Still Shopping... HELP NEEDED! 2008 Ski-Doo Summit 163 or 2009 Polaris Dragon 163??

aspinajr

Reaction score
Ok, now I know the problems of both models.... But here I have a 2008 Ski-Doo Summit 163 with 4000 miles at $5000 or 2009 Polaris Dragon 163 with 800 miles for $5200. Now I want a Ski Doo, but the Polaris Dealer, who seems to be a real honest guy, say the Polaris is more bang for my buck. Both sleds have all the updates and there is a snow show this weekend where I can continue to shop. seems there are a lot of 144 and 151's out there but few 163's.

Ok, let the comments rip! What would you do? Please keep in mind I am a new rider with little experience but a fast and aggressive learner.

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

Al

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the Doo has a new motor in it I'd consider it but not if it hasn't. 800 miles is pretty low mileage. Maybe someone else can help. What year of the Dragons did they have a bad motor?

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thing you're an aggressive learner, you'll learn how to replace motors with either choice. For the 5000 mark you're either going to get a good shape rev or a cat but most xp's in that range will be ready to grenade, the m series is like the dragon but more power and better motor just diamond drives tend to be suspect with higher mileage, if you find an xp in the 5k range and its got the crank bearing upgraded or a dragon with the fix kit they're good if that's what you're looking for, keep in mind though the xp can be a lot of fun with the whole carb deal and flooding which was common on the rev and xp after rolling them and going to start them back up, in not all about cat by any stretch but for anyone jumping into the sport with 5grand you can pick up some nice sleds, I'm looking to find one for the gf for the same kind of money and have found lots of cats but I'm trying to stay all the same chassis for ease if stealing parts if needed

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check into the reputation of the dealer and find if all updates are done. If you are just starting out do not be scared of dragon 700s as well. Have fun and then upgrade as you get more experience and envision what your next sled should be by seeing the product in the hills for yourself. As the previous poster suggested fuel injection is nice.

aspinajr

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the info. What do you mean by grenade. top end blowing? The xp has a new top end and all of the issues the 08's had have been fixed on this machine. it just has 4000 miles which seems high to ask $5000 firm. It came from a very well known dealer (Felker) who said him self this is a good buy as he knows the sled. That is comforting to know he rides with the guy I am buying this sled from.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy my rev for $5,000. I have $7,500 of new crap into it and spare parts out the wazoo. But it's an '04

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 08 dragon and as far as I knew they had issues up to 11!Polaris never had a clear cut fix other than keep rebuilding the engines!My dragon popped at 900 miles and kept popping till it left my yard a couple hundred miles later!

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By grenade I mean the motor will blow up the crank bearings were suspect in 08, the dragon chassis is basically an underpowered m chassis cat, the xp chassis is further ahead in the more rider forward design but being carbed is really not that inviting to me the guys in my group are all going from ptek xp to etec xp just because of that and the etec being reliable and powerful, I've been looking for two weeks and found a few m chassis cats, a few rev chassis, 1xp with a ton of miles, and a ton of dragons people are trying to ditch, shouldn't be hard to find something fun get a year under your belt then go newer, I started two years ago on a 900 king cat got hooked then rode them all and went cat, after two years ice again rode them all and plan on a pro rmk upgrade next season, don't be brand loyal, ride what fits

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do this, the dragon is a good chassis with a bad engine design that can be fixed cheap

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, now I know the problems of both models.... But here I have a 2008 Ski-Doo Summit 163 with 4000 miles at $5000 or 2009 Polaris Dragon 163 with 800 miles for $5200. Now I want a Ski Doo, but the Polaris Dealer, who seems to be a real honest guy, say the Polaris is more bang for my buck. Both sleds have all the updates and there is a snow show this weekend where I can continue to shop. seems there are a lot of 144 and 151's out there but few 163's.

Ok, let the comments rip! What would you do? Please keep in mind I am a new rider with little experience but a fast and aggressive learner.

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

Al

LOL i ride doo, but from a re-sale perspective the dragon is a better deal. so when your done with that XP it is gonna have what 5500miles or more.... you think your gonna get anything for it if you decide to re-sale later. they both have there issues at the end of the day... Snow show you will find lots in the parking lot for sale, some where pretty good deals last year.

Top Bottom