Stuck between a CanAm 650 and Grizz 700

rayf01

Reaction score
Totally on the fence. Looking to upgrade from an 1988 Yamaha 350 Moto4 that is still running pretty strong. Its been throw a lot, virtually zero breakdowns.

Looking to ride casual, for hunting, and some fun riding bit of mud etc. Typically wont be going crazy, just a couple buddies, go ride through some mud holes. I try not to try my equipment too hard. I most likley eventually buy a set of tires for and a snorkel kit. The kit makes me feel a little safer.

Considering the Grizzly because its a Yamaha and theres that little voice in the back of my head that says they've been around for a long time and can stand up, durability etc. Still has ample power, not sure about the suspension.

Considering the Outlander soley on hoots and hollars from everyone I hear who has a Can-Am. considerably more power, the 650 puts out 15 more HP than the 700 Grizz I think. Warranty is a bit better with the Outlander as well. My main concerns with the outlander is durability, and along with that the "Weak Frame" situation I keep hearing about. I am however, not sure how wide spread this phenomenon is, or what people are doing to cause it. So I am not sure if I should worry really... I know you can do a frame mod, cousin did one to his renegade 800, but not sure if i really want to start spending money on trying to stiffen a brand new quad...

Thoughts?

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are just casually riding go grizzly.

If you are going to do some fast trails and big mud go can-am.

Grizzlys are tough and reliable
Outlanders are fast and powerful.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride 'em both....you'll get the Can Am. Frame issue is a non-issue if you put skid plates on it. The problems occur when rock basher-types get a dent in the spar frame...this creates a weak point. I've had my 07 since new in mid 06....under water and mucked up every weekend with NO frame issues and the least repairs/maintenance I've ever had on any quad.....and I've had lots.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a 700 grizz and the wife has a 650 can am...i ride both ..i prefer the grizz cuz of the power steering but the outty is way faster..brp has better warranty and sounds quite cool too..my next quad will be a 800 outty with the power steering..jmo

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both great quads. I enjoy the power and ride of my can am but I did swamp it once and cost me a new motor. If your going to snorkel it anyways I would go with a can am and run skid plates and you will have no problems. Power steering is an amazing option on a quad and don't think I could buy another without it. Either way you will be a lot happier with it over the old moto 4 my dad had one of those when I was growing up they are tough machines like my old grizzly 600.

rayf01

Reaction score
The only thing that is holding me back on the CanAm purchase is the fear of the damn frame. Going in today I think to purchase either or, just need to make a decision. Really bothers me I have to cut a new quad to stiffen it up, but if I did, how hard is the frame mod to do yourself, or should someone do it? I have heard there are two, the steel mod and the UHFM, but the UHFM flexs more and most say its not the best way to go.

Other question is, BRP put that small re-inforcment piece in the front end of the frame on the 2011, I have heard the steel mod doesnt work now because that small piece is in there?

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned 3 new canam quads since 07 and have rode them hard and never had a problem with the frame. If that is all that is holding u back from a canam I would not worry about it. They are great quads and have a good warranty:)

rayf01

Reaction score
Thanks then. Do you do mud riding and so forth? Issue is, with the 2011 having some factory support, I dont think a addon frame mod would do much unless you remove the existing which looks like it would be very tough to do.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read my post up higher....put skids on it and don't worry about it.

rebarfever

Reaction score
I have both 700 griz and 800 outlander. Both great machines but I did bend the frame on the outlander therfore I pick up a new griz next week and throw the outlander aside. My prefrence is grizzley for the comfort and it has enough power. Granted if you feel the need for speed it's outlander all the way.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both 700 griz and 800 outlander. Both great machines but I did bend the frame on the outlander therfore I pick up a new griz next week and throw the outlander aside. My prefrence is grizzley for the comfort and it has enough power. Granted if you feel the need for speed it's outlander all the way.
...yer so right..lol

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep the first quad I rode was an old moto4, not so reliable that one though.....was rode hard and put away wet a few times....hahahahaha
When the day comes that my trusty old 99 AC 500 finally bites the dust, I will be looking for a can am 500 or 650 to replace it with. In my opinion, after doing research and riding with a bunch of people this past summer, can ams are damned hard to beat. I ride pretty slow and tame, I avoid the big mud holes, am NOT concerned at all with the frame issue. As DaveB has mentioned put a skid plate on it and letr buck!! But whatever you decide have fun and be safe!!

Last edited:

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i to own both machines except the 800 outty my advise is if buying new go can am if buying a couple yrs old grizz 700 with eps all the way once you have ridden eps you wont go without it again the grizz have had eps since 07 and the can am since 10 the eps on the grizz is night and day to one without but the can am eps is that much better yet also find the outty alot more stable machine the grizz was always pretty light in the front where as the outty seems to stay planted alot better but will raise the front wheels for a performance without a second thought if u so disire

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride both and you'll pick. as far as the frame mod goes, all you need is a grinder, some lube, a couple taps from a slegde hammer and your good to go. but i rode hard on skid plates only this summer and i have no problems so...

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave and these guys are right... i had an 07 and no frame mod but had skids.. 4500km without frame mod, just skids no problems and i ride very hard... then i did frame mod after 4500 k and still no damage with skids.. frame mod helps but if your not riding the bike hard, the skids will be totally fine..

just to let you know.. i have an 10 Xxc now and have frame mod and skids and other reinforcing done.. i hit a cattle guard and bent my frame 1/4 inch.. anyways so all the mods in the world and you can still bend a frame.. other machines have no better frames anyways.. it all depends what you hit and how hard.. you will bend the can-am as easy as any other bike out there.. just hit something the right way and its done... don't make a decison on the frame issue.. its over stated imo.. just from the power along and the handling its a no brainer for me what i would pick..

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and the new frames are beefed up compared to the older ones.

Top Bottom