Strapping down your toys

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I heard that winches are not designed to be used as tie-downs as most only have a plastic gear inside. That gear may have let go in your case.

Superford is correct - the end bells are plastic as per picture below...

The Warn Winches - A2000 and A2500 do not have dynamic breaking and will not "HOLD THE LOAD"
(To see if your winch has dynamic breaking - winch a heavy load to almost stall the motor then release the winch switch - if the line spools back out of the winch, you do not have dynamic breaking and DO NOT TRUST that winch as the line spools back out under load).

DO NOT tow a stuck quad by the winch line either (Strip the end bells)
----- hook to the frame See picture #2 weld a tow hook to your winch mount bracket.

The stuck quad can winch to a another stationary quad (do not drive ahead to help pull the stuck quad as you exceed the winch rating and again Strip the end bells) let the stuck quad winch all the way out.

The new Warn Extreme winches still donot have Dynamic Breaking - you need at take the new winch apart and add a gear set

Check the following to see if your winch has Dynamic Breaking (will hold under load)

Drive Products, 18073-107 Avenue Edmonton, 780-483-7867
Tonka 4X4, 7223 Girard Road, Edmonton, (780) 465-1427

Remember instead of winching to stall the motor - try using a 4000lb pulley hooked to a tree or stationary quad -- that will double your winching power from 2000lbs to 4000lbs and is a lot easier on your winch.

Last edited:

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These small winches we put on our ATV's DO NOT have brakes! The friction from the motor and two planitary gear sets is all that holds the drum from turning.

ATV's range in price from $8k to $15K. And then you spend $20 to secure them? HUH?:rant::hmm::didimiss::tearhairout:

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats why you need an enclosed trailer. we lightly strap ours down with a couple small straps and they don't even move. princess auto sells some nice big ratchet straps for pretty cheap that we really like.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When tyeing down your quad

DO NOT hook to the body of the quad - use the axles/frame
--- when hitting hard bumps the suspension colapses and unhooks your strap
--- Instead loop around the suspention/axles or frame then to the trailer

DO NOT just hook the straps under the edge.
--- other wise when you do hit a bump the slack in the strap allows the hook to drop the 2" and unhooks from the edge... by by quad.
--- pass the hook up through the stake pocket and hook to top of the stake pocket.
--- strap hook should stay hooked onto the top of stake pocket even when the strap is loose

New ruling for 2008 or 2009
--- All tye down straps will have to have the white load level label on them (so do not cut yours off)
--- Also each strap is to be able to hold the load of the entire quad.
--- Fraid, knotted or cut straps will brobably be rejected (if stopped by partol)

Buy 2' ratchet straps - you will be a lot happier
--- easier to use
--- ratchet mechanism works with sand or mud caked in it
--- Ratchet has enough power to actually suck down the quad so it does not move or roll.

Qub3d

Reaction score
Summiteer... thats good info. :) I agree... a winch is good security as a supplement to tiedowns... not to be used as a tiedown on it's own. Winch issues asside... when trailering an ATV, the most important thing is to suck them down to the trailer as tight and low as possible and eliminate the bouncing effect.

Doesn't that kill the suspension?

Qub3d

Reaction score
A note on the costco Monster straps I have two sets of those and I found my one set of four, foul and slip at times, took them back and found that set was faulty, just check if the locking plate is long enough over the wheel part. Some sets are short and some are longer, That is the ones with the red strap and grey handles.

Thanks Dragonlady, I have found out that my straps before these monster ones were like that and would bind from it. Haven't had the least bit of problems from the monster ones yet though and the second release / locking plate is wide enough that it stay's smooth on release.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a set of these from Bumper to Bumper, been using them for a few years now. work well on the quad and the sled, they never come loose once tightened.
roperatchettiedowns.jpg

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a set of these from Bumper to Bumper, been using them for a few years now. work well on the quad and the sled, they never come loose once tightened.
roperatchettiedowns.jpg

I seen them at the ATV show in Edmonton last year. They look like a great strap and very easy to use.

randster

Reaction score
The cheap ratchet straps (4 per quad) work fine for me. Being cheap, I get new ones regularly.
I also cut the excess strap off and burn the ends with a torch, so they don't fray at the ends. And remember they stretch, particularly when they get wet.

SQUIRTIS

Reaction score
So what you guys are saying is that simply putting your quad in park/in gear and locking the brakes arent enough LOL

my buddy leaves his quad in the back of his truck with just that....actually, only think he uses just the park....WHAT???THATS WHAT THE TAIL GATE IS FOR

I rachet strap all four corners on my quad.... and wouldnt do it any other way

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find them REALLY hard to release under load. Otherwise not too bad of a strap.
yeah, you have to pull the rope like you're tightening it when you hit the release to take some tension off the mechanism. only other problem with them is when the rope gets wet then freezes, makes them kinda stiff. I've got a milk crate full of the old ratchet and pinch style straps that never get used now.

Top Bottom