Team Canada thoughts?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So now that they have announced Team Canada this morning what are everyone's thoughts on the team selections?

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rick nash doesnt deserve to be there with only 18pts this season....kunitz is only good with crosby.....crosby goes down kunitz numbers will be cut by at least 50%....defense looks super strong....i also would have found a spot for joe thorton.....one of the best set up men in the league....i know he plays center but he could be used on the powerplay.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no problems with this team. I am sure the management have beat this thing to death as to who they pick. As a Canuck fan, nice to see Dan Hamhuis being selected. He is very consistent d-man and a left shot. Doesn't get rattled too much either.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't believe Bowmeester got ran out of Calgary and now is on Team Canada. Sure didn't see that in him watching him at the dome?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go look at jays numbers this year and tell me how he will hurt this team with his skating ability.....
Never questioned his skating ability. I personally like Brent Seabrook better. More points this year and better plus/minus, proven track record playing in big games with his 2 Stanley Cups and previous Olympic experience. JMO.

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never questioned his skating ability. I personally like Brent Seabrook better. More points this year and better plus/minus, proven track record playing in big games with his 2 Stanley Cups and previous Olympic experience. JMO.

I agree....i would have made room for seabrook on this team if I could pick it.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree....i would have made room for seabrook on this team if I could pick it.
HaHa thats what makes being a Canadian Hockey fan fun. We all get to be experts on our national game because of the sheer volume of players at that level. We could probably field 2 or 3 very competitive teams out of this country. Now Switzerland......lol.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bigger question is how will things wash out as the Olympics get closer and injuries effect those named vs replacements. Meaning attitudes from not being picked in the first place. Lets face it, a lot of these guys have some larger then life egos. Laughed when Nash was named. Defense is solid. Never was a fan of Loungo but it is what it is.

We watched the announcements online at work and the political fluffing, pomp and pagentry of it all had us drove nuts. I guess the minister of transportation had to say something it was a rink in her riding and she is a hockey Mom. If team Canada was that important a member of the government was required to speek it should of been Mr. Harper himself. He was probably busy telling his aids to book tickets and hotels in Sochi while signing the expense claim. That is another rant. Sorry off topic.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with the team. I like JBouw on the team, as he is an incredible puck mover, and one hell of a skater. Serious asset on the big ice. I would have liked to see Seabrook over Vlasic. Rick Nash is questionable with this year's numbers, but he has always been a dominant force in international hockey. I would have liked to see Giroux on the team as well, maybe over Jeff Carter. It is a skilled team, which is what you want on the big ice, and in an short tourney format. USA made a mistake in trying to pick a bigger, more gritty team. That style of play does not work on international ice, or in the Olympic tournament format. You need an explosive offence with solid goaltending. Sweden seems to have that format down.

What I don't like about this team, is all of the BS leading up to it. I didn't watch the broadcast, because I am tired of TSN making a giant spectacle out of anything hockey related. Just host a press conference and name the team.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I watched the announcement on Global who had it live. I needed to get to the office and they kept going on and on with speeches and all I wanted to hear were the names. LOL! I was scratching my head when the minister of transportation got up and made her speech. Really??? What does that have to do with sports?

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm tepid about some of the selections.

I'm not sure I would have taken Nash either, but he did play very well last Olys.

Luongo has had a great year IMO. Price - he's good enough. SMith? I'm not sure he makes my team.

Happy to see Subban got the nod.

Not cool with the Kunitz experiment... he might be (probably will be) fooked if Sid goes down - will he by oly caliber without him? not sure.

Carter seems at least mildly questionable. Would have liked to see Hall there, and not just because I'm an Oil fan, but I think his breakout speed would be incredible to watch on the big sheet - he's been having himself a year - always fun to watch!

I'll just gonna sit back and say "You can't go wrong with these picks" and call it good.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh and I plan on doing some crying again.

Was newly pregnant with my 1st, crazy emotional and suffering from horrible morning sickness. I barely moved from the couch that whole weekend, tv glued to Olympic action. I cried my head off for hours after they won. Can't say I won't do it again! LOL

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big difference between having a team on paper and a team on ice. We'll have to see how it pans out when they start playing.

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wish Yzerman picked Marty St-Louis he is having a awesome year even without Stamkos

Top Bottom