Survival Gear: On sled or on person?

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pack most everything on the machine. I keep the small basic first aid kit, firestarter, food, water,batteries GPS and SPOT with me. the rest is a luxury that I could live with or without. In my pack I also carry extra dry mitts and touque to keep warm. On the sled I have the larger first aid kit, rope, ty-wraps, tools, space blankets, knife, more firestarter, more food, stove and fuel, pot(not the green stuff), snobungee and saw. I hope to never use it but you never know! Had a couple friends camp over night in Valemount last year and opens yours eyes to how easily things can go wrong.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that an amazing amount of shock is absorbed by your legs when you ride (as evidenced by how smooth most GoPro vids are) The stuff on your sled is gonna take a pounding, so make sure that it is packed properly or when you need it, it's either not gonna function or it will be full of holes etc. Anything fragile should be in your pak. On the other hand, if you have the following limited items, you could be comfy through the night.
1. Your handy dandy 80 MPH lighter
2. Space blanket (very compact
3. Saw
4. Spare gloves, sweater, maybe socks (more critical to have quality outer gear and layers to begin with)
5. Your pen flare or other signalling device.
6. Small snacks and water. (Small metal cup to melt snow in instead of extra water would weigh less)

All that stuff doesn't weigh squat, and doesn't take up a ton of room.

I just picked up some foam I am going to line my tunnel bag with and maybe even create "holders" for stuff. It's the foam out of a pelican case so you can tear it out to match shapes. Hopefully help take some of the impact out.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up some foam I am going to line my tunnel bag with and maybe even create "holders" for stuff. It's the foam out of a pelican case so you can tear it out to match shapes. Hopefully help take some of the impact out.

Honest question, what are you guys carrying that is breakable? I carry nothing that will break, because I tend to have a tendency of breaking things.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honest question, what are you guys carrying that is breakable? I carry nothing that will break, because I tend to have a tendency of breaking things.

The candle lantern I bought looks like it would break easy, I plan on packing foam around that. Umm as far as anything else goes I really don't think I have any other breakables. My buddy just has the same tunnel bag as me and said to put foam in the bottom, so I'm listening. :)

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you find the pen flares grab some bear bangers as well. I've got a box of each with me at all times. It's like friggen thunder when they go off and will carry for a long way. Maybe it's too over case to see the flares. In our avy class one person said they could hear sleds but couldn't see them. They waited till the sled stopped and then launched a banger. it got their attention and gave them a direction to head and they found them.
Lori carries ALL her gear on her back at all times. Her pack is huge! She says it funny to hear people whine when they say " my pack is too heavy" but they will be the ones whining when they get separated from their sleds and have no gear....
You have gear with you for a reason. Is it worth taking the risk of not having it on your back? Yes? Why take it then?

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you find the pen flares grab some bear bangers as well. I've got a box of each with me at all times. It's like friggen thunder when they go off and will carry for a long way. Maybe it's too over cast to see the flares. In our avy class one person said they could hear sleds but couldn't see them. They waited till the sled stopped and then launched a banger. it got their attention and gave them a direction to head and they found them.
Lori carries ALL her gear on her back at all times. Her pack is huge! She says it funny to hear people whine when they say " my pack is too heavy" but they will be the ones whining when they get separated from their sleds and have no gear....

Question with the bear bangers...wouldn't there be a danger of setting off an avalanche if the noise is that great? Never heard or seen one so I have no idea.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I added more info. They use a gun, bear banger same thing. It's the shock wave that will start the slide, not the sound. Smalls arms are not big enough to cause a shock wave.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe one should reconsider how and where they ride if they're taking such extreme chances that no one in the group is going to have any gear left if their sleds all disappear.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I added more info. They use a gun, bear banger same thing. It's the shock wave that will start the slide, not the sound. Smalls arms are not big enough to cause a shock wave.

Quote" A search of reliable websites indicates that this is not correct and it would require a large explosion to start an avalanche, and it would start, not because of the noise, but from the shockwave the explosion produces."

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe one should reconsider how and where they ride if their taking such extreme chances that no one in the group is going to have any gear left if their sleds all disappear.

Not quite sure if I understand your post. Are you saying I shouldn't carry this stuff? Or saying that I'm riding in stupid areas with stupid people because I carry survival gear? If you can please clarify. :)

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not quite sure if I understand your post. Are you saying I shouldn't carry this stuff? Or saying that I'm riding in stupid areas with stupid people because I carry survival gear? If you can please clarify. :)

By all means, carry the stuff. Just don't get caught up in the school of thought that you're screwed if it's on the sled and not your person.

The point I was making is if you're properly minimizing risks while riding, killing your back with enough gear for an arctic expedition isn't necessary.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By all means, carry the stuff. Just don't get caught up in the school of thought that you're screwed if it's on the sled and not your person.

The point I was making is if you're properly minimizing risks while riding, killing your back with enough gear for an arctic expedition isn't necessary.

Absolutely, I totally agree. Thanks for clarifying.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Example:pack your water and stuff like that on your sled, pack stuff to make water on your back.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with never having to rely on someone else in emergency situations. Fire starter packets and 2 lighters, a whistle, SPOT, cell phone and FRS radio I always carry on myself. Those are the items I feel I could get through a situation with should I be seperated from my sled. If I'm riding in areas at risk of avalanche, of course my beacon, probe amd shovel are on my back. Hopefully soon I'll be carrying one of the new "inReach" 2 way satellite communicator. It's on my Christmas wish list!!:beer:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I carry:
- first aid kit
- TP (I'm a girl so that's always on me)
- candle lantern with 9hrs burn time
- dryer lint
- flint
- head lamp
- fire starting tinder
- candles
- crazy lighter
- survival blanket
- freeze dry food
- glow sticks
- leatherman
- saw
- granola bars

Then of course beacon, probe, shovel with saw, extra goggles, gloves, sweater, food and drink for the day etc.

And as far as weight is concerned it wouldn't register on my scale so it's under 5lbs. I will split it accordingly between pack and snowmobile should I ever get separated from my sled I will be able to survive. Comfort items on sled.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353631141.950375.jpg

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I didn't bother listing sled fix stuff. But I will keep that on the sled. Along with rope etc

Top Bottom