Studded winter tire question

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright gents,

Been offered a nice set of winter tires for my F350. Two are studded, two are not. All four tires are the same type. Can I/should I run the two studded in rear, the two non studded in front?

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright gents,

Been offered a nice set of winter tires for my F350. Two are studded, two are not. All four tires are the same type. Can I/should I run the two studded in rear, the two non studded in front?

I'd honestly run the studded ones for the steer tires. You're not gunna get yourself out of a ditch with the studded on the rears, but you might avoid the ditch with them on the front.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I disagree... Run them on the front if its a front wheel drive vehicle, but a 4wd vehicle I would install them on the rear, to prevent the rear from braking loose when braking and causing loss of control

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've studded used tires before, it takes about two cases of beer to get all the gravel out of the stud pockets.
But that's u doing it

No tire shop will trust a guy that comes in, as if there is a rock or dirt it fawks the stud gun...

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
And can only be done on newer tires, or the studs will be sticking out too far(if the tire is worn down), and become bullets, causing damage to others or to your own vehicle... Also, too old a tire, and the rubber may become brittle and when the stud is installed, it may not seat &/or split the rubber.... An insurance company would love to see this ;)

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the input

So there in lies my problem. Two are studded and really shouldn't stud the other two. So if I want to run them, where do the studded ones go. Rear for traction? Front for braking? I too thought that if they were on the front, the rear might swing out, but then again, this setup would be better than the 4 all terrains currently on the truck. I also figured run them on rear since the front of the truck has the weight of the diesel, and all that diesel torque calls for more rear traction.

Or maybe I am completely out to lunch on all accounts.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the input

So there in lies my problem. Two are studded and really shouldn't stud the other two. So if I want to run them, where do the studded ones go. Rear for traction? Front for braking? I too thought that if they were on the front, the rear might swing out, but then again, this setup would be better than the 4 all terrains currently on the truck. I also figured run them on rear since the front of the truck has the weight of the diesel, and all that diesel torque calls for more rear traction.

Or maybe I am completely out to lunch on all accounts.

Sounds like time to do some practical testing!

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pop the studs out, then you have 4 the same. Or do trial and error to see where you like. It's like riding your sled on icy surfaces with carbide and non studded track. Or studded track and no carbide. Run both, huge difference.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
On front wheel drives we have installed the customer supplied studded tires on the front, and non-studded on the rear..... If it was my 4x4, I would put the studded tires on the rear... Front tires have enough weight that it shouldn't be a problem. This would prevent the rear from breaking loose, as the studded tires would be on the rear. Would help the abs system for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fountaintirexp

Reaction score
Website
www.fountaintire.com
Put them on the rear . If you put them on the front when you brake on ice the truck will become unstable and swing around on you. Go to the government of Canada website about winter tires if you want to see a video of this exact scenario.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not to highjack you here ZRrrr but are studded tires worth it? I think tire shop here was 30 or 40 bucks a tire.

Since the definitive answer has been given (fountaintirexp) I don't mind adding to the hi-jack. They are absolutely worth it! There is no comparison on black ice and those funny temps around the zero mark.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We run studded on the wifes Honda and on my 1500HD.... They sure are nice, we were coming back from Bonnyville last year during a freezing rain storm, cars & trucks were ditched everywhere yet even pulling a 20' trailer I had complete control.

Wifes Hakkapalitta 8's studded were under $1000 installed and Nokian will warranty all their tires no questions asked.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We run studded on the wifes Honda and on my 1500HD.... They sure are nice, we were coming back from Bonnyville last year during a freezing rain storm, cars & trucks were ditched everywhere yet even pulling a 20' trailer I had complete control.

Wifes Hakkapalitta 8's studded were under $1000 installed and Nokian will warranty all their tires no questions asked.

If the wife needs a real stud give me a call bog's

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have done Dura Tracs studded, Toyo Studless and I am back to Hakapelita LT2 studded this year. I was concerned about having 8 ply tires vs. 10 ply, but the control and grip and performance, I decided to put them back on.
Studded is totally worth it. I have 285/70 R17 on my Dodge 2500. I think these are the biggest tires I can put on without a lift.

Top Bottom