Synthetic winch = BS

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You hook up the snatch block to the rear of the other machine if you can winch ,if not you hook it up to your machine and let him pull GENTLY .I am not sure of the physics involved but this really works without sucking the other machine in

Listen, if a winch pulls my buddy in with me, then the snatch block will do the exact same thing. He had his brute's tires spinning as my quad pulled his backwards. A snatchblock wont fix this. Thats basically for when you've got a solid anchor like a tree to use... which where non existant where we where.

After the cable broke, we used a tow strap and voila... quad is out.

Alright plain and simple here if your stuck and are going to use a winch let the WINCH do the work absolutly under no circiumstances should another machine do any kind of pulling, tugging, or jerking! If you want to perform any of those three actions I suggest you buy a tow strap and quite arguing about what quadboy SHOULD have done. He did what he did and it obviously wasn't the right thing to do so he is moving on.:beer::beer:

Agreed. :beer:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check it out

hmm, maybe read the whole site, as i stated they are listing 2 different strengths, mine and also the one you looked at. only i read the whole listing, under home look for 3/16 and just below is 1/4 inch. you can uses either number i would use the lower and have a little safety, but it is up to you. the problem is he exceeded the rating of the rope when jerking the line. he needs a bigger line than 3/16, or is there something i'm missing.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm, maybe read the whole site, as i stated they are listing 2 different strengths, mine and also the one you looked at. only i read the whole listing, under home look for 3/16 and just below is 1/4 inch. you can uses either number i would use the lower and have a little safety, but it is up to you. the problem is he exceeded the rating of the rope when jerking the line. he needs a bigger line than 3/16, or is there something i'm missing.

And as previously stated, I shouldn't be jerking it unless I'm using a tow rope.

Though a bigger rope adds peace of mind.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You really don't need anything bigger than 3/16". We have run 3/16" on a 4000lb winch mounted to a 6x6 Ranger. That thing has been so deeply planted, it took 4 quads and another sxs to yard it out. We have tortured the winch, and never had a problem. But, we have never tugged or jerked on the line. I think you could use the extra 10' of line more than you need the extra thickness.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You really don't need anything bigger than 3/16". We have run 3/16" on a 4000lb winch mounted to a 6x6 Ranger. That thing has been so deeply planted, it took 4 quads and another sxs to yard it out. We have tortured the winch, and never had a problem. But, we have never tugged or jerked on the line. I think you could use the extra 10' of line more than you need the extra thickness.

Well, if it breaks again (with out tugging) I'll switch to something bigger.

Of not, then I'll stick with my 3/16.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, today I put on a Kimpex rubber winch saver, this should keep my roller fairleads nice and dent free, and keep the hook out of there. It looks pretty sweet.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, today I put on a Kimpex rubber winch saver, this should keep my roller fairleads nice and dent free, and keep the hook out of there. It looks pretty sweet.

be sure to sand down your fairlead now if the hook has hit it and caused the slightest knick!

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be sure to sand down your fairlead now if the hook has hit it and caused the slightest knick!

No man, she's good. I went through her and its spotless. The quad's got less that 5 hours on it still :d

I'll take your word for it though, if I notice dings on it down the road, emery cloth, here I come.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No man, she's good. I went through her and its spotless. The quad's got less that 5 hours on it still :d

I'll take your word for it though, if I notice dings on it down the road, emery cloth, here I come.

good man charlie brown!! :thumbsup2:

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a "Dog Dong" for my winch cable !! (OK no smart comments !! LOL) Those dog chew toys !!! Just thred your cable threw ad re-attach the hook. Been using it for a couple years now and no problems !! My Dad has my old quad and it still has its "Dong". (Please, no comments, again !! LOL)

I AM SO UPSET !!!!!!!! You DIDN'T buy a "dong dong" for your new ride !!!!!LOL

hammerbike

Reaction score
Well this thread has sure been an education!! Thanks to everyone involved!
I was gonna buy a synthetic rope just because I thought it would be better/safer. I didn't even realize there were all these different types!
If I decide to purchase synthetic rope, at least I can make an informed decision!! Thanks again guys! :beer: :beer: :beer:

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this thread has sure been an education!! Thanks to everyone involved!
I was gonna buy a synthetic rope just because I thought it would be better/safer. I didn't even realize there were all these different types!
If I decide to purchase synthetic rope, at least I can make an informed decision!! Thanks again guys! :beer: :beer: :beer:

Just don't do what I did and tug on your rope.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so quad boy hows the synthetic rope holding up? is it better since you know how to care for it?

Top Bottom