switching sleds

andycap

Reaction score
My friend just heat siezed his summit and am thinking of switching to a yamaha nytro. I have a 2008 summit. I have seen lots of two strokes towed out but no four strokes. I like my summit but its expensive to get a heli lift for a sled. Just wandering what people think.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason you never see a yammy getting helied out is they can't find a big enough chopper to lift them. Lol j/k
But on a serious note you have to remember there is probably still a 2 or 3-1 ratio of 2-4 strokers on the hills. Imo I your happy with what you got keep running it. A 4 stroker may have the same power as you 800 stock but also weighs 80-100 lbs more. Unless you plan to turbo I would stay with 800

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend just heat siezed his summit and am thinking of switching to a yamaha nytro. I have a 2008 summit. I have seen lots of two strokes towed out but no four strokes. I like my summit but its expensive to get a heli lift for a sled. Just wandering what people think.

What kind of riding do you like to do? IMO a Yamaha is a great sled IF it is turboed and even at that, its still only good for going straight up a hill. If you like to play in trees or do technical stuff like that, stick with a lighter 2 stroke.
I'm not gonna mess around with old sleds anymore. Gonna keep trading sleds so I always have warranty. Seems like the best thing to do IMO.

andycap

Reaction score
I know there about 100 lbs more and all the riding we do is mountain riding with mixture of trees and hillclimbs. Probably right sell every two to three years to keep warrenty on it. I would like to try one to see what they are like might rent one for the day to try.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there about 100 lbs more and all the riding we do is mountain riding with mixture of trees and hillclimbs. Probably right sell every two to three years to keep warrenty on it. I would like to try one to see what they are like might rent one for the day to try.

I would rent a turbo one for a day. My cousin has a stock nytro, and that thing is a pig. Mind you he has the horrible stock track that were on the 08 nytros. With a decent track it would be easier to ride. I would like to try a turbo nytro myself sometime.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple nitros. Stage two turbo. And also a low boost. I don't climb at all. Always in the trees playing is where u find me. They are a ton of fun and yeah.... Heavy. You will learn to get stuck less and be less stuck. Ie not straight up and down between 2 trees. I tried to go back to 2 stroke this winter after 3 yrs on nitros. Bought a pump gas turbo and really diddnt like it. I felt lucky everytime it started.lol. Sold and back on yamis. Most who go 4 stroke never go back. And of course I only am telling u my opinion

Andrew

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
do it, do it!

I went from a rev to a nytro and love it. I wouldnt have done it without boost although. Stock nytro is pretty borin... still have a couple of revs, cant give them up!

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i gave up dirty hands for a tired body at the end of day, with boost I am happy with the Nytro, never let me down in 3 seasons so far,couldnt say that with the 2 strokers in my group. When the yammi does crater its going to be a big bill though.
They are all money pits IMO

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Apex has 6200kms on it almost all tree riding. I found an Apex is sometimes more work to get it to go where you want and sometimes less. Having the 4stroke torque down low in the rpm range can be very handy in the trees.

A nytro is more responsive than an Apex, it's going to need different input than a rev but learn how to ride it and I'm sure it'll go anywhere a rev or xp can, until it runs out of hp. It is down on HP and weighs more....eventually physics catches up.

But rather than buy a new sled every three years; ride a nytro for three years then go turbo. Spend the money on go fast rather than a new set of decals. But the cost of an e-tec is getting up there...a nytro with turbo isn't a whole lot more if your going to keep it for 3+ yrs.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Over the top rentals in Calgary will rent you a nytro turbo if you want to check it out.:d

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so your buddie made a mistake and now you want to switch :confused:

this decision all depends on teh type of riding you do.

turbo nytros are a blast if thats your thing

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ah 180 wouldn't be enough tho..... for the weight....

the 240 i rode was bland at 180.... seemed like and old 03 and older s chassis with a non 800ho....

with 240 it felt like a 800r with a b.b in it..... about right

still front heavy and pulls over like an xp [ either not far enough or too far on its side ]...

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ah 180 wouldn't be enough tho..... for the weight....

the 240 i rode was bland at 180.... seemed like and old 03 and older s chassis with a non 800ho....

with 240 it felt like a 800r with a b.b in it..... about right

still front heavy and pulls over like an xp [ either not far enough or too far on its side ]...

I'd respond but what is the point; a nytro with 180 hp at altitude is equivalent to an 120hp '03 s chassis?! 10-4, doo can do no wrong.
:rolleyes: If only Yamaha could eat skidoos 8 year old lunch. Where's my coolaid and doo glasses?:d

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride an apex with a boondocker at about 270hp and in the steep and deep through the trees it works awesome. I am only 5'7" and 175lb and I agree with the others that I would rather have a tired body at the end of the day than to have an empty wallet. But it does come down to whatever you are the most comfortable riding.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have got to ride a couple nytro's at work. seem like a really nice sled. lots of torque. the only things i don't like are weight, the steering geometry and it seems hard to put in reverse sometimes.

Top Bottom