinct, not on Self-Greed! By your same logic, you should board up all the windows in your house because if a thief is walking past, by allowing them to see your big screen TV in your front room, you are only asking for problems......bullsh!t. No one, absolutely NO ONE, has the right to help themselves to another person's belongings because they somehow feel entitled. And we are pointing fingers at certain "groups" because this isn't the first time this crap has happened. Golden suffered this a few years ago and the credit cards were being used locally. Very easy for sleds to be stolen locally and hidden just up the road, then later retrieved when things cool down. Not too many out-of-towners willing to load up a sled onto their deck and drive all the way back into town and park at the local hotel on the main drag or drive back to AB with it, with the sled out in the open. Nor would someone drive out from Sask to steal a sled 15 miles up a backroad in BC (not saying these things haven happened though).

I respect pano-dude and hope he knows that we are not painting all locals with the same brush - here, there or anywhere, thieves are thieves. Pano would let peeps know if there was something going on or otherwise if he knew, however this is starting to really wear on a guy. I do not enjoy leaving my truck or my stuff at a staging area anymore because of the events of recent years. I bought a deck specifically so that I could lock my tailgate and keep my stuff from being ripped off and where I do park at staging areas, I park closer or as close to the highway as possible so that my truck is out in the open and visible, not buried in the back of the parking lot where no one can see it or what someone is doing to it.

Trail cams at the staging areas is going to be a start, also paying an extra few $$$ on the trail pass or membership is worth it as well IMO. We also need stiffer penalties for these crimes. You guys ever heard of backcountry justice?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally disagree. A bear is acting on instinct, not on Self-Greed! By your same logic, you should board up all the windows in your house because if a thief is walking past, by allowing them to see your big screen TV in your front room, you are only asking for problems......bullsh!t. No one, absolutely NO ONE, has the right to help themselves to another person's belongings because they somehow feel entitled. And we are pointing fingers at certain "groups" because this isn't the first time this crap has happened. Golden suffered this a few years ago and the credit cards were being used locally. Very easy for sleds to be stolen locally and hidden just up the road, then later retrieved when things cool down. Not too many out-of-towners willing to load up a sled onto their deck and drive all the way back into town and park at the local hotel on the main drag or drive back to AB with it, with the sled out in the open. Nor would someone drive out from Sask to steal a sled 15 miles up a backroad in BC (not saying these things haven happened though).

I respect pano-dude and hope he knows that we are not painting all locals with the same brush - here, there or anywhere, thieves are thieves. Pano would let peeps know if there was something going on or otherwise if he knew, however this is starting to really wear on a guy. I do not enjoy leaving my truck or my stuff at a staging area anymore because of the events of recent years. I bought a deck specifically so that I could lock my tailgate and keep my stuff from being ripped off and where I do park at staging areas, I park closer or as close to the highway as possible so that my truck is out in the open and visible, not buried in the back of the parking lot where no one can see it or what someone is doing to it.

Trail cams at the staging areas is going to be a start, also paying an extra few $$$ on the trail pass or membership is worth it as well IMO. We also need stiffer penalties for these crimes. You guys ever heard of backcountry justice?

I hear ya on the theives are everywhere and really nothing is safe unless you are watching it. If the issue gets to the point where it is happening frequently then the visiting sledders need to approach the club and let them know they want a secure parking area or they could even bring their own security. Many ways to deal with it, but locals would never know if there was an issue unless they are notified.

I feel the same way when I need to leave my vehicle in Edmonton when I visit family... always crossing my fingers it will still be there in the am.

Top Bottom