Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
......lol......
Poor Medicine Hat.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397061799.706571.jpg

Sent from my phone ---- is anyone there ?????

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rats....

I've only ever seen one, and that one, was one more than I ever wanted to see.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
GC140408_TP_Mia_640x360_220688451807.jpg
[h=5][/h] [h=5]What is this?[/h]Sponsored content is written by Global News' editorial staff without any editorial influence by the sponsor. If you'd like to learn more...

[h=5]What is this?
[/h]X[h=5]What is this?[/h]Sponsored content is written by Global News' without any editorial influence by the sponsor. If you'd like to learn more...

MEDICINE HAT, Alta. – Rats! They’re back in southeastern Alberta.
The City of Medicine Hat says that several rats have been spotted in its landfill.
The rats were spotted after a report came in about a single rat found in a farm yard south of Highway 41A. The city, along with Cypress County and Alberta Agriculture are working together to investigate.
In August 2012, an 80-metre-long rats’ nest was found in the landfill and residents called in sightings, resulting in at least 100 Norway rats being killed by city staff. It took six hours for 21 workers and two excavators to dismantle the nest.
Since then, the landfill has been continuously monitored and the city credits that for discovering the new cases. The city says additional bait stations have been put out to poison rats, and staff are checking sites daily.
Agricultural fieldmen known by Albertans as the “rat patrol” have worked for years targeting invading rats within a control zone along the province’s eastern boundary.
Pet rats are also forbidden under provincial law.

straightshooter

Reaction score
Lol you silly albertans tricked into thinking there is no rats in ab. They are everywhere I know bc, sk and mt all have rats... I never knew a imaginary line was able to keep animals out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Alberta is listed as the only province in north america considered "rat free" .... We actually have a rat patrol of about 6 government employees that take care of any rat infestations ;) ..... I've never seen a rat, except for a few people i unfortunately know .... Lol

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is old RK when you need him??
Anyone remember the "shoot, shovel and shut up" speak??
There are rats everywhere. Why do we insist on saying otherwise?

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol you silly albertans tricked into thinking there is no rats in ab. They are everywhere I know bc, sk and mt all have rats... I never knew a imaginary line was able to keep animals out.

you obviously know zip about the Alberta rat-free program......

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
As a kid, we had hours and hours of fun out at the local dump in the evenings with our 22's. Just before dark was the best time!

The old dumps would literally be crawling with 'em! It would be a tough job to patrol the eastern border so to speak but we have to admit the "rat patrol" has done an admirable job! It may not be perfect but there are a hell of a lot less rats in Alberta than there are in Saskatchewan. That has to be a fact!

straightshooter

Reaction score
you obviously know zip about the Alberta rat-free

You obviously don't know zip about how the Rattus norvegicus came to North America, how they migrated across North America or how fast they reproduce. If there's one rat you can guarantee there's 1000 more. I spent 20 years on a farm in sk 10 years in a city in sk and never seen a rat with my own eyes. I've now been in this "rat free" province for 10 years and personally never seen a rat here either. But come on ppl pull your head out of your a$$.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Years ago, I saw rats in many old garages, under lumber piles in back yards, in composts, and of course in the "old dumps". In my last living experience in Saskatchewan, we killed a rat with a hockey stick in our attached garage. Must have come in the service door during the day time. Lying in bed and heard a noise in the garage. Took a flashlight out there and sure enough snuggled into a corner there he was but the hockey stick was wielded a little quicker than the rat was. Took the carcass to the authorities and the block was monitored and checked for a full week. There was a family of them in one of those old unused garages. They exterminated them and gave the town staff a wake-up call.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't really claim to be rat free if you have a rat patrol team that takes care of infestations, can you? :d

Alberta is listed as the only province in north america considered "rat free" .... We actually have a rat patrol of about 6 government employees that take care of any rat infestations ;) ..... I've never seen a rat, except for a few people i unfortunately know .... Lol

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you obviously know zip about the Alberta rat-free

You obviously don't know zip about how the Rattus norvegicus came to North America, how they migrated across North America or how fast they reproduce. If there's one rat you can guarantee there's 1000 more. I spent 20 years on a farm in sk 10 years in a city in sk and never seen a rat with my own eyes. I've now been in this "rat free" province for 10 years and personally never seen a rat here either. But come on ppl pull your head out of your a$$.
Well, actually I do know a fair bit about this program...
Alberta is lucky enough to have 3 natural borders that discourage rats from migrating...we really only have to worry about the east side - AB/Sask border...unless they hitch a ride on a vehicle (which does happen at times)

There have been findings and minor infestations that have been eradicated over the years (many findings once investigated have been muskrats) but since the Alberta Govt. instituted the program in 1950....we, Alberta, are the only place that can officially claim rat free status in North America!
And based on the destruction these guys can cause, I think that's pretty cool!

Below is a chart of how the "rattus norvegicus"....Norway Rat....migrated since the 1930's

0.jpg

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have rats and do nothing, soon you will have a problem. If you do something quickly the problem is easily eliminated. The rat patrol gets on them quickly as soon as they are discovered, ergo, no rats.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't really claim to be rat free if you have a rat patrol team that takes care of infestations, can you? :d

That is why a full time team is in place.....to eradicate any infestations. If there were no team in place, the rats would have migrated throughout most of Alberta.....so Yes, we can claim rat free because the team quickly takes care of any colonies that can and will pop up...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That is why a full time team is in place.....to eradicate any infestations. If there were no team in place, the rats would have migrated throughout most of Alberta.....so Yes, we can claim rat free because the team quickly takes care of any colonies that can and will pop up...

I agree 100%...........it is important to attack at the first sighting. Like someone said earlier, where there is one there is more.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Years ago, I saw rats in many old garages, under lumber piles in back yards, in composts, and of course in the "old dumps". In my last living experience in Saskatchewan, we killed a rat with a hockey stick in our attached garage. Must have come in the service door during the day time. Lying in bed and heard a noise in the garage. Took a flashlight out there and sure enough snuggled into a corner there he was but the hockey stick was wielded a little quicker than the rat was. Took the carcass to the authorities and the block was monitored and checked for a full week. There was a family of them in one of those old unused garages. They exterminated them and gave the town staff a wake-up call.

X2 we did the same thing hockey sticks, golf clubs, shovels we even made up rat killing sticks was 5' of dowel with a swather knife screwed to one end and about 4-5' of clothesline duct tape to the other end when they were running whip them with the clothesline to stun them then stab them with the other end. And i can't tell you how many boxes of 22 shells wasted at the dump killing them and you guys think gophers are fun these guys don't stop and poke there heads up always got to get them on the run. Even remember 1 night the dump was on fire and the cops were out there doing target practice on them

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a summer student job when I was 16 at the local dump back home in SK... Signing people in, showing them where to dump, keep the place somewhat clean.... So I got the key to the place right? My buddy Andrew was old enough to buy beer so we'd go in after dark and shut the lights off and load up...click the lights on and let em have it!!!! Could usually get one or two shoots in before they stayed under the trash... Do er again next saturday night...! No pics...

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score

I can't believe a subway rider in New York did have a gun to send this thing to rat heaven

Top Bottom