Any too avoid...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've read all the reviews, been through all the threads and am left with one question.....

Should any of the big 3 (drift, contour, GoPro) and thier models be avoided????

I want to get a camera but I'm cheap and realistically I don't need the latest and greatest, just functional and user friendly....

Some points that stick out

GoPro 2 - good quality, durable, waterproof, small & most accessories BUT no LCD screen, not user friendly
Drift 170HD - LCD display, 170 degree swivel, durable, best battery life BUT bad wind noise, too big, doesn't like the wet
Contour HD - Seems to be the best all round but is the most expensive & hard to find used.

I will only use this thing a half dozen times a year and if I'm not willing to spend $400 on a new beacon yet befawked if I'm going to drop $400 on a toy....

what are your experiences????

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read all the reviews, been through all the threads and am left with one question.....

Should any of the big 3 (drift, contour, GoPro) and thier models be avoided????

I want to get a camera but I'm cheap and realistically I don't need the latest and greatest, just functional and user friendly....

GoPro 2 - good quality, durable, waterproof, small & most accessories BUT no LCD screen, not user friendly
Drift 170HD - LCD display, 170 degree swivel, durable, best battery life BUT bad wind noise, too big, doesn't like the wet
Contour HD - Seems to be the best all round but is the most expensive & hard to find used.

I will only use this thing a half dozen times a year and if I'm not willing to spend $400 on a new beacon yet befawked if I'm going to drop $400 on a toy....

what are your experiences????

I have the Drift HD170 and have found if you turn the volume down the wind noise is not as loud but it still picks up the voices. What wet issues?? Mine has been dripping all day with no issues.

The lcd display sold me as i like to move it around and if you can't see what it is pointed at you get a lot of dash or visor footage. lol

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've found multiple reviews that complain that the drift is only water proof to 1m which is the equivilent of simply water resistant and wet environments could cause issues.

if the claims are false that thats great because I'm leaning to the drift 170 HD

I have the Drift HD170 and have found if you turn the volume down the wind noise is not as loud but it still picks up the voices. What wet issues?? Mine has been dripping all day with no issues.

The lcd display sold me as i like to move it around and if you can't see what it is pointed at you get a lot of dash or visor footage. lol

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can use the helmet cam around here too you only need a beacon when you are in the mountains. I think mine was in the $300 neighborhood.

Ive even mounted it in a tree to film the camp fire hooligans and fireworks shows... ya know just in case something cool happens.:rolleyes:

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've found multiple reviews that complain that the drift is only water proof to 1m which is the equivilent of simply water resistant and wet environments could cause issues.

if the claims are false that thats great because I'm leaning to the drift 170 HD

Mine has been fine for wet but i have never submerged it in water, not sure why you would??

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I like the drift cams too. but I figured I'd wait for someone else to post it first...lol. I've had mine covered in mud so bad that I had to wash it in the sink, and like toyboy says, just turn the mic down if the wind noise is excessive. as for the "too big" complaint, the newer HD 170 is no bigger than a go pro but with many different mounting options.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I really like Drift Ghost, and the reviews on it put it neck & neck with the GoPro 3 Black.... but it's not budging from $449 right now...

I like the drift cams too. but I figured I'd wait for someone else to post it first...lol. I've had mine covered in mud so bad that I had to wash it in the sink, and like toyboy says, just turn the mic down if the wind noise is excessive. as for the "too big" complaint, the newer HD 170 is no bigger than a go pro but with many different mounting options.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've submerged my sled, quad, truck & Boat..... it is not unreasonable to suspect I may submerge my camera....lol

Mine has been fine for wet but i have never submerged it in water, not sure why you would??

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like Drift Ghost, and the reviews on it put it neck & neck with the GoPro 3 Black.... but it's not budging from $449 right now...
the newer HD 170 is different than the ghost, same size but smaller screen. the older HD 170 is a tad longer. I have the ghost too, it's awesome....the gopro has a bit higher resolution tho.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've submerged my sled, quad, truck & Boat..... it is not unreasonable to suspect I may submerge my camera....lol

Lmao!! ive gone swimming with my quad too but i never had the cam on when i did. Something to think about this year with the with the XTP/XMR im building. lol

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both the Contour and Drift. The Drift has far superior video quality over the Contour. The Contour has a far superior mounting system over the Drift. Actually that's the only thing I like better about the Contour. No problems with my Drift in the water. Had to buy a waterproof housing for the Contour to use it on the Seadoo.

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Contour GPS model with the bluetooth connectivity card. The GPS part is cool, shows the information with the movie when you play it with the contour software(which is excellent) The GPS info is laid over google maps, shows your land speed, elevation changes on a linear graph and path over the map. The bluetooth card allows me connect my iphone(with free app) and it shows where my camera is pointed, start recording if I wanted and allows me to change settings of the recordings. The only complaint would be one of my two batteries dies super fast, beyond that I love it, the mounting system is amazing, it would take alot to get it to fall off.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Sara has the drift, and really likes it. She's got the waterproof housing for it for ATV season but I don't know that she has ever used it. The quality of video is good, and the ability to rotate the lense for different mounting points is fantastic. Everyone is going to like certain brands. I'm sure we could arrange for you to try our drift out if you wanted to Booger.

Also here's an option for you:

http://dx.com/c/cameras-photo-video-1599/sport-cameras-1526

Those are contours/drifts etc, just not the brand name.....

Last edited:

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a RePlay HD it is nice and small and works awesome, just no screen. I only use it once and awhile as I hate editing video! But like to have it for those days, you know what I mean? I am no Treadway so no need to film it all, haha. Good luck it is another fun toy.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We have theGoPro HD Hero, Luv the quality, have it under water to 90' (needs extra lightat that depth) also have the LCD acc screen, which has made it much easier touse.

The controls are awkward but just take getting used to....

Still haven’t found any cheap, easy to use software to edit HD video yet....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I picked up a used Drift Innovation HD170 1080P tonight on the cheap... the kid discovered he liked smoking pot more than snowboarding and figured pot smoking videos would be boring....

Gonna go find some snow tomorrow and give it a try....

Top Bottom