Synthetic winch cable

Caanam

Reaction score
Is switching to a synthetic winch cable fairly straight forward?

The OEM metal winch cable doesn't look very robust, and I've heard good things about switching to a synthetic line.

And do any of the vendors here sell them?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best thing since sliced bread. Make sure you have no burrs on your drum, tie rods or any where on your roller fairlead. It is recommended that you use a hawse fairlead by most suppliers.

Caanam

Reaction score
Edit- looks like Blitzkrueg has exactly what I'm looking for

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple things to consider. Dry it after its wet. And only use it for pulling. Any jerking and it breaks.

I have broken 4 of them already.

They work well but can't handle abuse.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They work great as long as you use it to winch and not as a towrope. I've snapped one but that was my own fault for pulling at too much of an angle and it rubbed. personally I'd rather be beside a synthetic line when it snaps. The spool is so much nicer too with no frayed wires. And if it does snap I've been able to tie it back together and get home, I wouldn't trust a knot in a steel cable to hold.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While it's nice not having the steel burs, I run the synthetic purely for safety reasons. In theory, the breaking strength of synthetic lines is high enough that it shouldn't snap under normal pulling conditions but they are extremely susceptible to abrasion. Even the dirt and mud they pick up eventually wears them away. That said, you can always tie or splice a synthetic rope back together and keep going.

Last edited:

Cycle Works West

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cycleworks.com
We have them in stock all the time. Retail at $162.99 (for the kit) if you've never had the synthetic line before you'll want to purchase the kit (comes with new fairlead and 50ft of rope) because your existing fairlead will now have burs on it that will just shred the synthetic line if you don't bother switching the fairlead out also.

Caanam

Reaction score
Would I need to switch out the fairlead even if the winch is brand new and never been used?

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Would I need to switch out the fairlead even if the winch is brand new and never been used?
My synthetic winch came with a non "roller" fairlead I'm told that the roller style can cut the rope if it gets down into corners between the rollers.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440562134.758423.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440562151.458520.jpg

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
FYI...if you ask Northern Metalic to order in the 50' synthetic rope they only charge $55 for it. Rocky NM now stocks them for us... I picked up a few and used them for give aways at the Jamboree this year.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI...if you ask Northern Metalic to order in the 50' synthetic rope they only charge $55 for it. Rocky NM now stocks them for us... I picked up a few and used them for give aways at the Jamboree this year.

With a spliced loop on one end?
Is it dyneema rope? That's a good price if so.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Edit- looks like Blitzkrueg has exactly what I'm looking for
I've ordered from these guys several times over the years....no issues. I use the plastic Hawse fairlead...cheap cheap and works fine.

Edit: I see the UHMW Hawse fairlead is no longer on the site...just aluminum....

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 If not check the tie rods, drum and fairlead for any rough spots.

Top Bottom