The official "1st annual vintage snowmobile ride Revelstoke"

NORDIC

Reaction score
sounds like a great time will have to bring out the olympic, great idea!

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well heading to Revy tomorrow as there is the last club meeting for the year. As to how many are going to show I don't know at this time, I've had some inquiry's about even the local paper wants to do a article. But with this weird winter, I've noticed that alot have lost there enthusiam for the winter east of the Rockies, and there was concerns do i have to have insurance & plates, and the answer is no but it's cheap, but if the rcmp want they will ask you to provide proof of ownership. So there is going to be a bunch of us going up the hill for the day, it should be a lot of fun, and I think for next year it'll have to be in Febuary or March, and if it's foggy or socked in it wouldn't matter, cause you're likely ain't going to much further than the cabin in most cases. will post up here Tuesday.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know the numbers showing but there is defintely going to be sleds there, cause coming back from Revy this morning, I saw vintage sleds heading west. So see you at the Boulder parking lot 9:00 ish, unless your running late trying to rebuild a tillotson carb. The vintage posse will head up together probably 10ish, just to let the trail soften up a bit, can't see guys putting scratchers on unless your running boggies, or slide lube kits. Lol So see you there and bring your fun attitude with ya and a camera!!

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll take a bunch of pictures cause by the sounds of it, it's going to be a good mix of people and sleds, and so far it shows the sun shining for saturday. It'll be a hoot. So if you want to join in meet at boulder parking lot at 9:00ish start heading up about 10ish, as there is no rush with a good crew!

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll take a bunch of pictures cause by the sounds of it, it's going to be a good mix of people and sleds, and so far it shows the sun shining for saturday. It'll be a hoot. So if you want to join in meet at boulder parking lot at 9:00ish start heading up about 10ish, as there is no rush with a good crew!
You going to post pics? We started up but wifes sled overheated(not really it just decided to say it was) so never got to cabin, only made it from truck to booth.lol.
Did see some old iron heading up and that was cool.

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few pics
Revie april 4-5-6 and accident and vintage 044.jpg Revie april 4-5-6 and accident and vintage 045.jpg Revie april 4-5-6 and accident and vintage 048.jpg Revie april 4-5-6 and accident and vintage 053.jpg Revie april 4-5-6 and accident and vintage 054.jpg Revie april 4-5-6 and accident and vintage 062.jpg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. That really brings back alot of great memories.. Dusty you make it back to the trailer with that Polaris or you still on the hill? Lmao!!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I thought Mark was a Doo guy from day one. Lol. Any sleds get towed back down and did any venture farther back than the cabin?

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have some great clips and stuff, but being a vintage kinda guy, I just can't seem to figure out how to upload them.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, all that old stuff went up the hill and back and my wifes hi tec etec only made it a 100 yards. haha

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
vintagesled1.jpg
Calvin from Edson, won with the best restored a 1972 Polaris TX500 ltd, which made it to the cabin and up to waldy world but had to head down, as that old triple sucked up it's share of gas on the Kirkup going 100 plus kmh!

Last edited:

awkwardmoose

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
An article was written in the Revelstoke times: Revelstoke Times Review - Vintage ride brings out snowmobiling history

[h=1]Vintage ride brings out snowmobiling history[/h]
27561revelstokevintagesled2.jpg

Megan Cottingham on a Skidoo Elan 250 Custom and her sister Jacqueline Cottingham on a Skidoo Elan 250 Deluxe.
Alex Cooper/Revelstoke Times Review
By Alex Cooper - Revelstoke Times Review
Published: April 11, 2012 2:00 PM
Updated: April 11, 2012 3:04 PM

On a good snowmobile these days it less than 30 minutes to get to the cabin on Boulder Mountain. When Dusty Veideman first ventured up there with his brother Arnie and friend Bill Rogers more than 40 years ago the trip was a bit more arduous.

“It was bushwhacking all the way through,” he said. “It would take us three days in powder.”

Veideman told me that story at the start of the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club’s first annual Vintage Ride. There was about a dozen old snowmobiles, mostly from the ‘70s lined up, ready to make the trip up the trail to the Boulder Mountain Cabin Saturday morning.

As we spoke, many more people set out on their modern rides. The old machines looked tiny in comparison – half the size and a fraction the horsepower.

“The technology has advanced so rapidly and so far,” Herb Shaede, another long-time local snowmobiler told me. “These are true antiques. Now you just get on and ride. You don’t have to do anything anymore.”

Veideman didn’t have his old snowmobiles out – he said they were no longer in working condition. Shaede brought out his Skiroule SX 400 from the early ‘70s and his son Mark’s 1979 Skidoo Elan SS.

“That was one of the hot rod machines in its day,” Shaede said, referring to Mark’s old snowmobile.

vintagesled3.jpg

Herb and Mark Shaede - with Mark sporting a 1975 leather Ski-doo suit. Alex Cooper/Revelstoke Times Review

According to Veideman, several snowmobile design features may have been derived in Revelstoke.

According to legend, Revelstokians were possibly the first to put paddles on their tracks to help push through the snow.He added that locals were the first to use plastic skis – the snow had a habit of sticking to the old metal skis.

He said Ski-doo came here one year and saw both those improvements and ended up using them on their snowmobiles.

Shaede was living in Mica when he bought his snowmobile in Revelstoke. He once rode it from Mica to Valemount, along logging roads, he said. The last time he rode it was three years ago, but he said it should get to the Boulder Mountain Cabin without problem.

That’s a far cry from days before there were logging roads and groomed trails up the mountain. Back then, Veideman said, they would each take turns busting through the snow. They would gun their engine and drive it as far forward as possible.

They would take turns doing that until they got through – hence why it could take as long as three days to get to the emergency cabin.

“It was fun in those days,” said Veideman. “The ride was terrible but it was still good once you get up there.”

vintagesled1.jpg

Calvin Robinson on his rebuilt 1972 Polaris 500 Limited. Alex Cooper/Revelstoke Times Review

Last edited:
Top Bottom