Theft with two sides....

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Side one:This is about some azzhat that broke into my son's truckand stole his wallet, (yes I couldn’t belief he left in the truck either, butit was locked in the console in a locked truck). On top of losing all of his IDthey also got their hands on one of our UFA cards. Unfortunately he didn’t knowit was in his wallet as he normally doesn’t leave it there.
Side Two: Now the real reason for the RANT…..we get a call from UFAasking if we had charged $2,100.00 of gas in the last three days at stations wedon’t normally visit….After panicking we indicated no it wasn’t us….( we only buy diesel and only from a couple of locations) We weretold we would be on the hook for it has we hadn’t reported the card stolen…
Was pissed, but I understood the rules ….

Now the bill is $5,000.00 as apparently they accepted more charges after we spokeand told them to stop…..

The crooks were able to figure out the assigned four digitpassword. When the crook was done with the card, it was left at a station andthey cut it up and tossed it, the RCMP even said they would have liked to checkit for prints…. UFA took 2 months to get the video’s from the stations to theRCMP, and after viewing, the comment from the RCMP was the quality andpositions of the camera’s weren’t sufficient to be able to read any licenseplates….UFA’s comment to us was the camera’s weren’t in stalled for that propose,they wouldn’t answer what they were there for ….
We have sent them the funds in full including interest upto the day we spoke to them to cancel the cards,( felt that was fare) along with the rest of thecards cut up, and a letter indicating to cancel our farm account and stated howdisappointed we are in the way this was handled.

Also we have several family and neighboring farms that will never use them again…..

Yes they’re after us to pay the rest…… my first unpaidbill ever….

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you talked to them and did verify that your card was stolen then it should have ended there. My thinking is a lawyer would have a heyday with the $5000 bill. Our town used to have a UFA bulk station a few years back. They decided it was time to start cutting out the smaller town depots and go more centralized. Our local guy and his family as well as a family in a neighbouring town both were cut and had to find new careers. Our whole town dropped UFA and Co Op moved in with a cardlock and we have never looked back. UFA is farmer owned but acts like a big city corporation. Good luck with your fight.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard that from lots of farmers lately ifs is chit. Crappy fuel and higher prices. Lots of guys moving to coop 2-3mpg better mileage and as much as .20 a litre cheaper

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we had a similar case a few years ago too. ufa driver filled up our bulk tanks at the farm, spilled a few hundred litres of fuel and left. charged us for the fuel AND made us pay to have alberta enviroment come out and asses it andfor the clean up and disposale of contaminated soil as well. wont name names but we were choked and now run our entire trucking and farm operation through Koch fuels, never had a bit of trouble ever since.
we buy alot of fuel, i mean ALOT of fuel but we're a drop in the bucket in comparison really.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure but you should have reported that card imediatley to prevent the fuel theft. I also use UFA but will be checking out the co-op for fuel, not impressed with the UFA card locks lately they seem to be filthy. Nice to know there cameras aren't worth sh!t but it seems all the security cameras are junk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the UFA cameras are for anything other than them watching their own stuff. last winter an RCMP officer came to our shop because UFA told him I was fueling up at the same time as someone that was using a stolen card to fill a 1000 litre tank. I didn't remember seeing anything out of the ordinary or something that would have stuck in my mind about the guy fueling up, they seemed to be quite disappointed I couldn't provide a name, address, and directions to the thief's house....

perhaps they should have cameras in the kiosks like a bank machine....you slide your card in, camera activates and records your face....

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to a lawyer. Pretty sure that you are only liable for the first $50.00 charged on a stolen credit card(may not apply to gas cards).
According to Alberta fair trading act:"A card holder is not liable for a debt incurred through the unauthorized use of a lost or stolen credit card after the credit card issuer receives notice of the loss or theft. A notice ... may be oral or in writing.The maximum total liability of a card holder arising from unauthorized use of a lost or stolen credit card before the issuer receives notice ... is the lesser of $50 and the amount fixed or agreed to by the credit card issuer as the maximum amount for which the card holder is liable in the event of the unauthorized use of the card after its loss or theft."

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats a crappy deal! im still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that the thieves got the pin number for the card?

Actually it's surprisingly easy if there good with numbers and have patience, and with it only being 4 digits

Sent from a iPhone

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats a crappy deal! im still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that the thieves got the pin number for the card?
definitely unusual. I can get anything from inside a UFA bulk like washer fluid or oil and the like, and they don't ask for the PIN only a signature on an invoice. I wonder if they would fuel you up on an invoice if you told them the card wouldn't read.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Actually it's surprisingly easy if there good with numbers and have patience, and with it only being 4 digits

Sent from a iPhone

have you ever forgotten your PIN while trying to use your UFA card? I have just recently actually and it will only give you three trys and your done like dinner. Pretty low odds. CO-OP, Petro-Pass and Esso fuel cards automatically deactivate after 3 wrongs and require a phone call. What are the odds of hitting a 4 digit number out of 9999. Im thinking you would have to hit at least say 1000 stores at 3 tries per to get the odds in your favor. How many UFA's are in Alberta? Cant believe it would be that easy or everyone would be doing it.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
definitely unusual. I can get anything from inside a UFA bulk like washer fluid or oil and the like, and they don't ask for the PIN only a signature on an invoice. I wonder if they would fuel you up on an invoice if you told them the card wouldn't read.
In that case I couldn't see you being liable for the theft as Im pretty sure the vendor needs to see ID of some sort. I realize that never happens but Im sure its written in there operating procedures somewhere.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what I thought also, might have been printed on it. As far as the the above post about a credit card not sure if the ufa card is deemed a creidt card?

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you ever forgotten your PIN while trying to use your UFA card? I have just recently actually and it will only give you three trys and your done like dinner. Pretty low odds. CO-OP, Petro-Pass and Esso fuel cards automatically deactivate after 3 wrongs and require a phone call. What are the odds of hitting a 4 digit number out of 9999. Im thinking you would have to hit at least say 1000 stores at 3 tries per to get the odds in your favor. How many UFA's are in Alberta? Cant believe it would be that easy or everyone would be doing it.

My bad I didn't know they deactivate.

Sent from a iPhone

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sent from a iPhone

still thats a Sh!t ton of different possibilities hahahah They must have spent hours

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re the pin number, UFA has acussed us of leaving the pin with the card, as we have many accounts and with many passwords we use a pssword storage app as we all use iphones, before the iphone we had crackberry's and used the built in password safe....

When we asked them to prove that the thief used our password or did they sign for the fuel, they re-fused telling us to trust them. Our statment shows the date and time stamp, the transaction were 60 % after hours...

Dont have th answer how they accessed the account......

Spoke with a lawyer, they suggested we check with our insurace as the cost for us to case this would be more then paying the bill.....low and behold our agent syas we have coverage, now will see if the insurance company will pay .....the saga continues.....

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to a lawyer. Pretty sure that you are only liable for the first $50.00 charged on a stolen credit card(may not apply to gas cards).
According to Alberta fair trading act:"A card holder is not liable for a debt incurred through the unauthorized use of a lost or stolen credit card after the credit card issuer receives notice of the loss or theft. A notice ... may be oral or in writing.The maximum total liability of a card holder arising from unauthorized use of a lost or stolen credit card before the issuer receives notice ... is the lesser of $50 and the amount fixed or agreed to by the credit card issuer as the maximum amount for which the card holder is liable in the event of the unauthorized use of the card after its loss or theft."

Need to follow this up......Thanks

Top Bottom