Spot satellite system

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After reading the post on the missing sledders and everyone talks about spot what are they for do? Please no bashing or useless posts, as I would like some useful information on these. What do they do? Where do they work, cost of buying, monthly fees, anything you can tell me. Could we get a group buy going (anyone interested). I didn't see any at the Regina sled show, hopefully I didn't miss it. Thanks Mark:d

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I went to the site. I will be getting one of these very shortly, before I go sledding or quadding again. Does anybody of our supporting vendors sell these?:d

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good call arcticdodge...
We got a two year subscription with tracking feature, got the unit free when we got the two year sub. They always have a dif promo on that gets the unit pretty cheap.
If hubby is out without me, you bet I'm checking the map for way points for where he's been and his 'all ok' message. If they were to get stuck overnight, they are prepared and would just plan to head out in the am...but I would know this and wait til the next day before panic sets in! You can send a message to send help too without getting S&R involved and if you know their location, buddies can head out to help. At a click of my mouse I can see on google earth exactly where they are and where they've been! (Make sure you turn it off before going into the peeler bar...;) )
I even use it when I'm camping alone, I send all ok message to hubby at night and first thing in the am. Take it travelling too. It works where cell phones don't. Get a flat tire, hit the ditch...just hit the button for hubby to come rescue my azz! :D

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just purchased the Spot2 on-line. Looks like a great piece of mind when in the back country. It doesn't replace common sense and some knowledge of how to take care of "yourself" should situations arise.:beer:

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought one of these today for 99.00US pretty cheap, and may just come in handy some time!:d

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read that they didn't do anything for the guys who were on the hill overnight and didn't work for the SAR team that went to find them either. Personally I would want to know why they didn't work before trusting my safety to one and what SPOT was doing to ensure they worked in the future. How about a group buy on Iridium sat phones, these things seem to be a little more reliable?

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one last year, i really like that the wife is not worrying all the time that i'm in the hills, works well you will like it

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read that they didn't do anything for the guys who were on the hill overnight and didn't work for the SAR team that went to find them either. Personally I would want to know why they didn't work before trusting my safety to one and what SPOT was doing to ensure they worked in the future. How about a group buy on Iridium sat phones, these things seem to be a little more reliable?

I've been reading a bit on both the Spot and Satellite phones. Last year's Spot, according to users was rather sketchy with it's connection. This year's Spot 2 is supposed to be much more sensitive to satellite access. As for satellite phones, I'm not convinced that they work any better. Don't the phones require stronger satellite feed than the Spot as they are a "2 way" communication device? Spot transmits only one way.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds like these are a good system, inexpensive and resonable price for the service. As no one really knows what happened over the past week-end with them it seems like it is another thing that a person needs to carry with them. I understand there are more pro's then con's so will be picking one up before I head out anywhere this year. Is anybody running the new one or does everyone have the old style. If any supporting vendors carry them please let me know and will be in touch with you. Thanks Mark:d

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even if they are not full proof(mine has worked well for me) 50/50 is way better than 0 for those who have nothing!
catmando!

Top Bottom