Synthetic winch = BS

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have cable on my quad, i've been through hell and back, quad has just about 20,000kms, like rough muskeg, rocks, snow, mud, and everything else, i had to pull my sled out one time that was stuck good, hooked up the quad, then put the tractor on the quad (did that cua i didnt have a long enough chain) pulled it out of the creek no problem, i've heard storys about this rope and not convinced yet. my cable has been pinched and stretched, never snaped yet.

i dont know if thats just my luck or same as saying polaris is better then can-am?

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your jerking your winch line then your lucky you only have to replace the line and not the gears in the winch.
when you hook the winch line onto something stuck or immobile then rapidly take the slack out of the line, causing the winch line to snap tight, is improper use of the winch.

If some jerk did that to my quad or winch, I would be upset!!

Last edited:

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so how many jerks were on this bike anyway?

Very funny....

It was a 2005 Foreman500FE with a WARN 2500, and we pulled, tugged, yanked climbed, tugged some more and she held up like a champ. Did that fine up until the day I sold 'er.

i have cable on my quad, i've been through hell and back, quad has just about 20,000kms, like rough muskeg, rocks, snow, mud, and everything else, i had to pull my sled out one time that was stuck good, hooked up the quad, then put the tractor on the quad (did that cua i didnt have a long enough chain) pulled it out of the creek no problem, i've heard storys about this rope and not convinced yet. my cable has been pinched and stretched, never snaped yet.

i dont know if thats just my luck or same as saying polaris is better then can-am?

Polaris gave me another blue rope. If it snaps I'm done fiddling around with this crap. They said be gentle... How? It's a 4X4, its built to go deep, and the winch is there to get it out. If I go steel and my Po-Po winch breaks, I'm getting a WARN, cuz that S**t's never died on me before.

If your jerking your winch line then your lucky you only have to replace the line and not the gears in the winch.
when you hook the winch line onto something stuck or immobile then rapidly take the slack out of the line, causing the winch line to snap tight, is improper use of the winch.

So I hear, Kinda dumb that they are made out of plastic.

If some jerk did that to my quad or winch, I would be upset!!

Looks like a tow-rope is my new best friend, cuz a winch seems like all it can do these days is just sit there and be a show piece.

At the dealer they where telling me no tugging, no pulling, just winching, but don't winch too hard or you might break it, and all this crap on what all my other winches had absolutely no problem doing.

Just a quick question. Does anyone make a REAL winch that you can use like a towrope? that you can pull something out of a hole without breaking every rule there is? I thought these things where durable.

On my last quads I winched in while being tugged. Got me out, and the winch never had a problem, do they still make these winches? Cuz it seems like they where a part of a better time.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question. Does anyone make a REAL winch that you can use like a towrope? that you can pull something out of a hole without breaking every rule there is? I thought these things where durable.

All the winches are basically the same a drum with some cable and plastic drive gears none are made to do what you want. I once had a 2500lb warn apart on my bench and a $80 liquidation mart winch apart and all the parts were interchangeable. and dam you must have been some stuck cause i have yet to stall out my 3500lb popo winch.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the winches are basically the same a drum with some cable and plastic drive gears none are made to do what you want. I once had a 2500lb warn apart on my bench and a $80 liquidation mart winch apart and all the parts were interchangeable. and dam you must have been some stuck cause i have yet to stall out my 3500lb popo winch.

Lets just say the snow was up to the front rack.

I got it back today and the dealer said my winch had been pulled so tight that it had actually fused the wire together.

kawiford

Reaction score
Is this your first quad?

Chit is gonna break, just a fact of life.

It's an expensive sport. Deal with it.

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had synthetic on my Polaris for 2 years and no troubles at all, after a hand full of wickers from steel I'll be putting rope on my Brute soon to.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i have a 4000 lb winch n my rzr and no issues with the rope i only broke it once jerking onit

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They don't make them like they did in the day Steel gears its all plastic now

Yeah, I think thats kind of retarded on the manufactures part, but everything has to be el-cheapo these days...

Is this your first quad?

Chit is gonna break, just a fact of life.

It's an expensive sport. Deal with it.

Dude, check the username. Quads are pretty much my life. I've been riding since I was 6, first quad at 8. I'm 17 now and have owned 7 quads (4 sport and 3 4X4) and ridden countless other machines.

I know parts break, I've had to deal with that all the way from broken plastic, swing arm pivot bolts, to handlebars and steering stems. I've ran a Z400 into the ground and blew up an LT-R on the track.

Heres a video of what kind of stuff we go through. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzrWXxXbSHw[/media]

I've had synthetic on my Polaris for 2 years and no troubles at all, after a hand full of wickers from steel I'll be putting rope on my Brute soon to.

Yeah, I always hated it when steel frayed and jabbed into your skin. Overall though I loved the strength.

Well i have a 4000 lb winch n my rzr and no issues with the rope i only broke it once jerking onit

Yeah, they told me not to jerk it.. There goes everything I knew about winches.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude, check the username. Quads are pretty much my life. I've been riding since I was 6, first quad at 8. I'm 17 now and have owned 7 quads (4 sport and 3 4X4) and ridden countless other machines.

Oh i am done, found the problem. Another kid that knows it all. Just like my younger brother and how I used to be. I always wondered why dad always gave me chit when i broke something. Now i look back and it was cause i treated chit like crap just like u do. Once you have to pay for all your stuff thats when you treat things better. I don't mean to be a a$$ but we all know it's true.

Altapeet

Reaction score
Don't get discouraged Quad "BOY" ,one day you will wake up and realize that you're not as smart as you thought you were ,in the mean time ...keep on digging jr.:rolleyes:

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh i am done, found the problem. Another kid that knows it all. Just like my younger brother and how I used to be. I always wondered why dad always gave me chit when i broke something. Now i look back and it was cause i treated chit like crap just like u do. Once you have to pay for all your stuff thats when you treat things better. I don't mean to be a a$$ but we all know it's true.

Not gonna lie, but your part way right. Except for the comment about me getting things paid for. I got my first 4X4 paid for and my first race quad. The rest of my quads, including all of the broken parts, 5000+ worth of mods into my YFZ and my XP came out of my own pocket. The track in the video there took me 3 years to build.

I remember back in the day my dad used to tell me the same stuff, and don't worry about upgrading if the part still worked. He also told me not to worry about having fun and actually using the quad. But hey, life's about learning, we all make a few mistakes here and there.

Don't get discouraged Quad "BOY" ,one day you will wake up and realize that you're not as smart as you thought you were ,in the mean time ...keep on digging jr.:rolleyes:

OoOh, never heard that one before.. And when the hell did I say that I was smart? At least I know my place and don't have to jump to my thread to make some rediculous comment about my age and username. Do you feel proud? Did you accomplish anything? So, "Keep on digging, keep digging yourself into that same rut the other lowlifes dig themselves into"

I started this thread cuz I felt like putting it out there that I had a bad expirence with a synthetic winch rope. For some reason you feel the need to come on here and bash me just because I actually go out there and use my quad.

If you like, why don't I give you the aderess to an elemantary school so you can go bash them and their hotwheels while your at it as well!!

BTW, I think you dropped this.
:twocents:

racerfromhell

Reaction score
hey quadboy I have a 3500lb winch with the "blue' rope and my 08 rzr is at least sitting at 1200lbs dry with all the options added. I have winched it out sideways from snow banks and mud holes and I am still on the org rope. I even had a dumba$$ person on his sled drive accross my rope and nicked it with his carbides and it still has not broke......I think that maybe you just had bad luck and recieved a faulty rope.
I love that you don't have to worry about the cable cutting you and the ability to throw your stuck buddy the hook. (try that with a cable) but i have also never tugged or jerked with it. Just winched no problems yet

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey quadboy I have a 3500lb winch with the "blue' rope and my 08 rzr is at least sitting at 1200lbs dry with all the options added. I have winched it out sideways from snow banks and mud holes and I am still on the org rope. I even had a dumba$$ person on his sled drive accross my rope and nicked it with his carbides and it still has not broke......I think that maybe you just had bad luck and recieved a faulty rope.
I love that you don't have to worry about the cable cutting you and the ability to throw your stuck buddy the hook. (try that with a cable) but i have also never tugged or jerked with it. Just winched no problems yet

Yeah, that's exactly what I don't like about steel cables. That's probably the only down side but to me they seem stronger. I got my rope replaced so I'll see how it goes. They inspected the rope and told me there where a few frays that shouldn't have been there so they'll try to get it done under warranty. If my second rope breaks I'm switching to cable though.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quadboy

While reading one of your comments on another topic I realized by looking at your picture it looks like you have a roller fairlead. Do yourself a favor and throw that in the garbage and buy yourself a hawse fairlead as these are recomended for use with synthtic rope. With the roller fairlead the rope can get pinched near the rollers edge and will cause the rope to break. With the right equipment you will love synthtic rope!

Top Bottom