Strathcona County

Catgirl

Reaction score
The squeaky wheel gets the grease!! The only people that they have heard from in the past is the complainers. As usual a few ---- are ruining snowmobiling for the rest of us. I belong to the Tri-County Snowmobile Club and am heading a committee to amend the Strathcona County Bylaw to allow a corridor from the Ministik Trail system north on Range Road 214 to Cooking Lake. Future endeavors to link Cooking Lake to Hastings Lake and to link 214 corridor to the Fort Sask Trail System.

We had an public meeting in October and had over 100 people attend. All but 4 raised their hands in support of the corridor. The easiest way for us to obtain the amendment is for a Councillor to champion the issue for us. We are working on finding that Councillor now. All snowmobilers in the County of Strathcona should be contacting their Councillor in support of the corridor and asking them to support it as well.
We have to overcome the negativity that the complainers have put onto our sport. They are concerned about speed and noise. If the corridor is approved we would sign it with stop signs at every driveway and a speed limit of 50 km/hr. Tri-County would groom the corridor. If anyone has any thoughts on other things we can do to help convince the people living along 214, to at least give the corridor a try, would be greatly appreciated.

In defence of the RCMP, because of the complaints the County / RCMP have received regarding both Quads and snowmobiles, the County is paying for the RCMP Member and the Bylaw Officer to enforce the County's Bylaws as well as the TSA. Last year they were giving warnings and informing people who may not have been aware of the Bylaw, but this year they have been told to crack down and issue tickets. They may not agree with the Bylaw (it's almost impossible to enforce) but they have a job to do.

Later,

Tracy

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: RXN

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Catgirl... GREAT POST!!! Love to see people fighting for our cause!! I live on RR 214 , 1 mile north of South Cooking Lake. I would love nothing more than to see a corridor linking Ministik - Cooking Lake - Fort Sask / Bruderhiem trail systems... This would be a Huge benefit to all Strathcona County snowmobilers.

However. the ditches on 214 between twp 520 (bordering south cooking lake on the north side) and Highway 16 are pretty narrow? Could Tri-County groom the ditches on this propossed corridor?

PS... I could help out with all the signage as I am in the sign industry... I own Signtex... we produce all sorts of signage including small aluminum traffic signs. I run my bussiness out of our acreage on rr 214. Call me at 922-2546 if I could be of help? We also screen print an endless varriety of apparel including t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies... which could be a potential tool in fund raising for this cause??? Just trying to help the cause. (I know... sounds like a bad sales pitch???... sorry). :confused:

Strathcona County families that like to enjoy the outdoors on their snowmobiles would all benifit from the "Corridor" that is propossed in this post. Hope it can happen?

Attachments

• 2006_11140126.jpg
    2006_11140126.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 658
  • Thanks

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Emailed our Councillor Jason Gariepy on this a couple of days ago. Told him I want feedback on whta he will be doing to address the problem. Will keep you posted.

• Thanks

Everythingoffroad

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently bought an acreage on RR210 in stratchona. Has there been any progress regarding snomobiling in the area? I also moved out to the country residential area to enjoy country living, outright total enforcement against snomobiling is obsurd. I would love to join any movement to help make our voice and plea heard and more powerful. Are there any advances in our rights since these threads have started?

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many years have sledders and orgs been fighting the county? 30-40 yrs?? It just seems to be falling on deaf ears, with sleds getting bigger and faster, and people thinking that louder aftermarket pipes make things better, its just gonna get harder... years ago it was difficult to hear sleds go by, but now you can hear them from miles away.
I dont know whats more difficult, convincing the county on a trail system, or changing the attitude of some sledders that refuse to respect our fellow neighbors

Sorry if this sounds rude, I'm just as frustrated with the county as the next sledder....

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tri-County has been in nogitiations with the county of Strathcona since 2007 regarding this Access Corridor

BUT it takes the local residents calling there councillors to get any action done

Remember that the county only listens and cares about is its residents -- not some riders from Edmonton that want to ride through their county -- so as a resident YOU need to call your councillor and tell them your Frustration in not being able to ride in YOU OWN COUNTY....

Tell all your local resident to do the same and CALL...

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get squeaky with your councolior to start with he or she needs to know NOW

About 8 years ago I used to email back and forth every week with one strathcona councillor, can't remember his name. He was anti snowmobile. I think I got to him, my emails stopped being answered and my phone must have been blocked. So don't get to squeaky. I'll try and remember his name. I invited him riding, gave every good point I could think of, but he stayed set in his mind.
His last reply to me was that 1) we are a distraction to traffic. Well so are bicyclists, horse back riders and other traffic.
2) we littler the ditches with garbage. Cause only sledders drink Tim Hortons and eat at McDonald's then dump the trash as they ride.
3) we are responsible for the deterioration of ditch edges, I always thought that was caused by grader blades draging 3ft in the ditch

I didn't like his replies and he didn't like mine. Eventually he quit replying to me. and I never looked for any other contacts in council.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good to see this brought up to the top. Like has been mentioned we need to contact our councillor. Tell them that we need some action on designated trails in the county that we live in.

Trespassing and noise are the 2 biggest factors . When that changes rules might also

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought. They could add a bylaw stating that only factory exhaust would be allowed on the corridor or trail system. Ontario has been doing it for years, we get pulled over on my dad's stock 02 xc sp 700 for being too loud... The embossed Polaris gets us off every time. It's a $250 per time cash cow. I agree with this law as a groomed trail runs across the family farm and the trees block the noise BUT a sled with pipes we hear for miles from the house... speed limits help this greatly as well, Ontario has 50km/h limits all over which many people ignore and choose to pay the speeding tickets.

Speaking of which, my sled came with a stinger can (possibly even has a pipe?) and I have yet to look for a stock one, which if anyone has one i'd be interesting in purchasing.. I find my sled too loud! (and i'm not even 30 yet?)

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how many people here have large parcels of land in the county? Is there a way of getting all together and perhaps make a "private" trail" sort to speak? I have 20 acres on 222 and 520 and my neighbor has 100 acres of trees which i am planning on making trails thru, and behind them is more wide open pasture all the way to cooking lake. other friends of mine have 1/4 sections north of me, all we need to do is get more people in between to let us open the gates and we could stretch our saturday fun rides a bit larger

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got 40 acres on 224 and 521 with an awesome trail system for the size. Didnt take long for my neighbour to have the county boys over checking out the property. Built a motocross track the next summer in protest.:cool: All my neighbours were aok with all of it as long as we didnt ride late or early morning but all it takes is one resident with nothing better to do than bitch to cause a **** storm.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got 40 acres on 224 and 521 with an awesome trail system for the size. Didnt take long for my neighbour to have the county boys over checking out the property. Built a motocross track the next summer in protest.:cool: All my neighbours were aok with all of it as long as we didnt ride late or early morning but all it takes is one resident with nothing better to do than bitch to cause a **** storm.

Its a start get a map and we can try on connect the land. Great Idea guys

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
how many people here have large parcels of land in the county? Is there a way of getting all together and perhaps make a "private" trail" sort to speak? I have 20 acres on 222 and 520 and my neighbor has 100 acres of trees which i am planning on making trails thru, and behind them is more wide open pasture all the way to cooking lake. other friends of mine have 1/4 sections north of me, all we need to do is get more people in between to let us open the gates and we could stretch our saturday fun rides a bit larger

Connect the land get a map and mark them down and we can see where it goes. Good idea

lman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are area's of the Alberta Beach system that crosses private land. All we need to do as a group is continue to respect their land!

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Ontario trail system wouldn't exist without private land use agreements and riders respecting private property and not tearing up their fields... Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just south of hwy16 on 220 but only have 3.5ac so nothing to offer other than help if required. With all this new snow i may have no choice but to test the waters with the county mounties tomorrow

Top Bottom