Suggestions on Helmet Camera

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm not very knowledgeable on helmet cameras as I've been using I think a Hero2... I'm wanting to buy a new one for sledding and for my son to use snowboarding. I was on amazon and there seems to be a lot of less expensive cameras than the Hero8 or 7. That being said there is good pricing on these AKASO.... Are they any good or what recommendations does anyone have...thanks

AKASO V50X Native 4K30fps 20MP WiFi Action Camera with EIS Touch Screen, 4X Zoom, 131 feet Waterproof

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can find one I recommend the GoPro Session. I have one and have it mounted under the visor. Gives you the best view in my opinion, closest to what the rider would see. And I don't notice it any in my field of vision.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can find one I recommend the GoPro Session. I have one and have it mounted under the visor. Gives you the best view in my opinion, closest to what the rider would see. And I don't notice it any in my field of vision.

Thanks I will have a look at them...

Cubby

Reaction score
I use a Sony HDR A50. Picked it up last year for under $150. Great video, does 1080p @ 60 fps and the batteries last 2 hrs in the cold. Plus its a nicer form factor on the side of the helmet.

The main issue with the GoPro session is the battery is built in and non-replaceable. So when you are out of juice you can't sway out the battery for a fresh one.

Here is a screen shot from a Sony video last year.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2020-02-17-16h09m14s370.jpg
    vlcsnap-2020-02-17-16h09m14s370.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 167
  • vlcsnap-2020-02-17-15h45m05s190.jpg
    vlcsnap-2020-02-17-15h45m05s190.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 166

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Session 4 and its simple and tiny in comparison to most.

The new stuff has much better betteries and cold resistance... I want a Hero9

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you need the viewing screen the hero8 is just as good for what 99% of will use the camera for. If you are wanting a newer camera then I would go with the hero8 (save some $$$) and just get the GoPro app on your phone to view any videos in the field.

My Session 5 battery seems to last pretty decent, I just store it in a warm location on the sled when not in use.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I went through a few different options over the years and it comes down to how you use it and the video you expect to get. I have found short clips on my phone are easiest to post or view/keep as my goal is not to need to do editing.

I recently built this. It cost me $13 and it is 2 imported aluminum handlebar phone mounts attached to an old aluminum shovel handle that I riveted together. I painted it after this picture so it looks finished now. I also tether my phone just in case. I can view 2/3 of the screen while riding so can make sure what I want is in field of view. It is easy to start/stop the video as the Iphone screen button is visible too. I recently used it on my dirt bike and it worked great. I know it is not possibly what you are looking for but figured others might find it useful.

Attachments

• Phone holder.jpg
    Phone holder.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 127

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I went through a few different options over the years and it comes down to how you use it and the video you expect to get. I have found short clips on my phone are easiest to post or view/keep as my goal is not to need to do editing.

I recently built this. It cost me $13 and it is 2 imported aluminum handlebar phone mounts attached to an old aluminum shovel handle that I riveted together. I painted it after this picture so it looks finished now. I also tether my phone just in case. I can view 2/3 of the screen while riding so can make sure what I want is in field of view. It is easy to start/stop the video as the Iphone screen button is visible too. I recently used it on my dirt bike and it worked great. I know it is not possibly what you are looking for but figured others might find it useful.

Dear god if I had that it would be in my eye socket with my luck

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it better to keep things simple. I still use the original Go-Pro Hero stuck on top of helmet. No idea how old it is, however still takes great vids, but it is a simple, no-frills camera 720/1080p. I have it setup for a one touch on/off. Only thing is I can't watch anything till hooked up to computer. As for battery life, it's used on/off all day, never recharged during a 2 day trip, and have never run out of battery. Probably cause it don't have an external screen.
FWIW, it's also seen 120' depth when scuba diving.

Top Bottom