Synthetic oil

Harp

Reaction score
All Synthetics Are Not Created Equal.
(In fact, some “synthetics” are not even truly synthetic.)
Spectro® Platinum Synthetic is, without
doubt, one of the finest synthetic lubricants
you can buy today, no matter what kind of
motorcycle, snowmobile, PWC or racing car
you run.
Why? Because it is a true synthetic.
Spectro Platinum Synthetic is crafted from
modern Group IV PAO (polyalphaolefin) synthetic
base stocks. These PAO molecules are
assembled from the ground up to provide
superior strength and endurance, no matter
how hard you push or long you punish them.
The Group IV synthetic molecule is thus engineered
from scratch to better resist being
sheared in the gears, and to fight degrading
oxidation due to high temperatures.
(The competitive Group III petroleum oils —
adjudged “synthetic” in the course of a long,
contentious legal proceeding — are just typical
mineral oil molecules which have been
refined to a higher level than standard petroleum.
They are fine oils, we would agree, but
they are not purpose-built starting at the
molecular level to deliver maximum
endurance.)
The advantage of true 100% synthetics isn’t
measured in lubrication qualities like “slipperiness”,
but more in longevity and
“usability”.
Easier starting at any temperature, less reaction
to temperature extremes, greater durability
and resistance to breakdown through
molecular shearing.
Spectro Platinum costs more, but delivers so
much more longevity and security.
So when you’re offered a “synthetic” at a
lesser price than Spectro Platinum, chances
are good you’re getting a lesser product.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well ran out this morning and looked for the shell syn at my local canadian tire and sold out southland store now has none as well

I bought the second last jug there.... and contemplated on the last one =Þ

Lemme know. I am going into work tomorrow and I know of one location, when all others are sold out, still have it.

I may be picking another jug or two up so if you want I can pick up more or just let you know if they have some.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the second last jug there.... and contemplated on the last one =Þ

Lemme know. I am going into work tomorrow and I know of one location, when all others are sold out, still have it.

I may be picking another jug or two up so if you want I can pick up more or just let you know if they have some.

just get a raincheck or go to the shell bulk station $38....

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But that's 5$ more per jug!!!! *SHOCK*

Hehe.

I'm not certain how much sledding I'll get in this year.. =(

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But that's 5$ more per jug!!!! *SHOCK*

Hehe.

I'm not certain how much sledding I'll get in this year.. =(

I hear ya Im the same way try and save when possible,,, stuff is not cheap to many hobbies....

just tell me when your ready....

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Im the same way try and save when possible,,, stuff is not cheap to many hobbies....

just tell me when your ready....

Waiting for the snow to settle down a bit and get a good base. Unneeded repaires are costly too!

Anyways, this is my excuse to give me enough time to replace my chain. Just doing it for peice of mind (06's and their crappy chains).

After that, should be good. Might rebuild my carbs and rejet a bit, but that's not something I have to do right away.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whitecourt sold out already too. I've got a case coming in on raincheck. Even have about $100 in CT money to cover most of it, so my oil this season will be almost free - just lke Mexico, almost free senior.:d:beer::d

how much do ya have to spend to get 100 in ct money

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at Shawnessy Canadian tire...and they didnt have any left on the shelf

So I went to the help desk....and he went in the back and found a few cases so I bought 1 case 4-4L jugs....probably the same at other stores too...ask them to make sure

Also saw that they had a gazillion 1L bottles of the stuff.....which also works out ok as its the same price....

it may even be easier with the one liter bottles as you can keep one in your pack...just for emergency

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So I went to the help desk....and he went in the back and found a few cases so I bought 1 case 4-4L jugs....probably the same at other stores too...ask them to make sure

Also saw that they had a gazillion 1L bottles of the stuff.....which also works out ok as its the same price....

it may even be easier with the one liter bottles as you can keep one in your pack...just for emergency

I always keep a spare 1L on the sled. Had a buddy a couple years back fill his up and neglect to put the cap back on and drove off. about 40 K away from the trailer checked the level because the light came on and the oil was empty. Have never left home again without a spare litre.

tm8man414

Reaction score
i run full syn shell advance its cheap and smell the best out of all of them..havent blown a motor on it yet..using it for 5000km

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

when were you there they told me they had none and i went up to the southland store and cleaned them out but i like the one litre bottle as well
so might go help ourselves to them

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there an advantage to using the brand name synthetic 2 stroke oil, or are the knock-offs that are cheaper as good?

Amsoil all the way. best synthetic 2 stroke oil available, pricey but when does cost ever matter when yer buying for the one you love!:)

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a note that the West End C-Tire will still honour the Shell Advance sale price if you ask for it at the parts counter. Bill who works the suto parts desk said they make up their own rules at the West End store. :beer:

Should note they also have their Formula 1 fully synthetic 5W30 and 10W30 on sale for 46% off, that's $15.99 for 4L. Last time this did this was 2 years a go and limited to 8 per visit. Made a lot of visits that time! No limit this time and it's going fast. With the last sale 2 years a go and now this one, I have enough synthetic oil for at least 5 to 6 years worth of oil changes.

Motomaster Formula 1 fully synthetic is packaged by Shell.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when were you there they told me they had none and i went up to the southland store and cleaned them out but i like the one litre bottle as well
so might go help ourselves to them

sorry for the less than prompt reply:d

I was there last saturday.....think the sale is over now ??

SKIROULE

Reaction score
Does any:confused:one know if you can switch over to synthetic from mineral? My Summit calles for mineral but I would like to use Amsoil, I use it in my Sea Doo but it calls for full syn.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does any:confused:one know if you can switch over to synthetic from mineral? My Summit calles for mineral but I would like to use Amsoil, I use it in my Sea Doo but it calls for full syn.

some articles suggest that shell ultra synthetic is Doo oil...and that shell packages ski doo oil.....however

yes your "good to go" as far as running synthetic versus mineral....lots of folks ONLY run syth these days in a modern sled.......

and just a side note......even in the garage running in my track...it smells really good !!!

SKIROULE

Reaction score
It's strange why in my manual it shows to "only" use mineral. I like the Amsoil because it smokes less and does'nt stink as bad.

Top Bottom