The age of enforcers

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a purist who thinks hockey should be free of fights, but i strongly disagree with the school of thought that you need a dedicated goon who plays less than 3 minutes of hockey, and is just there to bash people's face in. That's not what I want to see. I'll take a hockey fight between two guys who can actually play hockey any day of the week, but a fridge on skates whose sole role is to injure others makes me angry.

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They do not need anymore people in the seats they are almost sold out every game , Go Edmonton team lol

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is also the idea of protecting those who cant protect themselves. Would be an interesting go to see RNH, or Hall drop the mitts with the likes of Nash or Iggy. Point in case the Pens.... Lucic and Chara aren't there for their looks

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is also the idea of protecting those who cant protect themselves. Would be an interesting go to see RNH, or Hall drop the mitts with the likes of Nash or Iggy. Point in case the Pens.... Lucic and Chara aren't there for their looks

I didn't say one word about the stars fighting, I did say guys who can play hockey. Lucic and Chara can't be close to compared to MacIntyre, IMHO. You've got two hockey players and a fridge on skates - not the same. Iggy is a hell of a player, love that he drops the mitts from time to time, but again, he can play and fight.

I see nothing wrong with team toughness. I'd love to see the team respond instead of bring in a guy who dropped Ivanans like a sack of potatoes and likely ended his hockey career. What puts butts in seats is goals, and wins. I'd show up and continue to pay for our stupidly priced season seats if they'd keep scoring, winning, and not fight at all. Again, I have NO problem with clean hits, a little retaliation, chippy play. I do have a problem with a goon who's going to play 3 minutes a game, be a liability on the ice, and be out there to destroy bodies and possibly end careers. That goes for any team.

Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is worse, a true enforcer, or those so called hockey players that take cheap shots? I'm sorry, but Matt Cooke absolutely intended to hurt Karlsson last year. I believed that last year, but saw the video again recently, and he was out to hurt him, maybe not cut the Achilles, but he wanted to cut him in some way with his skate. Get rid of the instigator penatly, and Cooke would likely not have done something like that, because an enforcer would be there to dish out some fist sandwiches.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
yea that's a pretty poor comparison, those 2 can play hockey and are a huge asset to their team.....they just happen to also be big enough to handle it when things get rough....rather than bring Macintyre back lets try to get a hard hitting tough defence man who actually adds something else to the team as well.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is worse, a true enforcer, or those so called hockey players that take cheap shots? I'm sorry, but Matt Cooke absolutely intended to hurt Karlsson last year. I believed that last year, but saw the video again recently, and he was out to hurt him, maybe not cut the Achilles, but he wanted to cut him in some way with his skate. Get rid of the instigator penatly, and Cooke would likely not have done something like that, because an enforcer would be there to dish out some fist sandwiches.

I felt like Cooke was out to injure Karlsson as well, maybe that was due to his reputation as a dirty player. It was unfortunate how that all shook down, but I watched the incident over and over, it sure looked intentional. I truly want to watch skill hockey. Skills vs skills. Not tough guys running other, smaller, more talented guys. I'm really hoping that Big Mac is just a crutch until they find a more well rounded player who isn't a liability and actually has some skill. Can we really differentiate between dirty players and enforcers? They are both doing the same thing to the game.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there can be a clear difference between dirty players, and enforcers. I believe enforcers are on the out though. Unfortunately with rule changes, the big hits they used to dish out (think Scott Stevens) would fire up a team, get them to play harder. Now, there is so much emphasis on protection, those hits (even though they are legal hits) are getting the guys suspended. Skill hockey is taking over, but I still think there will always be a place for a big tough guy to knock down someone standing in front of the net, or make life difficult for a line for a few minutes.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skill hockey isn't taking over, its always been there, but like previously stated by others, with the rule change's the role of the grinder is getting squeezed out. There has always been a place and should always be a place for grinders, guys that don't ever get more then a few points a year but yet contribute in several other ways on the ice. Perhaps in shut down roles, on the pk or even just a big hit or fight to fire the team up. Have very little sympathy for the 21 year old kid making 6 million a year complaining about getting hit to hard. Keep you head up and suck it up princess. At what point is it going to be chalked up as occupational hazards. How often did you ever see Gretzky crying to the media about another? The Oilers built a team around him that was able to protect him. Anyone who has every played hockey at any level knows you don't hit a guy to smell his breath, you do it to knock him on his a$$.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think big Mac is going to play much at all (be in the line up)its a shame when Kassin swings his arm and catches a guy with his stick breaking his jaw in two places!!I dont think Kassin would even fight Mac .Laraque ended his carrier cause nobody would fight him any more.he became useless to have on the bench.fighters now days have to be able to contribute with speed and checking and Mac won't be in the lineup for more than a dozen games IMO

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Comparing MacIntyre to Kassian is a far stretch. Kassian is only 22 and in 89 NHL games has over 20+ points, not to mention averaging 15min/game compared to MacIntyre at 91 games and only 4 points. MacIntyre at 33 years old isn't in the same game as Kassian. I think some are missing the concept of the "Enforcer" in exchange for the term "Goon". By all accounts MacIntyre is a good and a power forward like Kassian is a Enforcer. Much to my surprise, Bertuzzi's name hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think big Mac is going to play much at all (be in the line up)its a shame when Kassin swings his arm and catches a guy with his stick breaking his jaw in two places!!I dont think Kassin would even fight Mac .Laraque ended his carrier cause nobody would fight him any more.he became useless to have on the bench.fighters now days have to be able to contribute with speed and checking and Mac won't be in the lineup for more than a dozen games IMO

He's broken right now anyways. I think they said he's out for 6 weeks. In any case, by the way Eakins played his lines last night and the entire 4th line averaging about 6 minutes, it looks pretty clear to me that he's not into that kind of hockey.

S.W.A.T - You're right, I am using the terms interchangeably. I should have stuck with goon - my bad.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was pretty impressed with Gazdic. He knew his role. Brown laid a nice hit. Acton looked not bad. I did like Eakins response after the scrum with Jokinen and the little guys - sending out the banger line.

Eager doesn't fit on the team anymore, he hasn't been the same since concussion issues, and everyone knows he's not going to fight anymore.

Going to be interesting how the lines and playing time pans out, Eakins played Hall like 25 minutes!

What's everyone opinion on Smytty up on the top line? I love Smytty, but he's a step behind - the fans are going to crucify him if he's kept up there on the top line. Swap him and Yakcity and I'd be happy.

Last edited:

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smyth in the press box and the oilers win!!!no coincidence!!!Gazdic was the guy who ran into Mac in practise!!Gazdic looks good to me!Sad to see Eager go !!great player,not a pure fighter and thats sucks to see him cut cause he won't fight!

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smyth in the press box and the oilers win!!!no coincidence!!!Gazdic was the guy who ran into Mac in practise!!Gazdic looks good to me!Sad to see Eager go !!great player,not a pure fighter and thats sucks to see him cut cause he won't fight!

I don't think that Smytty is the problem, I think that playing him on the 1st line was the problem though. He's slowing down from the sh!tkicking he's taken in front of the net for his entire career.

NUGE. Nothing to say. 28 minutes. What a beast!

Top Bottom