Synthetic oil

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the Shell bulk plant? It may be well worth a trip!

at the bulk staion its $153 for a case of 4, like $37 a jug. for syn

just google shell bulk, one i calgary I am sure there be one or 2 up north,,

see what the Canadian tire price is next week

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't necessarily want your oil to burn clean away. Sometimes you need the ash to help cool things down in your motor. I run the Advance regular (not semi or full syn) since the sulphated ash helps cool the piston domes. I run the jetting a little closer to the ragged edge (50% of the time) and so I need the ash to help cool the domes or I run the risk of melting a piston. Doo covers the full warranty on Shell oils, no risk of you having a voided claim because you didn't use Ski Doo oil, I'm sure most of the others are the same.

I recommend that you guys talk to the oil guys, who really know the oil, base components and detergents, additives, etc, not the dealers. The oil experts are the oil experts for good reasons. So long as it won't void warranty, and make sure that part is in writing somewhere (usually on the bottle or the website), then I would run what the oil guys say to run (and I do).

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am still trying to decide to for my RT1000. Previous owner ran doo synthetic for 1800 miles not sure if I want to change it? I have an amsoil account so I can get it for cheaper but i'm guessing it's the same price as the doo stuff. No idea what i'm going to do yet. Cheaper is good but not worth if if the oil is crap.

couchrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your supposed to put oil in these things. Oh NO!

JK I run the DOO synthetic. Not sure If I would trust the crappy tire stuff. JMO

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your supposed to put oil in these things. Oh NO!

JK I run the DOO synthetic. Not sure If I would trust the crappy tire stuff. JMO

You do know it's not their oil? Canadian tire sells amsoil, redline, and royal purple to and I don't think anyone will call those crap!

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an other useless response but I had been running Castrol in my 99 700 RMK and now in my 06 Rev that I have owned since new and I have never fouled a plug and have never had a problem except the dealer had me using a tank of gas to a tank of oil ( Still did not foul a plug ) I took it in and they calibrated the oil pump to a NON WARRANTY spec...LOL and still no prob I think as long as your machine is set up properly and your not running recycled oil out of a glass jar you should be OK:d:d O buy the way I am running Amsoil now not sure why peer pressure maybe?????

Harp

Reaction score
is the shell stuff good for a cat power valves??
i run apv

I could not resist!

Use Spectro P.A.O. Full Synthetic Powervalve Formula.

Syn-Sno Full Synthetic Powervalve Formula
This low ash, low pour synthetic lubricant keeps power valves and exhaust systems free of carbon deposits. No engine oil burns cleaner. Virtually smokeless, and flows to -57° Centigrade. May also be used as a pre-mix oil for racing applications. Excellent performance in Rotax snowmobile engine tests. Exceeds JASO FD, ISO-L-EGD + and API TC test requirements. For use in all — any year, no restrictions — two-cycle Arctic-Cat, Polaris, Yamaha, and Ski-Doo snowmobile engines.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how much a jug??

I could not resist!

Use Spectro P.A.O. Full Synthetic Powervalve Formula.

Syn-Sno Full Synthetic Powervalve Formula
This low ash, low pour synthetic lubricant keeps power valves and exhaust systems free of carbon deposits. No engine oil burns cleaner. Virtually smokeless, and flows to -57° Centigrade. May also be used as a pre-mix oil for racing applications. Excellent performance in Rotax snowmobile engine tests. Exceeds JASO FD, ISO-L-EGD + and API TC test requirements. For use in all — any year, no restrictions — two-cycle Arctic-Cat, Polaris, Yamaha, and Ski-Doo snowmobile engines.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is the shell stuff good for a cat power valves??
i run apv

according to the guarantee on the side of the shell syn bottle...I heard the shell ts the same as the doo oil????

ON SALE NOW canadian tire $33.for 4 litre $141tax in for a case.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how much a jug??

I pick up a case of it this year from him at the sled show. I can't remember what I paid, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper than APV from Cat. I figured it was worth a try, full synthetic oil.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well ran out this morning and looked for the shell syn at my local canadian tire and sold out southland store now has none as well

Harp

Reaction score
according to the guarantee on the side of the shell syn bottle...I heard the shell ts the same as the doo oil????

ON SALE NOW canadian tire $33.for 4 litre $141tax in for a case.

There is a difference in Synthetics. See the link.
Shell, castrol, Doo, Cat, poo, yami. Group 3

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well ran out this morning and looked for the shell syn at my local canadian tire and sold out southland store now has none as well

Whitecourt sold out already too. I've got a case coming in on raincheck. Even have about $100 in CT money to cover most of it, so my oil this season will be almost free - just lke Mexico, almost free senior.:d:beer::d

kitteta

Reaction score
I had a 97 700 mountain max that yamaha said would blow up if reved over 9000rpm, i clutched it for 10000rpm since day 1 and never touched the engine, all i ever used was shell advance (non synthetic)
I now have a 04 800 rev with nos and all i ever run is synthetic co-op oil 27 bucks for 4 liter jug. never touched the engine. run it in my ktm 250xcw too. the oil is tcw3 rated.
Think about it, there is about 3 refineries in western canada that supply fuel and oils to canada. our fuel and oils all come from just about the same place with different labels. of course there are other brands that are imported. Good Luck, Trent.

Top Bottom