The Transmogrifier

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never saw this post until now. I have to question your choice in buying a hino. I can see good use in the box but I think you would have been better off with a different chassis. But it matters not as you already have it and it seems to be working out so far.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that if you have the rings in the walls already, that a hammock would be the way to go. Seperate ring for each corner.

dirtydeeds

Reaction score
I never saw this post until now. I have to question your choice in buying a hino. I can see good use in the box but I think you would have been better off with a different chassis.

I went with a Hino because many of the cube vans for sale at the time were either over priced or at the end of their service life. I found a few Hino trucks for sale with over 700k on them with only clutch or brake work done to them. By the classified ads, they seem reliable. When this one popped up with under 400k and a decent price, I figured I would try it.
Im still open to other chassis suggestions as I'll be upgrading eventually. Especially suggestions for crew cab models. Or a chassis that rhymes with "you-knee-mog". ;)

One thing I want to install on our toyhauler is an exhaust fan in the garage area...you may wish to add some vents and a roof vent fan system.

I would use a quaility low ash 2 stroke oil for a fuel additive rather than using ATF. While the ATF has good lubrication properties it also has microscopic grit (helps the clutches grab) that does not do the fuel injection system any good. A low ash 2 stroke oil is a much better additive for many diesel engines and also a cost effective solution.

Good luck with your project!

thanks for the info on the ATF. Regular, 2 stroke lawn mower oil would be cheaper than ATF, too. I'll try it.

As a matter of fact I have an RV roof vent and a solar powered fan for the roof. They're still in boxes waiting for install.

Seems to me that if you have the rings in the walls already, that a hammock would be the way to go. Seperate ring for each corner.

I have crashed in a hammock many times in several countries. They're ok but not my first choice. I don't sleep very well in them without excessive amounts of rum and stuff.

Last edited:

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool. I like the idea. Seen a couple guys do similar with enclosed trailers used for hunting rigs.

dirtydeeds

Reaction score
As usual, I got suckered into working my life away up north.
I managed to get a new windshield into the cab a few months ago. I have some new wipers and a working radio in the basement for it, too.
Im pretty stoked to put some miles on it this summer. And to add a few of the parts I have laying around.

I see that Hino now has a crew cab available. I must go look at one. Could be a good chassis to expand onto in the future.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
work all winter, ride all summer? Like a reverse of lilduke?

dirtydeeds

Reaction score
I like it! You'll probably get some weird looks in the bush though, as in "what the hell is that doing here?" Haha.

I imagine. Years ago I rode with a guy that would use his yellow Loomis cube van. It was a great landmark for people coming to ride with us. You couldn't miss it.

Top Bottom