Survival gear

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The missing sledder thread got me to thinking about this so I did a quick search to see if there was a thread I could read and maybe add to it but I did not find such a thread in this forum so I'll start one.

Lets make a list of survival gear that we should be carrying with us whenever are out riding in the backcountry and maybe some suggestions on some places on our sleds where we can store some of it too. I'll start with some of the essentials and you all can add to it as you see fit.

Fire starter and tinder
Space blanket
Mtn House meal/meals
550 cord
Spork
Flares/flare gun
Headlamp

I always carry water, a saw, shovel, spare gloves and a first aid kit which is why I did not add this to my list. This stuff doesn't take up much room and could be a life saver if stuck for a few days.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty similar to what I pack. I have spare wool socks and mid layers as well. I also pack heavy Mitts for an emergency since they're warmer than gloves. Bivvy sack, saw, VHF radio.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The missing sledder thread got me to thinking about this so I did a quick search to see if there was a thread I could read and maybe add to it but I did not find such a thread in this forum so I'll start one.

Lets make a list of survival gear that we should be carrying with us whenever are out riding in the backcountry and maybe some suggestions on some places on our sleds where we can store some of it too. I'll start with some of the essentials and you all can add to it as you see fit.

Fire starter and tinder
Space blanket
Mtn House meal/meals
550 cord
Spork
Flares/flare gun
Headlamp

I always carry water, a saw, shovel, spare gloves and a first aid kit which is why I did not add this to my list. This stuff doesn't take up much room and could be a life saver if stuck for a few days.
Go with the breathable bivy sac instead of the space blanket.

Pencil flare kit is smaller than the full out gun.

Zippo or wind proof lighter.
Tampoons

30 meters of 6mm static climbing cord. 8000lb static load.
Couple 3ft slings
Couple carabineers
Micro pully

Satellite phone.
GPS.
Radio.

Pocket chainsaw.
Snow/tree saw.

Know how to dig a snow cave.
30 hr candle.

Compass.
Fox 40 rape whistle.

Backcountry first aid kit.
First aid course. With Sam splint.
Avi course.
Winter survival course.

Good flashlight and or headlamp.

Good knife.
Tools.

Burner.
Stainless steel water bottle so you can melt water or make mink Spruce tree soup.

Zip ties
Stainless steel chicken wire or a rusch block cord you don mind sacrificing.

Power bars
Beef jerky

Hand tools.

And a credit card ...

XanderKane

Reaction score
Portable stove, burning pucks, 3600 calorie bar, Multi tool, knife, dry pieces of cardboard to start a quick fire, Tylenol 3/Advil/aleeve, metal water container to boil water/soup packs/coffee/hot chocolate, ratchet strap, garmin rino 650 and mostly everything above that's already been mentioned. I make sure to double wrap everything in a waterproof sack.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Fire starter and tinder
Space blanket
Mtn House meal/meals
550 cord
Spork
Flares/flare gun
Headlamp

Do you want to spend the night or get rescued? Carry a spot or inReach or Sat phone

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you want to spend the night or get rescued? Carry a spot or inReach or Sat phone

What good are those items when the weather is crap and rescue parties can't get to you or it blocks their signals? Sometimes you have no choice but to spend the night in the back country and should that happen I want to be prepared.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the above (minimum 3 ways to light a fire though), plus a good axe, a 5x8 orange tarp, and snowshoes.

edit: and a chemical light stick, and a highway flare I need to replace now that I think of it.

BEL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All good ideas, but not too many suggestions as to where to carry it all. The important stuff should be in your backpack so it stays with you if you get separated from your sled.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All good ideas, but not too many suggestions as to where to carry it all. The important stuff should be in your backpack so it stays with you if you get separated from your sled.

Here is the problem... you can build the biggest baddest kit but it is only good if you carry it after the second ride. One must balance out luxury vs necessity. Also knowing how to use the gear is also another issue.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All usefully items for sure. I'm thinking of adding a linq tunnel bag for a few key items. The rest is in my pack. A 30 lb pack gets heavy all day. Rather have that weight on the sled.

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good post nomad..
l read about the fellow that was just lost..bad news...reminds me of a incedent l had...just got machine...so powderkeg and survival gear weren't with me yet
....spent some time outside once till my buddy backtracked and found me...was -50.... my machine was planted nose first and tail straight up in the air surrounded by the remnants of a famers clearcut burnpile and to top it of had broken my fibula right above the ankle l was to learn few mnths later...as l got my wits together managed to turn the machine off as l hadn't been teathered and it was still running...l was lucky it never fell on me!!...took 5 guys and a chainsaw to free it
Bottom line...l never ride alone anymore...l never ride without my teather attached and l never ever travel without my survival gear or sat or spot setup... but most of all don't l don't outride my skill set anymore...lessons learned...play safe ,ride safe this season folks

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carried a roll of florescent yellow survey tape. it shows up in the trees like a flash light does at night, orange works also. gps and compass also.

Last edited:

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions so far, keep them coming guys/gals. I'm going to look over my sled and see if I can find some places where I can store some gear and I'll pass on what I find.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this is a good start.

Then food , flares Etc.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a few tea light candles will keep temps up in a snow shelter, and burn for a few hours each, cheap too.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone mention hot pockets? Those little baggies you open up and get hot on their own? They heat up quick last a long time.

Work very well. Can get them at Costco by the case.

Top Bottom