The most rediculous thing i've heard

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure your intentions of this post were set well in your head but when you put it all to words you sort of lost out on some of the signifiance.

Yeah your buddy is a bonehead for potentially not taking avalanche awareness training, but has he taken it previously and feels he knows enough to get by? Or does he lack the realization that an AST 1 at a minimum is very important when travelling in the backcounty.

Its highly doubtfull that your buddy is going to die. Maybe he feels he never puts himself in a place a danger, and maybe he rarely does, but the training isn't just for his life, it is for all the other riders as well.

Having the knowledge is one piece of the puzzle, having hands on assited training on rescues and beacon use is another. Using common sense and practicing often is even more valuable after you have those pieces.

As much is this is Avalanche Awareness related section, your post isn't providing awareness related info other than pointing out a friend of yours isn't being responsbile for whatever reason he has.

When you say you are attending the AST 1 this year? Are you saying this is your first time attending? And being that have you never rode in the mountains prior to this with out an AST1? Isn't that just as much a bonehead move as your buddy saying he isn't going?

I rode a few seasons in the mountains before completing mine, as I am fully aware many people are in the same position.

If you are concerned for your buddy, man up and talk to him, explain you group will not ride with him with out it if you are that commited to safety.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm confused, why would i be taken an ast 1 course if i had allready taken it? Am i a bonehead for riding in the mountains for the last 20 years, well i guess so. The purpose of the thread was to show that there is still ignorance out there after all we went through last year. And no he is not educated at all and as i stated in my thread he will not be riding with us. Does that answer your questions and can you think of a better place to post this thread?:confused:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"After all we went through last year"?

What about every other year? Is there a certain quota that had to be reached before you had some formal training?

Maybe you personally had some life altering experiences that is leading you down this path to training, but I don't know you personally so one can only assume.

Oh 20 years of riding experience gives you a get out of jail free card I suppose and yeah I bet you have seen a lot more over that time that gives you more experiences. I am sure you have seen things that are very valuable that you will be able to share during your training.

Why would you take an AST 1 course if you had taken one in the past, well how about to refresh your knowledge, some people have had one in years past and will take it again to keep that knowledge fresh. I'm looking into taking the 1.5 that I have been reading about, again to expand upon my knowledge.

Yeah its unfortunate that ignorance exists, and you mentioned you are taking the classroom portion of the AST1, hopefully you are considering the full two days with a trainer.

Did you ask why he wasn't taking it? Is it simple cost? Sucks to put a price on friendship. Avalanche Survival Training is for everyone, not just the guy himarking in the backcountry but anyone who enters avalanche terrain. Even if all you ever did was ride to the chalets its still valuable. Knowing how to use your equipment in an emergency is priceless.

Again, this is an Avalanche Awareness section...since your buddy isn't taking it, well its general snowmobiling now... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom