Surface hoar factory??

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's going on up there during this cold clear cycle?? Haven't seen any mention on surface hoar formation during the last week/ ten days!! Something to keep in mind once this cold drought comes to an end!!

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's going on up there during this cold clear cycle?? Haven't seen any mention on surface hoar formation during the last week/ ten days!! Something to keep in mind once this cold drought comes to an end!!

There has been lots of wind that blows away the hoar. In thinner snowpacks I would be digging down to see if depth hoar is forming. We had a pretty wet snowpack on the coast so that is a good possibility and it probably makes the snowpack facet more easily as it is the water vapour moving up through the snow pack that drives it. Always good to be thinking about what is going on!

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of hoars around these parts....the winds kept them a lot smaller that I had expected to find. It will also be variable...gonna be a tricky one to figure out once its buried. Test before committing to something of high consequence that for sure.

Ride safe

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey looks like we are gonna get some snow tonight, how bad is the surface hoar that is gonna be buried?

Didn't get a chance to get out and look at it myself.....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not just the surface hoar that will be the concern over this week and likely for some time coming. We have a **** sandwhich of windslabs, surface hoar and facets all in the upper levels of the snowpack. Restraint will be key for the forseen future.

Hey looks like we are gonna get some snow tonight, how bad is the surface hoar that is gonna be buried?

Didn't get a chance to get out and look at it myself.....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is anyone who knows of someone that could do an avy course for 5 people we would cover any and all other costs..

let me know, THANKS!

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of hoars around these parts....the winds kept them a lot smaller that I had expected to find. It will also be variable...gonna be a tricky one to figure out once its buried. Test before committing to something of high consequence that for sure.

Ride safe
Curtis meet FastFarmer, FastFarmer meet Curtis.

kfrey

Reaction score
Just spent last week in Revy on avy ops course, digging pits. The surface hoar was there before the new snow. As was said above there will be storm and wind slabs forming now and you should use restraint.

Top Bottom