Switch from '13 m800 to '16 m9000 worth it?

COLBEE

Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on the new 16 m9000's, have had a 13 m800 for a couple years now and thinking about upgrading... What's the weight difference? What's the best setup for bumping up power to around 220hp?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Havent ridden the 16 yet but have a 13 1100 turbo with the hijacker and straight pipe pushing close to 240 hp, extra weight is very noticeable compared to my 14 m8000,unless in fresh snow, then its bot to bad, boondocker ez jacker with a pipe will get you 220 easily

Sent from my iPhone because who uses a computer anymore

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weight is noticeable, the 4S is a different "cat" so to speak. They are a blast to ride though. Don't waste your time with the ez-jacker, go with EVO's 215 flash and a free breathing muffler. The EVO flash adds some safeguards, raises the rev limiter, and changes the timing curve. Their stuff works well. My second choice would be a speedwerx reflash. Get ahold of Gene at White Knuckkle Motorsports, he's the EVO distributor in Canada and can reflash the ECM on site.

COLBEE

Reaction score
Okay, so this EVO kit is a bolt on kit? Or just a ecu re flash? Do you know what it would cost roughly?

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I don't know. I ride a lot. Had a 800 turbo and now ride my 800 just with a jaws single pipe and belt drive for the weight loss and I also have a stock 800. I have a buddy with a modded 1100 and also a 450hp viper and I refuse to ride either of them for any length of time. If you ride open bowls and that's it maybe

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and ride one first. Most people end up hating the weight.

...but end up addicted to the power.

Ya I don't know. I ride a lot. Had a 800 turbo and now ride my 800 just with a jaws single pipe and belt drive for the weight loss and I also have a stock 800. I have a buddy with a modded 1100 and also a 450hp viper and I refuse to ride either of them for any length of time. If you ride open bowls and that's it maybe

like bopper said try one first. but give it a fair shake. It's something that will take some getting used to. And like ZRrrr said you will get addicted to the power. When I first took my 2012 M1100 to the mountains I hated it. If someone would have offered me a crisp $50 bill they would have got them selves a hell of a deal. I changed up the steering post on the 2012 and I took a shine to it. the 2013's came out with a narrower ski stance so I tried one and like it. I sold the 2012 and got a 2014. Loved it. Test rode the 2016 M8 last spring and decided that a new front end on the 14 was in order. Changed the machines handling significantly. Haven't got that many mile on the new front end but I feel that it's going to make a a big difference in the the total handling of the sled. I've got mine boost to around that 250 Hp level and have a real tough time stepping down to a two stroke. I do however miss the smell of two stroke smoke with bean oil. IMG_1609 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on the new 16 m9000's, have had a 13 m800 for a couple years now and thinking about upgrading... What's the weight difference? What's the best setup for bumping up power to around 220hp?
Funny you're thinking of going to the fourstroke, I'm thinking of going from the 4 to 2. I have a done up 2012 1100 with the narrow front end, EVOPS brv, td full 3" exhaust, boondocker 2.0 and a few other things. While the power and throttle response is ridiculous and super addicting the sled is riding me after a few hours. I'm 6'4" 170lbs and thought I'd have enough leverage but it is a beast.
Trying to figure out what to do. There are a few videos out there that compare the cat/yammy 4 stroke ride weight to that of the rmk and summit and once ridden in deep snow they all supposedly weigh similar. I'm thinking it's rigged somehow but the video does a good job of making it seem not.

85e25c094a34fceffe75effee6271875.jpg

Comparison video if you care?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LtjsylwWboc

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny you're thinking of going to the fourstroke, I'm thinking of going from the 4 to 2. I have a done up 2012 1100 with the narrow front end, EVOPS brv, td full 3" exhaust, boondocker 2.0 and a few other things. While the power and throttle response is ridiculous and super addicting the sled is riding me after a few hours. I'm 6'4" 170lbs and thought I'd have enough leverage but it is a beast.
Trying to figure out what to do. There are a few videos out there that compare the cat/yammy 4 stroke ride weight to that of the rmk and summit and once ridden in deep snow they all supposedly weigh similar. I'm thinking it's rigged somehow but the video does a good job of making it seem not.

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/04/85e25c094a34fceffe75effee6271875.jpg

wonder why Cat 1100 turbo wasn't included in the comparison.

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking because they are essentially each others competition and Yamaha produced the video?
Yamaha triple vs cats twin with turbo must be close to the same weight? Just very different power to weight ratios.
Starting to think I might try a 2 stroke for a year as I've never ridden one a full season.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old 2 stroke vs 4 stroke debate. I ride both 2 stroke and 4 stroke! I personally prefer the Yamaha over the cat for a 4 stroke sled, so I would be looking at that option. The weight of the sled is so over rated, all you hear is guys whining about how heavy 4 strokes are, when in truth I can dangle and put my 4 stroke anywhere I put my 2 stroke. I'm not a big guy either. It really doesn't matter. Put your purse down

COLBEE

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how the 16 works compared to past models with the wider skis and narrower ski stance, also I'm sure they have shed a few pounds from the 13 to the 16, hearing lots of good things about the evo 215 setup tho, will be interesting to ride one and find out some pricing!

Ewaschuk

Reaction score
like bopper said try one first. but give it a fair shake. It's something that will take some getting used to. And like ZRrrr said you will get addicted to the power. When I first took my 2012 M1100 to the mountains I hated it. If someone would have offered me a crisp $50 bill they would have got them selves a hell of a deal. I changed up the steering post on the 2012 and I took a shine to it. the 2013's came out with a narrower ski stance so I tried one and like it. I sold the 2012 and got a 2014. Loved it. Test rode the 2016 M8 last spring and decided that a new front end on the 14 was in order. Changed the machines handling significantly. Haven't got that many mile on the new front end but I feel that it's going to make a a big difference in the the total handling of the sled. I've got mine boost to around that 250 Hp level and have a real tough time stepping down to a two stroke. I do however miss the smell of two stroke smoke with bean oil.View attachment 193086

Are the shocks on your 14 the same as the evols on the 13?buddy was going to put the 16 front end on his 13 but would have to buy new shocks because he wouldn't be able to get the spacers in. He already narrowed it once but wouldn't be able to get another set of spacers in.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That video is such a pile of lies look at the 1 minute mark the snow is packed in to the polaris A arm like nothing Ive ever seen and look at the snow their riding dry light pow and weighing wet heavy snow lies all lies

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/04/85e25c094a34fceffe75effee6271875.jpg

Top Bottom