Summer Nytro Project

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well Everyone I got started on my Nytro Summer project last night. My project starts like this, The sled is a 2009 Nytro with a MCX Rear mount turbo, My plans are to install a CR Racing 162 Tunnel, Arctic Cat 162 Float rear skid, 162 Track, Trail Tank, Avid Drivers, Mountin Mod Rear seat, and Tunnel Dump exhaust.

Last night it took me about 4 hrs and I had the old tunnel and skid removed, hope to get my old drivers and track out and new track in by Monday night, I have been taking pics along the way was hoping to upload them today but can't find my cord, so I will put them up when I get the chance.

I have not figured out how I am going to mount up the rear skid yet so if you guys have any ideas that would be greatly appriceated, Also I am selling the stock seat, 153 skid, 153 track and 153 tunnel if you guys know anyone who is intrested

Talk to you all soon

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice build. I built one last summer and put a CR tunnel on it this summer. personally i wouldn't spend the money on a trail tank. fit and finish is awful. i carry a 3 gallon up the trail and never ran into fuel issues last year. T-nytro gets way better fuel economy than any 2 stroke.

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I can't upload pics, does anyone know why I would get this message when trying

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't help you with the pics, sorry.

The CR tunnel will make it easier to move things around, I would also talk to Chad at CR and see what he says, since he will probably have a good idea on where it should be mounted.

if you are trying to put it close to stock - one easy rule to keep the skids close to the same location (if that's what you are shooting for). I would say put your two rear skids side by side and measure the height of the front and rear arms and the difference between the two, then try and keep the new skid as close to the original skid dimensions as possible (when mounted in the tunnel) i.e. if the AC skid is 1" higher on the front arm then you might have to mount it 1" higher in the tunnel to keep the bottom of the rails roughly about where they were at the stock location (for approach angle off the drivers). Now you may not be able to mount it higher due to clearance on the top of the tunnel, this is just an example. If the AC skid is 1" lower on the front arm then you will have to lower it 1" below the original mounting location. This would be if you are shooting for similar to stock suspension location characteristics, obviously. Once you've got the front arm, the arm location will be set for the rear - you just have to figure out how much ski pressure you want for the rear mounts i.e how much drop you want (again, probably close to stock location and then adjust the transfer with the skid itself) but I don't know on the Nytro's if they like more pressure or less. Might be worth getting some drop brackets with multiple positions to try out some different locations (not that your skis are going to be on the ground much :D but it will affect the front of the track angle as well when climbing).

As stated, Chad will probably be able to help you out with these locations in the CR tunnel.

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't help you with the pics, sorry.

The CR tunnel will make it easier to move things around, I would also talk to Chad at CR and see what he says, since he will probably have a good idea on where it should be mounted.

if you are trying to put it close to stock - one easy rule to keep the skids close to the same location (if that's what you are shooting for). I would say put your two rear skids side by side and measure the height of the front and rear arms and the difference between the two, then try and keep the new skid as close to the original skid dimensions as possible (when mounted in the tunnel) i.e. if the AC skid is 1" higher on the front arm then you might have to mount it 1" higher in the tunnel to keep the bottom of the rails roughly about where they were at the stock location (for approach angle off the drivers). Now you may not be able to mount it higher due to clearance on the top of the tunnel, this is just an example. If the AC skid is 1" lower on the front arm then you will have to lower it 1" below the original mounting location. This would be if you are shooting for similar to stock suspension location characteristics, obviously. Once you've got the front arm, the arm location will be set for the rear - you just have to figure out how much ski pressure you want for the rear mounts i.e how much drop you want (again, probably close to stock location and then adjust the transfer with the skid itself) but I don't know on the Nytro's if they like more pressure or less. Might be worth getting some drop brackets with multiple positions to try out some different locations (not that your skis are going to be on the ground much :D but it will affect the front of the track angle as well when climbing).

As stated, Chad will probably be able to help you out with these locations in the CR tunnel.

Yeah I have been talking to Chad quite a bit and he has been a big help. I also have been talking to M5 he has installed 2 of these skids in his own Nytros and a couple others so he has been a great help also.I really appriciete the fact that people are so willing to take the time and offer there knowlage. This project has actually been going really well so far i have only got mad a swore a couple times. I now have the drivers out and taking them to get the new drivers pressed on today and hopefully install them tonight or tommorrow. I have the new Tunnel installed and in the process of transfering everything I need of the stock Tunnel. (Fuel tank mount points, Turbo Mounting braket, exhaust hanger, SLP Tail Light and Yamaha snow flap). Then I will be waiting for my skid parts to come in from the Powder Coaters. I took my panels in to get some Air Brushing on them and the guy want $3500.00 what are you guys seeing for priceing for air brushing ?

Well hopefully I can get this pic thing resolved and upload some pics
talk to you all later and thanks for the input

j_w10

Reaction score
try to upload less pictures in one go. i get that same message when i try to uplaod 3-5 pics at a time. just do 1 or 2 at once should work.

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some Pics thanks for the tip of only loading a couple at a time Worked well

Attachments

• Sled Rebuild 001.jpg
    Sled Rebuild 001.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 304
  • Sled Rebuild 002.jpg
    Sled Rebuild 002.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 303
  • Sled Rebuild 004.jpg
    Sled Rebuild 004.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 304
  • Sled Rebuild 005.jpg
    Sled Rebuild 005.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 307
  • Sled Rebuild 006.jpg
    Sled Rebuild 006.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 307
  • Sled Rebuild 008.jpg
    Sled Rebuild 008.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 298
  • Sled Rebuild 007.jpg
    Sled Rebuild 007.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 296

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here are the pics of everything going back together, going quite well, Although I have a few questions

For a CR Tunnel Dump do I have to trim my tunnel a bit
With the CR Tunnel kit I got a Cooler delete plate to remove the front cooler, by doing this is there enough cooling with just he CR Tunnel coolers ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Sled Rebuild 009.jpg
    Sled Rebuild 009.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 294
  • Sled Rebuild 010.jpg
    Sled Rebuild 010.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 295
  • Sled Rebuild 011.jpg
    Sled Rebuild 011.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 293
  • Tunnel Going on 003.jpg
    Tunnel Going on 003.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 301
  • Tunnel Going on 002.jpg
    Tunnel Going on 002.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Tunnel Going on 001.jpg
    Tunnel Going on 001.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 290

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks sharp fitz!!! Tunnel looks amazing.

Sorry, don't know about the tunnel trimming.

Cooling, hard to say, if you mainly ride powder then I would say likely not an issue? but if there is lots of hardpack in your future you might want to keep the front cooler - PM rknight, tabneil, NM, Climbmax, etc, they might be able to help. NM has a pretty stout Nytro and I would think he would be able to tell you.

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to Chad today he told me the peice I thought was for removing the front cooler was actually a skid plate for my Turbo to keep the snow off it, so my bad, don't need to remove the front cooler, and I do have to trim the tunnel a bit inorder to get the Tunnel Dump in:eek: I hate drilling my new tunnel let alone cutting it, but what heck I guess.

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks sharp fitz!!! Tunnel looks amazing.

Sorry, don't know about the tunnel trimming.

Cooling, hard to say, if you mainly ride powder then I would say likely not an issue? but if there is lots of hardpack in your future you might want to keep the front cooler - PM rknight, tabneil, NM, Climbmax, etc, they might be able to help. NM has a pretty stout Nytro and I would think he would be able to tell you.

Thanks Modman, I was not sure about the tunnel at first I wanted Black with polished extrusions, but this was the right price and its really growing on me.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the start of a really sharp looking sled, that blue reminds me of the old corvette blue.

Measure twice cut once ... better yet measure twice one day then come back and recheck the next day ,... then cut once.

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the tunnel that used to hang at Wct Yamaha. If you're refering to the top bolt notch for the dump pipe you don't need to remove much. I did mine with a die grinder.
The other thing you might want to consider is changing out your header while you have it tore down. (All) the stock ones crack beyond repair, it's just a matter of when. Usually somewhere inconvenient.:mad: The other thing you should have a close look at is the exhaust expansion joints. I also found a broken one of those leaking.
I bought a header from Alpine Motorsports and it is a nice piece. Bigger diameter tubing, thicker wall and ceramic coated. paid 650.00 and got it 2 days later.
Looking forward to seeing more pics of the progress on you're project.

Regards,
Wizzy

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Not much progress in the last couple days due to BVJ and holiday hope to get back at it in the next little while I still have to install the New Drivers, skid, mountain Mod seat(which by the way I recived just befor leaving to BVJ what a sweet seat), then I am done, for a little while anyways. The tunnel is the one that was at Whitecourt Yamaha,

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys things have kinda stalled out waiting for parts, and busy with summer living I have got a bit done though, the tunnel is on, filled with coolent again sled has been running, New drivers are installed, track is in, new Mountain Mod seat is on hoping to install skid in the next day or two

Here is a up to date pic, sled needs to be washed still lots of dust on it

Attachments

• Tunnel on waiting for skid 1.jpg
    Tunnel on waiting for skid 1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Tunnel on waiting for skid 2.jpg
    Tunnel on waiting for skid 2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 205

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys/girls the sled is complete, I started it and drove it around the yard a bit I have a couple things I have to look at, 1 being the inside of the right wheel on the anti stab kit is rubbing, which is causing a clicking noise, and I think I have air in my Coolant system because it was getting hot, but the coolers on the tunnel were still cool to touch, but any way here are a few pics of the completed sled

Attachments

• Finished Nytro 001.jpg
    Finished Nytro 001.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Finished Nytro 003.jpg
    Finished Nytro 003.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 202
  • Finished Nytro 005.jpg
    Finished Nytro 005.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Finished Nytro 004.jpg
    Finished Nytro 004.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Finished Nytro 006.jpg
    Finished Nytro 006.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Finished Nytro 007.jpg
    Finished Nytro 007.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Finished Nytro 008.jpg
    Finished Nytro 008.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 205

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys/girls the sled is complete, I started it and drove it around the yard a bit I have a couple things I have to look at, 1 being the inside of the right wheel on the anti stab kit is rubbing, which is causing a clicking noise, and I think I have air in my Coolant system because it was getting hot, but the coolers on the tunnel were still cool to touch, but any way here are a few pics of the completed sled

Looks awesome fitz!!!! You did a wicked job!

I would have to agree, I think you've got an airlock in the cooling system. Either that or the t-stat is stuck closed, but likely an air lock. Park the sled on the ramp into the back of the truck so that the coolers are the lowest point and leave it like that for a little bit, it should help and you should have to add more coolant. If not, start it up and it should circulate the air out if it doesn't bubble out on its own.

Since you've got the blue theme going on, one thing you might want to check out is BR tech's Nytro hood. I think it looks sweet and with your blue tunnel I think it would add a nice accent to the sled.

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks good man!!! I haven't seen the big green ba$tard since you got it either! I like it!! I like the bent bars too! :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom