Survival gear

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread! Here's what I carry ish...can't remember everything.

In back pack:

• small SOL kit (see pic) View attachment 192167
  • leatherman
  • foil blanket
  • dryer lint
  • small bivy sac (see pic) View attachment 192168
  • a small handful of Wetfire (see pic) View attachment 192169
  • tampons
  • full first aid kit
  • misc parts
  • socks
  • ziploc baggies
  • compact midlayer
  • inReach
  • Garmin 650
  • BCA link radio *just got :)
  • beef jerkey
  • granola bars
  • water & gatorade
  • torch
  • flint
  • saw
  • one of those handsaw chains with the two handles , not sure the proper name

On sled:

• orange hand smoke signal (see pic) View attachment 192170
  • pencil flares & bear bangers
  • Sam splint
  • Jet boil
  • 1 x pack of de-hydrated food
  • collapsible bowl
  • handful of wetfire
  • saw
  • water
  • gatorade
  • lunch for the day
  • beef jerkey
  • tow ropes
  • larger Bivvy sack

I think that's it. Overkill?! Maybe...but it's what I choose to carry. :) I also have a feeling, should I ever have to spend the night I'd think of something else I'd want to pack.

Can I ask where you bought your emergency bivy at and how much? And the smoke flare as well...I like that idea better than just a flare at least it if you needed a chopper for a rescue it would tell the pilot the wind direction for landing.

Thanks.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can I ask where you bought your emergency bivy at and how much? And the smoke flare as well...I like that idea better than just a flare at least it if you needed a chopper for a rescue it would tell the pilot the wind direction for landing.

Thanks.

I got the Bivvy sacks at Bass pro I believe (had them for a while now). I personally like carrying a nice small one in my pack but having a larger one on the sled just in case. The orange hand smoke signal I ordered in from Bow Ridge in Cochrane. At the time I was looking I had a heck of a time finding one.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
someway to melt snow would be good idea, u can survive a few days without food, not water. small alcohol pop can stove and some gas line anti-freeze will boil water add some pine/spruce needles to make a tea. taste?? snow cave/quinze and a few tea candles will get you through the night. maybe a small tarp.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
someway to melt snow would be good idea, u can survive a few days without food, not water. small alcohol pop can stove and some gas line anti-freeze will boil water add some pine/spruce needles to make a tea. taste?? snow cave/quinze and a few tea candles will get you through the night. maybe a small tarp.
I've always counted on being able to use my muffpot to melt snow but I am going to switch to a widemouth stainless water bottle as well.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always counted on being able to use my muffpot to melt snow but I am going to switch to a widemouth stainless water bottle as well.

muffpot will work. just to get something to drink. not sure I'd even waste my time trying to start a fire, green wood and all.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's a lot tougher to start a fire than most think. You also expend a lot of energy gathering enough wood to keep it going.

i agree, not fun wading through waist high or deeper snow, breaking off green branches. then have fire melt 6 ft into snow. better alternatives out there.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
might be a good idea to try out your overnight survival kit before you actually need it, easier to make kit adjustments now!

B3ntTw1g

Reaction score
I picked up this https://snowsafety.infusionsoft.com/app/storeFront/showProductDetail?productId=926
pimg.jsp
I have not used it as I am new to mountain sledding as I only have been Valemount once and that was last weekend to do my AST 1. From my course, and from the forums here I went and spent a bunch of money on all the survival gear that people have listed above. If you can afford a sled u can afford the proper gear.

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree, not fun wading through waist high or deeper snow, breaking off green branches. then have fire melt 6 ft into snow. better alternatives out there.

gathering branches might be a lot of work but it could also be the best thing for your mind.. the whole thing about survival is your mind keeping positive and working is a great distraction... if your cold and cant sleep, go cut some wood it will warm you up and will make you tired so that you can sleep

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use something like this with as much stuff as i can pack into it along with flares etc ,etc, etc Ive spent the night and its no picnic images.jpeg

Last edited:

Rust

Reaction score
I agree that keeping a fire going keeps you moving and helps pass the time. And theres just something about a fire that seems good for the soul if you know what I mean. Maybe its just a sense of security or however you want to look at it but it helps the mind I think. But like Imdoo'n says it could be a challenge in waist deep snow.

Anyone ever had to sleep in one of those fist sized emergency bivy's? On or In snow? I have never slept outside without a sleeping bag during the winter. But I used one of those bevy once on the side of the Mtn hunting instead of building a fire. I friggn froze lol. probably in part that I had my head in side and the condisation was terrible, I was rather wet in the morning and we only spent about 5 hrs in them. At one point my teeth were chattering so loudly that my hunter asked me what that noise was hahaha. I haven't used one since. Although I do keep a decent space/emergency blanket in my pack to use as a crude shelter if things got bad, i haven't actually used it yet.

As far as what I carry sledding,

Space Blanket
Zip Fire Starter
Two Lighters
Hay Wire
Large Heavy Zip Ties
Some Rope of some sort
Extra pull cord with the clip for starting off the clutch
Leatherman
Tool Kit
Sam Spint
Roll of Electrical Tape
Spot Tracker (have thought about getting an InReach)
GPS
Extra Gloves
Dry merino wool shirt with hood
Toque
Head lamp with an extra set of batteries
Folding Stihl Saw
Snow Bungie

Will probably add a few things after reading everyone else's lists. A radio would be smart, just wish one or two of the guys I ride with would carry one too. Great ideas from everyone though.

Last edited:

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stopped at Cabela's in Calgary today and grabbed the bivvy that Rowdy has a pic of in his post...$69, it's suppose to be one that wicks the moisture away. There was one more there if you hurry...none left in the warehouse!! I also liked the idea of a whistle I read about earlier, I picked this one up for $10 there as well. image.jpg

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have never tried it, take a road flare on your next trip, built your fire like you normally would, light the flare and put it in the fire, The flare burns very very hot, i have see it light green wood on fire quickly, i agree, a fire is a safety thing, good for the rescue and good for the mind, im going to go though my bag again this weekend and compare. great ideas guys

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stopped at Cabela's in Calgary today and grabbed the bivvy that Rowdy has a pic of in his post...$69, it's suppose to be one that wicks the moisture away. There was one more there if you hurry...none left in the warehouse!! I also liked the idea of a whistle I read about earlier, I picked this one up for $10 there as well. View attachment 192242

rowdy is a she not a he!!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rowdy is a she not a he!!

lol thanks for the clarification!

This is the Jetboil I have. Fairly compact, good to heat up food, melt snow and could be used to heat up a small snow cave too.

jetboil-sumoalccup.jpg

What it looks like set up.

jetboil_sumo_cooking_system.jpg

Top Bottom