Reaction score
I had the bag phone.

Actually worked really good

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the bag phone.

Actually worked really good

My buddy had a bag phone, almost like a field radio...worked really well.
He got hammered at a strip club back in the day and forgot it....never to be seen again, lol.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol I still think I have my Motorola bag phone somewhere. Old analog tower and worked 10fold better then the crap now a days.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember having one of these in 1989, I got it as I was a site supervisor on a fire loss. Back then it was real cool to have one. I think it was about $1.50 per minute as well. Had the Motorola Dynatac 8000x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUF3yjgGf4

Before that little Motorola I used to have the big white brick phone and a bag phone for my coil cell fax.
Was across the river from Suncor before their bridge was in - rode the barge daily as did everything else delivered including concrete pours.
$3300-$3700 was my average monthly billing back then.....office use o flip out very month!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember my mom having one of these when I was a kid:

MicrotacElite%282%29.jpg

My grandpa used to have the old bagphone as well, I think he kept it until they quite broadcasting on analog.

You definitely couldn't get data or anything cool on analog, but that signal carried forever, even now I think you could get better phone reception back then in many places.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the old bag phone back in the day. That was a big deal. I honestly think thats the last time I had great cell service on the farm. Lol

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to have the old XJ mobile phones with AGT years before we got the new smaller bag phones.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a bag phone in my first welding truck. It worked everywhere. But slowly quit working as the towers disappeared.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to have the old XJ mobile phones with AGT years before we got the new smaller bag phones.
same here. XJ2-6853 Edmonton. was fun to sit and listen to one-sided conversations while parked out in the middle of nowhere AB. then we went to the Aurora, then the bag phones came out. I bought and put one in my KW, it worked way better than the Aurora. we then put bag phones in all the KW's. they finally shut down the analogue service a few years ago. I still have all my old analogue phones, from the Motorola brick. I also had a cell phone scanner that could pick up analogue cell phones, that was another source of entertainment. lots of interesting conversations.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back when phones were useful and actually worked in the bush when needed.

My old service truck had a Bluetooth bag phone in it. Worked very well as a booster.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My personal cell phone revolution is to leave the fawkin thing home more often and at home leave it on a shelf somewhere.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What were the cost of the old Bag Phones compared to todays mini computers?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was waiting for that, or fernie telling us about his first tin can to string phone...lol sorry it was just to easy.
Hahaha...........I don't remember my first cell phones but I do recall a big black box with a huge antenna. I still have this little baby tucked away for whatever reason............I know this flip phone isn't that old but it is something we don't see much anymore. The question wasn't answered; what is a bag phone?

IMG_4377.jpeg

IMG_4376.jpeg

Top Bottom