Suzuki 1991 just running kinda hard.

jawehner1419

Reaction score
I have a suzuki 160 1991 and it is a tough little thing but it has started runnin pretty rough. I cleaned the carb and reinstalled it all correctly.
When i go to fire it up it turns over but doesnt fire up. When it did fire last i was having a about 1/2 throttle idle. I shut it off and was gonna adjust the carb. I went and started to adjust and figured out i was messing with the mixture screw as it died and then back fired. So i reset the screw. No it wont fire at all. When it was running before the carb got crapped up, it would normally take a min to fire up the first time but once it was warmed, didnt even have to be hot, it would restart in 2 seconds. Also it would smoke more than a 2 stroke or just as much when i first fired it up but it would clear in less than a minute.
So what could this be. Rings? Head gasket?

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More than likely it will be the rings and the cylinder coating will be worn out. new cylinder, rings, and possible piston will need to be replaced oh yes and gaskets. That is a lot of money to be put into an old quad good luck

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oil burning on start up is most likely bad valve seals. I'm guessing the pilot circuit on the carb is still blocked. You have to make sure air moves through the entire circuit in the carb body, not just the pilot jet.

Sent from my iPhone

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get someone that knows what they are doing to look at it before you take too much internet advice. Or it may end up costing you a lot of money.

Top Bottom