Spot me 2 or in-reach

kfrey

Reaction score
I have both and use them both.

Spot:pros: i like to use it to see where i've been, and to let many people know i'm ok or have a problem and where i am. It's quick to push send then put it in your pocket and keep riding. It is battery powered so if dead just swap out(carry spares).

cons: some messages don't get sent. It takes about 3-20 min to send the ones that work, (most work)

In Reach SE: pros: Obviously the two way texting is a benefit if needed. Preload contacts to make it easier. The sync feature is convenient.

cons: i didn't charge it once and on the hill it was dead. no backup power. it still takes a few minutes to work. my longest text so far took 8 min to send.

Both are small enough to be put in a pocket and are durable. If I was to pick one, I would take the in reach and figure out some kind of backup power.

Utter_Kaos

Reaction score
Thanks guys I will be buying the In reach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
I have both and use them both.

Spot:pros: i like to use it to see where i've been, and to let many people know i'm ok or have a problem and where i am. It's quick to push send then put it in your pocket and keep riding. It is battery powered so if dead just swap out(carry spares).

cons: some messages don't get sent. It takes about 3-20 min to send the ones that work, (most work)

In Reach SE: pros: Obviously the two way texting is a benefit if needed. Preload contacts to make it easier. The sync feature is convenient.

cons: i didn't charge it once and on the hill it was dead. no backup power. it still takes a few minutes to work. my longest text so far took 8 min to send.

Both are small enough to be put in a pocket and are durable. If I was to pick one, I would take the in reach and figure out some kind of backup power.

you can buy a ram mount that connects to a car, through cigarette lighter or directly to a sled much like ski foo gps does and or have a solar charger...inreach makes all three, however charging it takes less than a couple of hours and it is good for at least 3-4 days with it on...pretty wicked battery life...

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can any of you InReach users provide an update on the use of your products? Ferniesnow- has yours improved based upon some of your initial finding in this thread??

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The global star phones only work when satellites are overhead. Unless things have changed in the last year and a half since I last used one. Go to globalstar website and look up the area you will be riding in. It will give you a list of times that you will have service. (i.e.: it will say 1:15pm till 1:31pm 16 min) then it will give you the next time etc. Can be up to half hour or more between optimum times. You can usually download about three or four days from the time you run the report. I used to e-mail the list to myself and then I could review it on my cell phone for optimum call times without carrying a paper list. It is very accurate and we used to use this method all the time.

Top Bottom