Sway bar on summit xp's?

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i always take the sway bar out on my sleds. thats my preference though. im not at all concerned how it works on the trail. for me just a nescesary evil to get to the goods. i think in theory if you are hitting different bumps with one ski at a time it will allow the suspension to move independently of each other and toss you around less. i rode with the sway bar on for a while and pulled it out recently. didnt notice much difference on the trail or in the pow. would have to put it back in to compare.

I'm confused....you always take it out to get to the goods....but didn't notice any difference on the trail or in the pow...very helpful post.

trials rider

Reaction score
i dont have a lot of rides on my xp to realy say if i prefer it removed or not.
i took it out on my rev and liked it better. i dont see what you would want a sway bar for in the mountains. and im saying i dont care how my sled performs on the trail. its the part of the day i hate and only do it because i have to so i can get get to the good terain that i like to play in. i dont like the sway bar but lots of guys i ride with leave em on its all personal preference and what youre going to use the sled for. some people i ride with do a lot of tandeming to drop each other off to do ski or board runs they seem to prefer the sway bar the other half that like to just ride the crap out of there sled like to remove the sway bar.

does this clear things up? i dont want to confuse anyone it seems easy to do

at least on the xp you can easily remove the sway bar and reinstall it if you want. my rev got the zip cut treatment.

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not right now but I could get some maybe this weekend. All you need is 2 M6 bolts about 1 1/2 " long. Cut the head of them. Drill a small hole through the bolt so you can put a little spring pin through. Then you need 4 nuts and bolt them on with the holes out towards you. Slip the connector on and off and it is held on with the pins.

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The very first thing i did on my sled was pull the sway bar. the xp chassis likes to right its self up and stay flat. pulling the sway bar ( for me ) makes it easier to lay over. as for riding trail i dont even see a need for one.
for bar setup my bars are only a few degrees forward of the post. i also have smittys drops and 10" risers.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't run a sway bar in my '04...but read lots of posts about the sway bar in the XP chassis and figured I might atleast try the quick disconnect for awhile before I took it out completely.

First ride of the season, the plastic non disconnect side broke. Ended up removing the sway bar the next day. Now I got a fancy disconnect sitting on my bench. What a waste of $60! :rant:

No more sway bars on BRP sleds for me.

The sled doesn't dart much on groomed trails and it lays over way easier with out the sway bar.

Thats my .02 cents

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried my sled with the sway bar disconnected and did not like it. I bought the 2010 sway bar and love it, plus run 45psi in my fox floats, happy with my suspension setup. It alot easier to lay over and sidehill.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will definitely lose some trail performance without the torsion bar, and unless you are 130 lbs, you should have no problem getting that machine to lay over, and stay over. I had mine disconnected for the first season, and reconnected now. I haven't blown out of any corners on the way out since...just saying!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take your sway bar out, I don't find it hard at all on the trail just have to lean a bit into turns. Mountain sleds shouldn't have swaybars anyway!

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally removed mine..I found a big difference..we do alot of ditch banging, and I find that now I can sidehill much easier..shoulda done it 2 xp's ago! As for the flats, it seems pretty stable:Snowmobile1:

SKI-D00

Reaction score
I would suggest flipping your skis and adjusting ski-stance down to 44.8 inches. It doesn’t take long, and best of all…. It’s free!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suggest flipping your skis and adjusting ski-stance down to 44.8 inches. It doesn’t take long, and best of all…. It’s free!

Flipping the skis helps pulling it over too??

SKI-D00

Reaction score
On my previous ski's, the carbide was off-centered to the outside. So by swapping them, it brings the carbide more to the inside... the result is more of a tip. It's kind of like a skate blade, if it’s dull on one edge, and you try use it, your chances of slipping will increase... same basic concept.

Maverick

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance, do I need to disconnect both sides of the sway bar to test the performance side hilling or do I only need to disconnect on one side?

thks

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've heard only one side but i took out both and will never install again..

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Removed swaybars from my 07 Summit, my 05 Summit, my 04 Summit. My 03 AC never had a sway bar. Sleds before this era were trailing arm deals....

It's likely my height (ok....and mass) but I just find no need to remove it on the XP. I haul it over easier than any other sled I've had.

I also found the xp easy to lay over COUNTERSTEERING is ur friend all!!! but I have removed it from my 07 summit and like it

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Swaybar??

On a mountain sled... What's that???

I pulled mine out rod and all on my XP BEFORE I even took it to the mountains.:beer::d

Top Bottom