Stanger hills -- closed -- temporarily

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
For anyone that was wanting to get out and ride the Stanger Hills area. It is temporarily closed due to the large quantity of rain mother nature has blessed us with.

We will repost once it is opened again.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my trail pass for the winter, what are the rules for SXS, would like to take the ranger and family for a ride one weekend. from the stanger hills lot how far east and west can one travel?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my trail pass for the winter, what are the rules for SXS, would like to take the ranger and family for a ride one weekend. from the stanger hills lot how far east and west can one travel?

In winter, you gotta stick to the ATV trail which runs East from the staging area about 18km. However, in summer months, you're free to use the snowmobile trails with your sxs. I'll see what I can do about posting a trail map of the area later.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trail that goes south past the atv trail towards lake isle now has a Big beaver pond In the middle and I can't get around it yet. Need to bring a chain saw and try to get around the big lake the beavers made. Then you could come out on 633 again. And the muskeg is unreal and bottomless. Last week there was still frost at 3' deep. The renny 1000 winched about 1/4 mile in total. And I swear I sweat 20lbs off. Lol.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup spent two days there last year with a buddies trex I got through on the Forman but it was a tough slug :)

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
The trail that goes south past the atv trail towards lake isle now has a Big beaver pond In the middle and I can't get around it yet. Need to bring a chain saw and try to get around the big lake the beavers made. Then you could come out on 633 again. And the muskeg is unreal and bottomless. Last week there was still frost at 3' deep. The renny 1000 winched about 1/4 mile in total. And I swear I sweat 20lbs off. Lol.

Is this the beaver dam you speak of or there's another a bit to the south of this yet on the trail.

buje3ubu.jpg

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's another you could cross that one. Lol.
The other one not so much :)

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
That was last spring. Crossed over the top of the dam itself, although was a bit tricky getting on top around the fence posts on the west side. The other dam to the south of this one was doable as well, but one had to skirt the edges going to the west along the treeline, cut across after the dam and then follow back along other edge to the trail again. Was anywhere from a foot to 3 ft deep. Beavers must of really built it up now if its impassable. Bet that stretch of skeg from there to Jones Beach is next to impossible now.

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
That was last spring. Crossed over the top of the dam itself, although was a bit tricky getting on top around the fence posts on the west side. The other dam to the south of this one was doable as well, but one had to skirt the edges going to the west along the treeline, cut across after the dam and then follow back along other edge to the trail again. Was anywhere from a foot to 3 ft deep. Beavers must of really built it up now if its impassable. Bet that stretch of skeg from there to Jones Beach is next to impossible now.

they were doing some work last fall on that skeg stretch with Rig Mats and such.
they have closed them because its too wet and they don't want the trails to a point where they are beyond repair.

We will have an update for you as soon as possible.

I'll see if Marvin can come on and give us some more information.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
used to ride from 757 to darwell back in the ATC days, don't think it was even considered a trail back then, good times on the 225 dx and 350x

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
used to ride from 757 to darwell back in the ATC days, don't think it was even considered a trail back then, good times on the 225 dx and 350x

I bet. Been around 8 years since I done that leg of the trail and there was some tuff going then. Hate to see it now with all the traffic the trails see nowadays.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this the beaver dam you speak of or there's another a bit to the south of this yet on the trail.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/13/buje3ubu.jpg
That pic is the pond I believe the groomer fell in a few yrs back. It is just north of the wood chip atv trail right. The one I'm talking about is south of that. It used to be a beaver trench/creek for a few yrs. you needed snorkels to cross the 7'wide trench. This has since become a huge lake. I couldn't even walk to the trench part with hip waiters cause it is so deep.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
That pic is the pond I believe the groomer fell in a few yrs back. It is just north of the wood chip atv trail right. The one I'm talking about is south of that. It used to be a beaver trench/creek for a few yrs. you needed snorkels to cross the 7'wide trench. This has since become a huge lake. I couldn't even walk to the trench part with hip waiters cause it is so deep.

That pond would be big enough to swallow a groomer indeed. I do recall a trail going off to the east not far south of that pond. Never knew the name of it or rode it though. Intersects the trail pretty much at the top of a hill? I do know the other beaver pond and that trench though. Someone must of blasted them dams a few years back though cause I recall one season they were all empty and it was a drier year to so no water for the beavers to try and catch.

Top Bottom