Spot me 2 or in-reach

Utter_Kaos

Reaction score
Debating to pick one of these up just can't decide on what one any thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the guys I know are using in reach and they work really well. We have zero cell service in the kakwa area and the in reach has given us reliable communications. Can't say how the spot 2 works.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a spot and as of late it hasn't been working very well ... messages not being sent there for resulting in frantic calls when I get to the room ... I like the feature on the in reach of the message sent indicator light also I like the two way text I'm thinking of picking one up soon

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have spot2 and it's working great. Heavy snowfall for the past 2 days and no issues at all.
I did find out recently that it works better when the unit is horizontal. I have mine clipped to my strap on my avy bag on top of my shoulder.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't wast ur money on any other device
Just buy a spot sat phone
And acquire RCMP phone numbers in the areas u ride in
as u can't just call 911

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't wast ur money on any other device
Just buy a spot sat phone
And acquire RCMP phone numbers in the areas u ride in
as u can't just call 911

Same here. bought a globalstar phone. its about the size of an I phone just 2.5 times thicker. Paid $500 for the phone and $500 a year for 960 mins. I phone to tell people they missed a good trip. Just to rub it in sort a speak.lol

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Go into a shop and try them both out...for most a sat phone is still too pricey and the in reach is easy to two way text and communicate from a single device.

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same here. bought a globalstar phone. its about the size of an I phone just 2.5 times thicker. Paid $500 for the phone and $500 a year for 960 mins. I phone to tell people they missed a good trip. Just to rub it in sort a speak.lol

I had a Globalstar sat phone, coverage in the mountains around the Whistler area is poor. Iridium sat is supposed to be far superior (in reach uses Iridium),I have not used anything on the Iridium network so I dont have personal experience. Do some homework on the 2 systems for coverage.

ned2227

Reaction score
If you go with a sat phone Iridium is the best choice. It has much better coverage of northern Canada.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
You actually CAN just call 911 with a spot sat phone.. it will forward it to the nearest emergency dispatcher to your location instantly.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Globalstar sat phone, coverage in the mountains around the Whistler area is poor. Iridium sat is supposed to be far superior (in reach uses Iridium),I have not used anything on the Iridium network so I dont have personal experience. Do some homework on the 2 systems for coverage.

I was told the opposite. I'm not going to make claims that one is better than the other. Mine is a spot global which s exactly the same as globalstar phones. I have used it in some low ceiling situations in the mountains and it worked fine. I did my research and this is what I bought good or bad.

You actually CAN just call 911 with a spot sat phone.. it will forward it to the nearest emergency dispatcher to your location instantly.

I will have to try this or do some research because I thought I read that this wasn't possible because they can't track a Sat Call.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That didn't take long to find. This is good info to know.

Globalstar improves emergency 911 service to the United States and Canada
March 2005 - Globalstar the most widely used hand held satellite phone on the planet for both voice and data, has offered emergency 911 services to its customers since 1999. This was well before the Federal Communications Commission FCC required 911 services for all satellite phone providers. This requirement will be starting in February 2005. Providing emergency 911 will be a requirement for all mobile satellite service providers.

Globalstar is a pioneer in providing 911 emergency services for the last five years in the United States and Canada. It has been Globalstar's commitment to offer this service since the company's service launch in 1999. This service has recently been upgraded to provide a better response to emergency calls. All emergency calls are routed by Globalstar to a contactor's call center. From this call center information from this call can be cross referenced to a North American wide Public Safety Answering Point or (PSAP) database provided by Spatial Data which is located in Irving, Texas. This information is sued to find the location of the closes PSAP of emergency answering point using address information or GPS map coordinates provided by the caller. Emergency personnel can be immediately dispatched to respond to the situation.

GPS readings can be obtained from a Globalstar phone while on an active call. Depending on which software version is in the Globalstar phone you can get a longitude and latitude reading by pressing a few keys on the keypad while on an active call. The longitude and latitude is then displayed on the phone with the amount of error. The reading is only accurate within a ten mile radius.

911 services are critical to Globalstar's customers. Globalstar is pleased to be an industry leader in providing this needed service at no additional charge to its customers. Reliable communication to emergency services is a positive move forward for the satellite phone industry. Globalstar is committed to improve and continue to provide reliable communications to emergency services. Unlike Globalstar's competition, Globalstar 911 service is not only available for its customer in the United States is also available to users everywhere in Canada.

Areas where Globalstar provides emergency 911 services include the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and Puerto Rico.

Spatial Data is one of the leading providers of location based information. They do this by integrating software, service and data information.

Globalstar offers both voice and data satellite communication from virtually anywhere in 120 countries.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After researching it I will be going with the in reach se also. Just need to catch up on the bills first lol

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have had the initial SPOT and the SPOT2. My SPOT2 was not dependable/lack in consistency in sending messages. I checked out the inReach and bought one.

With the storm cells coming through Fernie I have had trouble with the inReach "contacting satellites". On the Coal Creek road before the staging area, it literally took hours to send my starting "pre-set" message. Yesterday, when I got back to the truck, I tried to send my other "pre-set" message and it took a long time also. I forgot the inReach on the sled on the deck, when I moved the truck the inReach fell off the truck and laid in the parking lot for 18 hours and the message was still not sent. The battery power was at 46% when I plugged it in this evening. It finally sent the message at 10:07 am this morning and that was yesterday's message from about 5:00 pm.

I am still working on how this thing works in everyday life and what interferes with the satellite reception and what doesn't. If one is in the alpine with no interference, it will work fine. But one has to know how it works in everyday life with hills/mountains/trees/gullies in the way. Don't get me wrong, I think it is great but just not really convinced after 3 weeks of using it.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My gen 1 Inreach was acting quite pokey this weekend too.
It always sent my message, just seemed to take longer than normal.
I do know they have been working on some things on their network as of late.

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My gen 1 Inreach was acting quite pokey this weekend too.
It always sent my message, just seemed to take longer than normal.
I do know they have been working on some things on their network as of late.

Turts, typing on Tapatalk
mine acted kooky as well, would send texts immediately but incoming seemed to take on average around ten minutes even tho it said the wife had responded only a minute after I texted her. my buddy just bought the SE, his was the opposite, would take 5 minutes or so for his to go out, but his incoming were immediate.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another thing I discovered was that the bluetooth has pretty good range, I was in the Allan cabin with the gen 1 inreach on my sled parked outside about 20 feet away from the cabin and received a message on my phone.

harper44

Reaction score
I had a Globalstar sat phone last weekend in Revelstoke that I was testing out with the intention of purchasing later. I was not able to make a connection at any time throughout the 3 days of riding and trying it in a bunch of different spots. I was pretty disappointed with it. I don't have any experience with other devices

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Globalstar sat phone last weekend in Revelstoke that I was testing out with the intention of purchasing later. I was not able to make a connection at any time throughout the 3 days of riding and trying it in a bunch of different spots. I was pretty disappointed with it. I don't have any experience with other devices
same happened to us, we camped in the staging area in Hasler one trip and rented a globalstar phone. we couldn't get it to make a call over 4 days. we ended up asking a gas plant operator we heard calling his clicks on the two way to call our wives for us to let them know we were all good. even if they work good 90% of the time, for the price of them no way will I be buying one anytime soon to use in the mountains. I have had 100% success using a spot and the inreach.

Top Bottom